Cricket

DJDonegal

My first reaction was Oh. My. God.

But, after checking cricinfo, I find he was player of the year in the county circuit last year and took 50 first class wickets in a championship-winning Notts team.

Plus, like I think Graveney said, he played for Yorkshire for years so he knows Headingly well.

Alsol, he's got a great surname. Commentators and fans will have a lot of fun

Basically, what this says.

Fair enough. It seems his decision went down well in SL, if not without a twinge of disappointment.

Sidebottoms have been playing football (AFL) in Western Australia for a number of years. The inevitable (tame) nickname of "Sidey" will now make itself known in Test cricket. And yes the commentators loved the surname. ;)

Oh dear. :P

Anyway, looks like England haven't entirely ruled out making an even bigger cock-up than putting Flintoff in. Cricinfo's latest report has "With Matthew Hoggard also ruled out through injury and with England's lack of firepower at Lord's so evident, it seems likely that Ryan Sidebottom and James Anderson will be recalled for the match with a batsman - probably Andrew Strauss - missing out to make way for Michael Vaughan." They would actually think of playing five bowlers, none of whom can properly bat, and dropping one of their batsmen, which is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I think in the end the selectors will see the light and we'll have Vaughan in for Shah, and then Prior at 7 and four bowlers.

I'm guessing he must be, or surely his name would have been brought up by now. It's been a very long time so I don't know - maybe he is out. He hasn't retired yet and he's made it back from one career-threatening injury already, so maybe he's still hanging around hoping to get back in the mix.

You'd think, right? But no, Simon Jones has been playing for Glamorgan this county season already and his season has gone as follows:

Friends Provident v Middlesex: 10-2-55-0

Friends Provident v Sussex: 2.4-0-19-0

County Champs D2 v Gloucestershire: (First Innings)18-4-61-0; (Second Innings) 19-4-51-0

Amazingly, it seems England are willing to let Simon Jones continue his rehabilitation rather than rush a known and inspiring name into the squad at the first opportunityas they seem so eager to do with many of their other players. Granted, Jones clearly isn't playing at his best having taken no wickets - but I am quite frankly amazed he's even playing after a career as torrid as his. I hope England leave him alone until the Winter at least.

Amazingly, it seems England are willing to let Simon Jones continue his rehabilitation rather than rush a known and inspiring name into the squad at the first opportunityas they seem so eager to do with many of their other players.

Thanks for the stats there DJ.

Hopefully for Eng and Jones they let him get it right before they expect too much from him. I think they did that with Vaughan and they would have been no doubt tempted to do it with Flintoff this time round.

Archived