most SHOCKING moment (spoilers)

Arwen

Ned's death. I didn't know Martin killed off good guys before that so I was just waiting for his miraculous escape when they chopped his head off.

Red wedding was also shocking, even though I knew bad stuff was going to happen.

Ned's death, and Robb's death. I'd been spoiled for both of them before reading, but they still floored me. Ned's death I wasn't expecting to happen THEN - and it took me a minute to realise what had happened and then I threw the book across the room. Robb's death was more an emotional punch in the gut as opposed to a surprise, since I'd been spoiled, but it still made me put the book down for a while because I just couldn't deal.

Pretty much all my shocking moments have been mentioned. But I'm one of those readers who gets far too involved with the characters and I was literally sobbing in hysterics during most the scenes mentioned. I almost threw up when Gregor literally pulverized Oberyn's head. It took me a few hours to calm down after the Red Wedding. But nothing was sweeter than cheering triumphantly when Joffrey took his last breath and when Cersei was arrested for being an all around psychotic whore. God I love justice! *starts feeling Luca Blightish* Wait that's just violence... Oh well! :thumbsup:

I'd have to say that Bran's defenestration was very shocking. This is what broke the sereis into being fascinating. However, I really wasn't all that shocked with Ned's death, though. In some of the other more cynical, historically based fantasy I've read (ie: across the Nightengale floor), I've seen similar things, and you know that the honorable guy frequently is the first one to bite it. Other shocking moments: Red Wedding, Stannis appearing at the wall.

I've only had two moments in ASOIAF where I was talking/yelling at the books.

1) The fight between Oberyn Martell and the Mountain. My heart was in my mouth the whole time, and when Oberyn impaled Gregor, I practically started cheering! Then when he got smashed, you would have heard something like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

2) The Red Wedding. It didn't really register with me at first, when Caitlyn grabbed Edgar (or whatever he's called) I was like "Why is he wearing mail?" That was a bloody shock, and I hate Walder Fray (all of them!)

When Cersei was remembering her childhood dream of her and Rhaegar. I was shocked at how SHE was planning on staying true to Rhaegar...Almost seemed human for a moment.

Doran's plan on marrying Arianne to Viserys! Just imagine the possibilities if Viserys hadn't died....

Oh, and this will be shallow but I was like :stunned: when Sam got laid...

And o'course, Ned dying...there are no longer ANY good men in westeroes...

Have I mentioned this before? Oh, well, I'll mention it again.

Stannis. At the wall. Doing everything that the so-called 'Kings' (ie Joff, Robb, Dany, and Balon) should have been doing; protecting the realm from Mance Rayder. I think it was then that I wanted him for the Iron Throne, or at least the second runner-up if Dany or Euron get it instead. If only he'd stick around to fight the Others...

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, I will first concur with the usual suspects of Bran, Ned and the RW. One thing that totaly shocked me, and I never saw coming at all, was FatZollo hitting his mark. Not in a million years did I think Jamie ws going to lose his hand. I could have seen him dying for sure, but the hand just shocked the hell out of me.

lol its already been covered a few times, but robbs death completely caught me off guard. i knew old walder was pissed but bolton too...man i was in a state of shock. i had to re-read the chapter like 2x just to grasp what had happened. robb was the bomb )

God I love justice! *starts feeling Luca Blightish* Wait that's just violence... Oh well! :thumbsup:

And Gregor doesn't come even close to this guy, who is still run-away no1 psycho maniac ever :cheers:

Boy, how much I love Suikoden2 :thumbsup:

:pirate:

Call me an unemotional bastard, but nothing really shocked me. Even at the Red Wedding, my reaction was along the lines of, "Huh. That blows."

UnCat hanging Brienne pissed me off royally, though. Looks like she might get out of it, though, so I'm not going to spaz out yet.

However, if Martin decides to throw another of his curveballs and kill Tyrion at some point, anyone within half a mile or so is going to hear me screaming in berserk rage when that happens.

I'm probably very unoriginal in saying this, but it has to be the Red Wedding. I think I was sort of screaming "What the...? Oh my God! NO? Seriously? NO!", thinking "This can't be! This can't happen! No one would do this to his characters! George Martin, are you even human?!" Haha. I bet it must have seemed pretty scary for anyone walking by then, seeing me shouting at my book.

"I'm going to say Jaime & Cersei getting in on & the associated dropping of Bran in AGOT. Once I picked my jaw up off the floor after that one, I realized that I was reading an entirely different kind of fantasy series than I was used to"

Definitely!!! :cheers:

My Axe..................quickly!

Aryas blindness was the only thing that really shocked me. I wouldnt have been nearly as shocked by hear death (although I would have been much more upset), but i really never saw blindness coming; its so completely unusual for a character in a book.

Neds death was, for me, an almost happy moment. It really affirmed that this was going to be a totally awesome series.

Archived