The significance of Ethan Glover

James Steller

On 11/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, James Steller said:

Obviously it’s still a mystery why he was spared, but I’m open to hearing any viable theories.

At first glance, I would have assumed that he was needed to help guide Eddard to Lyanna. But if he knew all along where Lyanna was, then why wouldn’t he and Brandon Stark have gone after her in the first place? Or is it all just a red herring?

Because Aerys could be merciful to the deserving.  Look back at Duskendale. He was tortured by his captors. The captors were guilty of the worst violation of guest rights ever. Aerys still spared the life of the young Dontos due to his lack of direct involvement and as a favor to Ser Barristan.  Ethan must have spilled the beans on the Starks and sang about Southron ambitions. 

I think a possible explanation is that perhaps Ethan didn't have a father.  We're never told about a Glover being executed by Aerys as far as I know.  What we do know is that the people that were executed were all executed after their fathers arrived at King's Landing.  

For some reason Aerys waited for the fathers to arrive so he could execute (sacrifice?) both the father and the son.