If Bloodraven is "alive" in the books...

Tradecraft

8 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

But did Bittersteel know Bloodraven used magic to extend his life? Most of Westeros just assumes he disappeared. Even if he did, would Bittersteel have the time to act on this information?

Bittersteel died before Bloodraven disappeared, so unless Bittersteel somehow managed to fake his own death (from battle wounds, in front of all his captains) and did so prospectively on the assumption that Bloodraven would in future extend his own... then no.

45 minutes ago, Tradecraft said:

And, you know, for something with such little evidence... I kind of like the idea of Bittersteel plotting revenge/takeover of westeros... Two immortal enemies fighting past their natural lifetimes... as avatars of the Bracken/Blackwood feud.  Possibly forever?

I like the symbolism, I just don't see this happening.

46 minutes ago, Tradecraft said:

Bittersteel knew everything about Bloodraven (as much as possible), he'd be obsessed with his mortal enemy. They'd both be spying on each other. The whole realm knew Bloodraven was a "sorcerer". 

Bittersteel would want to know the source of Bloodraven's magic/power. 

Yes, but Bloodraven did not display any life-extension magical abilities. His magic was in the realms of spying and probably assassinating babies in the womb, if we believe a certain septon. Bittersteel would have made his preparations according to what he knew of Bloodraven's magic, not something new he learned beyond the Wall.

Bittersteel having some anti-spying setup would fall within the line of reason.

5 minutes ago, SaffronLady said:

I like the symbolism, I just don't see this happening.

Yes, but Bloodraven did not display any life-extension magical abilities. His magic was in the realms of spying and probably assassinating babies in the womb, if we believe a certain septon. Bittersteel would have made his preparations according to what he knew of Bloodraven's magic, not something new he learned beyond the Wall.

Bittersteel having some anti-spying setup would fall within the line of reason.

Again. I have no real proof. 

-I've got Tyrion calling Illyrio "dead" and "sea cow" (they live in fresh water rivers.... like a hippo or "river horse" in latin)... like Aegor Rivers. 

-I've got Illy(Rio)... "Rio" means river. 

-I've got Illyrio being associated with Rhllor, as a fire god worshipper like Melissandre (who is supposed to be unnaturally old). 

-I've got Bloodraven still around in Planetos. I've got the never ending Bracken/Blackwood Feud. 

-I've got Illyrio being "fat" which I think is a glamour,  everyone says he's freakish strong and fast and light on his feet.

-I've got Illyrio associated with the Golden company and Aegon (which links them all to the blackfyres)

All of it is circumstantial evidence. Which I bundled into him being Bittersteel. 

The main reason I like Quaithe as Shiera is that would give us a manifestation of each of the four great bastards in the current story. Assuming Aegon descends from Daemon Blackfyre, we also have Bittersteel's legacy in the Golden Company, and Bloodraven as the three eyed crow. 

On 7/28/2023 at 1:00 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

The main reason I like Quaithe as Shiera is that would give us a manifestation of each of the four great bastards in the current story. Assuming Aegon descends from Daemon Blackfyre, we also have Bittersteel's legacy in the Golden Company, and Bloodraven as the three eyed crow. 

I also think Shiera is alive. The fight is three sided. 

Two men fighting over a woman. And she can decide the outcome.