Best Fighters of Westeros

Aunai

I always felt that the Hound was the par excellance, so to speak, because he is the most multi-disciplined. He is like Albert Pujols, who is the perfect combination of balance and power. If Pujols swung any harder, he would be like Arod, prone to wild swings. If he aimed for balance, he would make weaker contact. Sandor is similar in that he is the very biggest "swordsman" you can find; any bigger, and you end up with more of a berzerker with little balance or speed.

How big is Sandor? Because it is possible to be incredibly big and strong, while simultaneously quick with excellent balance...

you would have to take the battle environment/situation in to account. Single combat, touney melee, open field, middle of a large battle. are all factors which could change how well someone performs.

In terms of straight forward single combat, i believe the red viper of dorne is well up there not just for his poison but his general skill with a spear is outstanding. I would also like to think Randyll Tarly could be a contender as he is mentioned a couple of times as being the finest soldier in westeros, and he also has his greatsword heartsbane.

I believe sandor > gregor. sandor seems to keep his wits together in a fight, whereas gregor lets his anger take control.

in terms of fighting skill and what is either shown in the books or spoken of by other characters, my list would be (in no particular order)

Arthur Dayne

Barristan the Bold

The White Bull

The Red Viper of Dorne

Garlan Tyrell

Quorin Halfhand (reputation as a swordsman is held in high esteem)

Randyll Tarly

Jaime (prime)

Sandor Clegane

honorable mentions:

robert (prime - "war was won with his warhammer")

eddard stark (battle hardened, brilliant tactician, respects death)

loras tyrell (good in tourney melees)

Gregor (mainly his size and fear he instills which are his main strengths)

probabaly missed quite a few out, but hard to think off the top of my head.

I haven't seen a great deal of mention of the Mallister brothers. Both are former tourney/melee winners. Jason slew the heir to the Iron Islands with his own hands (in addition to his work at the Trident) and his brother has surely seen a great deal of action as commander of the Shadow Tower. Also, Yohn Royce is worth mentioning. He has won at least one melee as well and Sansa remembers him easily defeating Eddard and Rodrick, one after the other during his visit to Winterfell.

The best Stark fighter was that one who fought the Dragonknight and lost, but Aemon said he was the toughest opponent he had fought. Forgot his name, but i suppose he would be the only Stark in or around the top-tier.

As for Edd, yeah i beleieve he was a good fighter, but he was renowned for his tactical skills, not his fighting prowess. As for fighting Arthur Dayne, i have no doubt that during the fight, Ned would have had an extra force driving him from his desperation to get to Lyanna. If you do something because you have to, you do it within your limits, however place a family member's life at stake and i bet you would drive yourself beyond your limit and do things you thought you couldnt do.

Cregan Stark was the name I believe.

Im actually of the opinion than Ned is a more than capable fighter but I wouldnt necessarily put him in a top 10 of all time for Westeros. I think he was a pretty good swordsman, but not necessarily great at everything else. As for the Starks in general, I think they get downplayed alot because they were isolated from the rest of Westeros for so long. Alot of their deeds arent known/remembered, but you dont rule the harsh North, defending against Wildlings and rebellions for century upon century if you dont know how to fight.

My top 10 is

Arthur Dayne

Barristan Selmy (who Rickard Stark called the best swordsmen he'd ever seen according to Ned)

Aemon Dragonknight

Robert Baratheon

Gerold Hightower

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jaime Lannister

Lewyn Martell

Garlan Tyrell

Randyll Tarly

• 4 weeks later...

ive always held the opinion that ned stark was a great fighter, much like a derek jeter, eli manning or robert horry ( of the sports world for the super nerds hah J/k) there are those with better stats, better skills and more fan fare but there is something to be said about those who rise to the occasion. thats the sense i got from ned, when the chips are down he has the abilty to keep his cool stay focused and scratch out a W. i think thats why ned wasnt great in tourneys he needs and thrives on the pressure that breaks other men

I've noticed a few times that people remark that we've never seen Garlan Tyrell fight. If they mean from a first person PoV then yes. If they mean "We've heard he trains vs 3-4 at a time, but that is all" then I just noticed during a CoK re-read that we do get a *vague* account of him fighting. I've known it, but it just really clicked that it's the only account of Garlan truly fighting that we get.

To quote Ser Dontos in the last paragraph of the Sansa chapter at the end of the Battle of Blackwater, "It was Lord Renly! Lord Renly in his green armor, with the fires shimmering off his golden antlers. Lord Renly with his tall spear in hand! They say he killed Ser Guyard Morrigen in single combat, and a dozen other great knights as well."

It would appear Garlan Tyrell is quite skilled with a spear as well as blade. We don't now Guyard's skills, but Stannis put him in command of his vanguard for the battle, and he was one of Renly's Rainbow Guard. That along with how he is specifically mentioned, and not lumped in with "a dozen other great knights" would imply he was well known and skilled.

I agree Garlan is probably one of the best. Reasonably after you've made a selection on height you'd pick your best fighter, and they have a lot of choice. We just need to remind ourselves everything said about Renly's Ghost should be taken with a grain of salt as well, of course, not to mention if Ser Guyard was fighting in the Vanguard, he had been fighting since the start of the battle and was thus probably fatigued if not wounded before he encountered Garlan.

True enough on that part. I didn't consider that. The same sort of situation as Lyn Corbray and Lewyn Martell perhaps, although if Guyard was wounded I'm sure it wasn't fatal as Lewyn's was.

• 1 month later...

This is a very general topic...

No particular order!!!

Jon Snow

Mance Rayder (heresay other than his spar with Jon)

Belwas (bad ass)

Victarion

Lyn Corbray

Stannis (Pretty tough)

Bronn

Brienne

Blackfish (maybe a bit past his prime)

Bronze Yohn Royce

Ser Balon Swann

Darkstar (supposedly)

Ser Barristan Selmy (old but still good)

Ser Jaime Lannister (one handed still dangerous)

Ser Loras Tyrell

Gregor Clegane

Sandor Clegane

Syrio Forel

Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper

Khal Drogo

Jorah Mormont

Tyrion (not bad for a dwarf)

Characters of the Past

Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning

Rhaegar Targaryen

Any member of the Kingsguard prior to Jofferey's reign (with some exceptions)

Robert Baratheon

Ned Stark (he was doing well against Jaime)

Daemon Blackfyre (rumoured to be an excellent fighter)

Aegon Rivers, Bittersteel

Brynden Rivers, Bloodraven

Aemon the Dragonknight

Gwayne Corbray

I'm sure I have missed some obvious ones... keep this thread going. I like the different opinions and find them interesting.

• 1 month later...

Archived