Manderlys, Umbers and Rodrik in Bran II ACoK

Moon Man

1 hour ago, Moon Man said:

As I say, there are many logical reasons to dismiss this as nothing. My question is why the author chose to structure the chapter in this way. For related reasons, I don't see Ockham's razor as a useful tool for investigating literature. Certainly not mystery stories primarily concerned with perspective, intrigue, and deception. This isn't history or science.

That said, I agree it's fairly clear that Manderly built his fleet of his own volition. But did he get money from Winterfell first? Did Robb ever know? These are questions I think we are meant to be able ask after a close reading.

Thanks for the details.

As windy as he was vast, he began by asking Winterfell to confirm the new customsofficers he had appointed for White Harbor. The old ones had been holding back silver for King's Landing rather than paying it over to the new King in the North. "King Robb needs his own coinage as well," he declared, "and White Harbor is the very place to mint it." He offered to take charge of the matter

Grant me the gold and within the year I will float you sufficient galleys to take Dragonstone and King's Landing both."

It’s pretty certain where he got the money 

21 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

As windy as he was vast, he began by asking Winterfell to confirm the new customsofficers he had appointed for White Harbor. The old ones had been holding back silver for King's Landing rather than paying it over to the new King in the North. "King Robb needs his own coinage as well," he declared, "and White Harbor is the very place to mint it." He offered to take charge of the matter

Grant me the gold and within the year I will float you sufficient galleys to take Dragonstone and King's Landing both."

It’s pretty certain where he got the money 

Yeah, in any case, it's likely he took gold from Winterfell, either to mint into new coinage o to spend on the ships. At first Rodrik defers both proposals for review by the king. We never hear directly if Robb ever approved either, or if Rodrik decided to approve either or hand over any physical gold on his own accord. This tells us nothing by itself. I just think the structure of the chapter is about hinting at some things that float over our eight year old protagonist's head as they happen.