Why did Gerold Hightower stay at the Tower of Joy?

Angel Eyes

Something that I find interesting about Robert's Rebellion is that when Lord Commander Gerold Hightower went to find Prince Rhaegar Targaryen at the Tower of Joy, he and Rhaegar swapped places: Hightower stayed at the Tower to guard Lyanna while Rhaegar went to command the King's army. Between the three Kingsguard there, I find Hightower's placement there quite suspicious; Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent were Rhaegar's close friends and in on his plans with Lyanna, but Hightower, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, would have been counted on as a commander for the royal army, as had happened during the War of the Ninepenny Kings when Ormund Baratheon was slain and Gerold had taken command of the combined Westerosi army.

So in theory, what about that tower and its occupants was more important than commanding the royal army and taking an active role in military matters, as Lewyn Martell, Barristan Selmy, and Jonothor Darry had at the Battle of the Trident? What about Rhaegar's orders was more important than King Aerys' orders? Lyanna was already guarded by two Kingsguard, why were three needed? Even if Rhaegar and Lyanna had conceived Jon Snow (unproven as of yet in the books) and Jon is/was the Prince who was Promised, he would have been illegitimate... unless Rhaegar had annulled his marriage to Elia making Rhaenys and Aegon illegitimate (man those kids would have had it rough, being disowned by both grandfather and father, if they'd even survived the Sack of King's Landing).

Edited by Angel Eyes

I think saving the child was extremely important to Rhaegar. Possibly more important than winning the battle. Whatever he had learned in arcane research or visions made him place that value on Targ children.

I can't remember how many companions Eddard rode to the TOJ with, but possibly Rhaegar anticipated that two KG would not be enough. In the event, three failed, but that is thought to be due to a dishonorable move by Howland Reed.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, Castellan said:

I think saving the child was extremely important to Rhaegar. Possibly more important than winning the battle. Whatever he had learned in arcane research or visions made him place that value on Targ children.

I can't remember how many companions Eddard rode to the TOJ with, but possibly Rhaegar anticipated that two KG would not be enough. In the event, three failed, but that is thought to be due to a dishonorable move by Howland Reed.

If that were the case how come he left Rhaenys and Aegon to the hounds so to speak?

There were 7 Northerners who rode to the Tower of Joy: Ned, Howland, Lord Dustin, Martyn Cassel (Rodrik's brother and Jory's father), Ser Mark Ryswell, Ethan Glover (the lone surviving member of Brandon's ill-fated party to the Red Keep), and Theo Wull (I think he was adapted out).