most SHOCKING moment (spoilers)

Arwen

What was the one moment that most totally, completely shocked you, in the whole series?

Joffrey's death. Poor boy. I hate violence against innocent children.

Ok no. Bran's fall, probably (I really thought he had been killed). Not the most shocking event when you step back, but on the first read I think the first shocking moments in the story have more impact.

I said "holy [excrement]!" at least three times when Cersei and Jaime were "wrestling" and then Bran ended up swandiving out a window.

Later on, it occurred to me that there were things kids really should not see, so I said it again. I mean, could you imagine him saying that all innocently in a sex-ed class. "I just saw twins [copulating].... teacher, why are you changing color like that?"

Jaime and Cersei then Bran's fall.

The first really shocking bit of the series.

Then of course Ned's death, Red Wedding and other surprises of ASOS.

Gave AGOT to a friend who first thought it was a kind of kiddies' fantasy with so many children as main characters at the beginning. Then she came to Bran's chapter and went "What?".

Also sent me a "WTF? Killing main character so early" e-mail at 2AM when Ned died :D

Can't wait to hear from her ASOS reading ;)

Must be Jaime, Bran and "things I do for love" scene.

It shocked me sooo much.

After that I always thought among the lines of "Well everything is possible here".

Btw. I can understand everyone who says Oberyn Martell too:

He was bigged up all through the series as serious bad-ass, and than was killed 100 pages since he finally appeared.

I almost dropped my book there.

Most shocking moment was probably the Red Wedding and actually reading the words 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' followed by the death of my favourite character at that point, Robb.

There are other moments but they fall under different variables - 'most gutting' is definitely Oberyn Martell's death for instance. I have never been so sick to my stomach after reading that.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the Martinesque moments are of the gutting variety - where injustice and misfortune are heaped upon likeable characters.

I really didn't think Arya was dead, so it's a bit surprising to see it listed. At that point, I had a strong feeling that Sandor had mellowed a bit (in fact, ever since the Blackwater he hasn't been quite his old self - for the better).

The last third or so of SoS was so full of unexpected things (to me, at least)--Joffrey's death (not that I objected), the Red Wedding, Lysa's "flight"--and then, right on the last page, UnCat. And I knew it would be a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg time before the next book. And I literally screamed "You can't leave me like this!"

Ned's death: that one really got to me... I really liked Ned, and I could still hope everything would turn out fine, but then I guess I came to understand that it was a GRRM novel, which means no-one is really safe.

Red Wedding: I saw it coming from all the fore-shadowing, but still, it cut deep... The sheer injustice of it, aaargh!

Maester Aemon's death: I was really sad when he I read of his deteriorating health and death... Also something that was inevitable, but I just hoped so strongly that he would get the chance to meet Dany (as he was sent away from the Wall anyway). Especially after his tearful rememberance of the times the "Gods saw fit to test his vows". And his talking to Egg in his sickness.. "Egg, I dreamed I was old..." Just so terribly sad.

Red Wedding/Arya's "death"

I consider this all one scene. Just one big death orgy of the Starks. I was crying so hard by the time Arya "died" that I had to put the book down and just curl up in a ball and cry. Then go eat before I could even think about reading again. There was definitely shouting. (I'm a very emotional person, what can I say? :dunno:)

Wow I'm glad you lived thru it! I am also very emotional but I don't think I cried, but I did immediately look ahead for another Arya chapter, and was very relieved to find it.

By far the Red Wedding. These books are actually the first books I've read from start to finish (and I just got them for christmas) and I love them. I was warned ahead of time of the "no one is safe" motiff that Martin follows. When Ned died, I was like "holy shit, are you fucking kidding me? that sucks". When the Red Wedding happened I was like "Oh no he di'int!" and dropped the book. I picked it up, read the Arya chapter, got to the part where Sandor whacks her in the head and literally went bonkers. I threw the book and I was swearing outloud calling Martin a "fucking asshole" and every name under the sun.

lol....

but you kept reading in spite of it....

QUOTE(Ser Romin @ Feb 22 2007, 05.21)

By far the Red Wedding. These books are actually the first books I've read from start to finish (and I just got them for christmas) and I love them. I was warned ahead of time of the "no one is safe" motiff that Martin follows. When Ned died, I was like "holy shit, are you fucking kidding me? that sucks". When the Red Wedding happened I was like "Oh no he di'int!" and dropped the book. I picked it up, read the Arya chapter, got to the part where Sandor whacks her in the head and literally went bonkers. I threw the book and I was swearing outloud calling Martin a "fucking asshole" and every name under the sun.

Hahaha, I actually had to buy a new book, the copy I was reading somehow ended up in a couple of pieces after the RW. Sadly I suspected that nothing good was coming from the wedding, but the actual reality of it shocked the pee out of me.

When Bran was shoved out the window, my sister was actually reading the book to me because I was temporarily blind and bed ridden. The book was her choice and I had never heard of it, or Martin before. The only fantasy I had ever read was Tolken. Shock is an understatment. I told my sister to get out of my room and take that stupid book with her. Of course I changed my mind before she got to the door. That scene was by far the hook that made me a nutball fan.

I'd just finished an Eddings binge when I read Thrones, so Ned's execution never was a shock for me. I noted that Arya didn't actually see her father die, and chortled to myself: "Hahah, Mr. Martin thinks he's so clever. He can't fool me like that." It took me all the way to Swords to realize that Ned wasn't coming back.

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

that is hilarious

Wow I'm glad you lived thru it! I am also very emotional but I don't think I cried, but I did immediately look ahead for another Arya chapter, and was very relieved to find it.

Somehow, I didn't think to look ahead for another Arya chapter...I was really pleasantly surprised (that's understating it!) when I came across the next one!!

Archived