Cricket

DJDonegal

He may be the greatest batsman of my lifetime, but I just can't listen to Viv Richards. The man rambles on, saying absolutely nothing of note at very, very great length. Why is this man employed?

Edit: three wides from Harmison, not even close to the square, then a wicket with a straight one as Ganga was too shocked to play it.

God, that's a challenge. I've been trying to explain it to my wife for 10 years, without any luck whatsoever.

Here's probably a good place to start. That or wait for Jeor, Vestrit or Stubby to turn up.

lbw? :uhoh:

complicated is it? Thats cool, sounds like a challenge. I swear to learn the complete rules of the sport of cricket in a months time :smoking:

Stauss really need some runs - particularly against this attack.

Can someone give me a quick description of cricket, im of us extraction, all i know is that its similar to baseball :P

It's really simple.

Both sides dress all in white for easy identification. Each side has 11 players, except for the 12th man who doesn't play. At the start of the game a coin is tossed, the winner of the toss decides who is in first. The team that's in goes out, while the team that's out goes out to try and get the team that's in out. Two players from the team that's in plays until one of them is out and another player then goes in. Once all of the players (but one) is out, that team is out except for the player that is not out. When the team that's in are out, both teams go in, and then the team that was out is now in, so they go out and the team that was in but are now out go in to try to get the team that was out but are now in out. When both teams have been in and out twice the team with the most runs wins. Unless it's a draw.

Both sides dress all in white for easy identification. Each side has 11 players, except for the 12th man who doesn't play. At the start of the game a coin is tossed, the winner of the toss decides who is in first. The team that's in goes out, while the team that's out goes out to try and get the team that's in out. Two players from the team that's in plays until one of them is out and another player then goes in. Once all of the players (but one) is out, that team is out except for the player that is not out. When the team that's in are out, both teams go in, and then the team that was out is now in, so they go out and the team that was in but are now out go in to try to get the team that was out but are now in out. When both teams have been in and out twice the team with the most runs wins. Unless it's a draw.

That description again >_>

TBH the best way to understand cricket is to play it :P

Its how I learnt to understand the game.

I tried watching some of the first day yesterday while I was waiting for some friends upstairs at the Union senete, but the craptactlur SU staff members we have decided to turn it off so they could play loud rubbish pop music that no one actually listens to if they can help it.

Well, aside from sunburning my arms (my own fault for forgetting the suncream) that was an extremely entertaining day. I bet Jerome Taylor is kicking himself after that awful dropped catch Sidebottom offered him, if he'd held on England would have been out for 342 instead of 370. Sidebottom and Monty were obviously having a lot of fun with their last wicket partnership. Then there was Harmison - 3 wides in his first over before he surprised Ganga with a straight one. And then the Windies collapse - 216-4 to 229 all out. In fact, if you count Strauss's wicket in England's first over, there were 7 wickets for 15 runs in just under an hour. And the number of byes they conceded - none of which were the keeper's fault at all, just extremely inaccurate bowling. Still, if the bowlers don't know where the ball is going, what hope do the batsmen have?

Also, Fidel Edwards is a walking no-ball machine.

Oh, and I was sitting next to some guys dressed as pirates. I can confirm that their favourite player is Monty PanesARRRRR!! :pirate:

Edited to add appropriately piratey emoticon

That was an awesome ball from Fidel Edwards to Strauss. I couldn't believe the swing he extracted from it.

Yeah, shame he bowled three consecutive no-balls in the same over though.

Seriously, when both sides concede over 40 extras you know something's wrong.

Yeah, shame he bowled three consecutive no-balls in the same over though.

Seriously, when both sides concede over 40 extras you know something's wrong.

Definitely. It's got beyond laughable right now. Odd thing is how the new guy is England's most controlled bowler. Plunkett and, in particular, Harmy are just everywhere.

Harmy's over where there were 7 wides and 4 byes (or something like that) followed by Ganga's wicket was comical. I actually laughed when Ganga got out.

Normally, a large number of byes indicates an incompetent wicketkeeper. However, aside from the five that Ramdin conceded in the final over yesterday when he let the ball go through his legs to hit the helmet on the ground behind him, neither he nor Prior could have done much about any of them.

Agreed.

And talking of cricket - England are pressing home the advantage. I expect them to declare halfway through the final session and have about 15 overs at the Windies openers.

Cook gets yet another century! The first Englishman to have scored 6 centuries by the age of 22, so sayeth the BBC.

In other news, Pietersen's dismissal sounds rather comical...he needs a helmet with a better strap!

The way the West Indies have been batting I can't England losing this, but probably a good idea to make sure...if they can get to a lead of about 500, I should have thought that would be enough.

Sir Thursday

The Pieterson dismissal is the bizzarest one I've seen in ages, I've seen batsmen back up onto their wickets, hit them with the bat by accident, but never with their helmet.

Another century it may be, but the boy needs to make them bigger. 104, 105, 127, 116, 105, 106. Centuries, sure, but not sparkling scores by any stretch of the imagination.

Archived