The metal thread

sio

Here's the thing about Amon Amarth - every CD and pretty much every song is the same. Like, I love Amon Amarth, and they are good at what they do, they just really aren't all that revolutionary or diverse of a band. Chugging riffs, death metal vocals, and lyrics on Vikings and death...they do it well, but it's all they do.

OK, I can diggit. They might not be the band for me. Or maybe the 3 times I listened to it I was looking for something else (I cannot count the bands who, upon first-thru-fifth blush I just didn't like, then I ignored the album for 6 months and then HOLY MOTHER AGAWD! the album was great. The music just needs the right context/frame of mind).

I'll keep them around, see if they grow on me in the next few months. :)

IW -- you will have to throw down some justification for that Amon Amarth love. Gimme an album to love, because the ones I've heard...man, it was like somebody ran decent metal through the Hot Topic-izer, but forgot to add humor. :(
i don't have to justify anything! :tantrum:

well, shit. i was sitting here writing about how i've heard all the "they play the same song over and over" discussion before, and how i can see how some people feel that way, and how yeah, i can see your hot-topic play-doh meat grinder thingy analogy, and how i can understand how you feel...when my comp fracked up and i lost my post, so i'm just gonna say i like em' because the singer has a big ol' beard. :D

seriously though, it's just my cup of booze. they know how to play, it may be repetitive, but it's what i like and and will always like what i already like by them. can't say what they will come out in the future, but i think maybe a few members should get some side projects going on, or bring in a few new peeps, then maybe a few new ideas could sprout. who knows though. and you've probably heard anything i could recommend by them already, but Vs. The World is my favorite, with A Thousand Years of Oppression my favorite song.

i've been listening to a few CD's by Melechesh my buddy from Florida sent me for me b-day. Sphinx, As Jerusalem Burns..., and Emissaries

good shit, IMO.

I love metal.

Project 86 has long been my favorite band (not metal, just loud) They are incredible. They have a vocal-centric sound without losing any power from their music or losing any volume. They are great, check them out.

Demon Hunter, The Showdown, All That Remains, Disturbed, Disciple, DragonForce, Korn, Living Sacrifice, Norma Jean, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Metallica, Mudvayne, Slipknot, As I Lay Dying, Zao, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Inhale Exhale, Chasing Victory, Twelve Gauge Valentine, and Showbread are some other favorites.

If you dont know any of those bands, check them out, they are all amazing (the first few especially)

Basically, the only metal bands I like are:

Metallica (only from Kill 'em All to And Justice...everything after is "Hot-Topicized")

Megadeth

Mastodon

Candiria (If you don't know this band, you should)

Amon Amarth

Opeth (really, only their first album)

Sabbath

Saw Candiria I a year or 2 ago supporting someone and they were absolutley terrible

i'm just gonna say i like em' because the singer has a big ol' beard. :D

:P

Awesome. Also, considering all of the great music I've gleaned from you in the last 6 months or so, one or two differences of opinion is pretty impressive. Usually I'm running at 50% kill rate or worse.

Re: Candiria -- I've heard they can be hit or miss, live. When they're on, they're terrifying. But if it's an off night, you're left standing there with the WTF? feeling.

Re: symphonic metal. I totally get into this, but sometimes it just gets to be too much, like eating too much sugar in one sitting, and you're left shrieking "I AM CORNHOLIO!" to everyone around you. TEEPEE FOR MY BUNGHOLE!

I love metal.

Project 86 has long been my favorite band (not metal, just loud) They are incredible. They have a vocal-centric sound without losing any power from their music or losing any volume. They are great, check them out.

Demon Hunter, The Showdown, All That Remains, Disturbed, Disciple, DragonForce, Korn, Living Sacrifice, Norma Jean, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, Metallica, Mudvayne, Slipknot, As I Lay Dying, Zao, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Inhale Exhale, Chasing Victory, Twelve Gauge Valentine, and Showbread are some other favorites.

If you dont know any of those bands, check them out, they are all amazing (the first few especially)

I know most of those bands, and while I'm not a fan of all of them, Project 86 is pretty sweet. I don't have any of their CDs, but I've seen them live 4 times and they always bring the rock. Demon Hunter is the same way for me.

Just to bring back the love -- IW: I just gave my first listen to Meads of Asphodel. Holy shit, those guys are great!

well, i never thought the love was lost. :cheers: and growing up, i was always into metal, but i hardly ever listened to Iron Maiden. yeah, i know, what the fuck is wrong with me? but on yours and SB and others insistence that it's essential, i have given them a chance, and i have to say it is pretty fucking great.

there is some excellent symphonic shit out there. i love synths. synth this, synth that, i love my keyboard, so i also can't get enough of it in metal. but it's gotta be grim, frostbitten, sorrowful, heroic, enchanting, etc. all that good shit. i can't deal with synths that lack emotion.

and acoustics. if it's metal with acoustic breakdowns, or intros, or accompaniments (is that a word?) then i am all for it.

glad to hear you like the Meads of Asphodel X-Ray! :cheers: there are some bands who got enough fans and i could care less if anyone likes, but then there are certain bands like them who i want people to discover and like as much as i do.

my player is currently alternating between Lumsk and Asmegin, with a little Metsatoll thrown in there.

So, I started digging though my hard drive and my mp3 player for some metal bands (it's never good to go by "memory" alone). I suppose a more focused, sober me (thanks, whiskey) would group these into bands I love, bands I like, bands who have a lotta heart, but little talent, bands who have talent but big egos....but not tonight. Instead, a big grody mix like a horrible dinner you make when you've had 15 too many beers:

(bands that may or may at some time be considered thrash, metal, power, black, symphonic, industrial, etc):

Cro-Mags

Bolt Thrower

High On Fire

Tiamat (when they are not giving The Cure a run for their mopey money)

Kittie

Nightwish

Sepultura

Soulfly

Prong

Iron Maiden

Overkill

Biohazard

Tomahawk

Tristania

3IB

Arcturus

Dimmu Borgir

Slayer

Meshuggah

Scar Symmetry

Pantera

Ensiferum

Behold! The Arctopus

Comets on Fire

Manowar (laff factor)

Danzig

Samhain

Rasptutina (atmosphere def. -- they are more goth, but fuck it)

Neurosis

Rorschach (more punk, but fuck it)

Godflesh

Barkmarket

Test Dept. (admittedly more industrial, but fuck it)

Queensryche (wanky prog, but fuck that!)

Sleep

Wolf Eyes

Mastodon

Nihil Nocturne

Opeth

Corrosion of Conformity

Death Angel

Fear Factory

Sunn O)))

Within the past 30 minutes I've had my first experience with The Lord Weird Slough Feg, and I think I'm in love. Anyone else listen to Slough Feg?

Not yet, but I am deeply intrigued.

I've decided that 1) I really love Therion 2) Nightwish can turn even my blackest moods mellow, and this is a damned good thing for my coworkers and 3) the whole indie-math metal phase that people are going thru (from The Fucking Champs to Wolf Eyes) is obnoxious hipster crap. Gods, those fuckers could suck the joy out of a Pixie Stix blowjob in Candyland. :mad:

Within the past 30 minutes I've had my first experience with The Lord Weird Slough Feg, and I think I'm in love. Anyone else listen to Slough Feg?

Oh yes, Slough Feg is amazing,.. Newest album comes out on my birthday, can't wait.

Cro-Mags

Bolt Thrower

Heard only a couple songs from each of these bands and need to listen to more.

High On Fire

Awesome band. Can't wait for the new one.

Tiamat (when they are not giving The Cure a run for their mopey money)

Never heard of them.

Kittie

Soft spot for them. Not great but they have their heart in the right place.

Nightwish

Heard a couple songs and will probably get into them after I get done with my Cradle of Filth journey.

Sepultura

Good band.

Soulfly

Prong

Haven't heard many tracks from these guys. Again need to explore more of their material.

Iron Maiden

Talented. Don't care for them.

Overkill

I can't believe I haven't listened to anything from these guys. Same goes for Exodus and Testament.

Biohazard

Never got any of their records but I liked the few songs I heard by them.

Tomahawk

Almost picked up their latest. Will get around to it eventually.

Tristania

Never heard of.

3IB

These guys sound fun. Only heard a couple songs but could get addicted pretty quick.

Arcturus

Never heard.

Dimmu Borgir

Here is a band I'm ready to get into. Heard a couple of tracks and want to get one of their records. Which ones should I start with?

Slayer

Awesome.

Meshuggah

Ditto what I said about Dimmu Borgir

Scar Symmetry

Never heard.

Pantera

Never could get into them because I hate the drumming. No balls.

Ensiferum

Behold! The Arctopus

Never heard.

Comets on Fire

Love these guys.

Manowar (laff factor)

Never heard.

Danzig

Picking up Lost Tracks of Danzig on 7/07/07.

Samhain

Awesome.

Rasptutina (atmosphere def. -- they are more goth, but fuck it)

Never heard.

Neurosis

Just listened to their latest: Given To the Rising. Jason Roeder is probably my favorite drummer right now. Great band.

Rorschach (more punk, but fuck it)

Never heard.

Godflesh

Love them.

Barkmarket

Test Dept. (admittedly more industrial, but fuck it)

Never heard.

Queensryche (wanky prog, but fuck that!)

Yep. Wanky prog and can't get into them. Same goes for Dream Theater.

Sleep

Awesome.

Wolf Eyes

Never heard.

Mastodon

Only heard a couple tracks and not getting why they are special. Is Leviathon their best record? I might pick that up and give them a chance.

Nihil Nocturne

Never heard.

Opeth

Can't get into them. Cookie monster vocals are my number one pet peeve.

Corrosion of Conformity

What I've heard I liked but not enough oomph for me.

Death Angel

Fear Factory

Heard a couple tracks by these guys. More interested in Fear Factory.

Sunn O

Never heard.

Some bands that you might like:

Acid Bath

Strapping Young Lad

Cradle of Filth: The problem here could be the vocals but the music is sublime. The band also look like dorks. Awesome mix of beautiful melodic gothic music and thrashy punk/metal brutality.

Children of Bodom: Furious, fast, and great cheesy fun.

Ministry: Picked up their latest and this band can still kick out teeth fillings.

Fantomas: Patton project. Lombardo on drums. Basically anything by Patton(Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Dillinger Escape Plan) etc.

Kyuss: Like Queens of the Stone Age too. I have Rated R. Need to pick up Songs for the Deaf and their latest.

Kylesa

nice tips, Saint77. I've never actually heard Acid Bath or Strapping Young Lad, but enough recs have floated past that I really need to remedy this soon. I love Ministry -- like the thrash metal on my list, my love of industrial is a holdover from my early teen years. Children of Bodom is on the list to acquire, and Fantomas makes me grin like a fool. Kylesa, I've never heard of before. Will do some research

Re: QothSA -- If I were to recommend an album, I'd definitely say "Songs for the Deaf" and then the latest one. The album between those two (Lullabies to Paralyze) I found to be really uneven and not really all that inspiring. YMMV and all that, but I find myself consistently going back to Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. Anyway, I'd give Lullabies a good 5 or 6 listens before purchasing, if you're on a limited budget.

Re: Dimmu Borgir -- I have Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, which is a great album. I've also heard (but don't own, therefore my memory could be flawed) Death Cult Armageddon, another fine effort. Maybe some of the other fans can weigh in.

Re: Overkill and Testament. Totally products of their times and, of course, staples on Headbangers Ball. ;) That's totally a personality thing if it clicks or not.

Re: Manowar :lol: :lol: oh gods, these guys are just awesome on a stick. I mean, they're almost as ludicrous as GWAR, except that they mine the Viking/Hessian metal ethos instead of the theatrical schtick of Kiss. Founded by one of the guys from the Dictators. "Other bands play. Manowar Kills." HAIL! :lol:

Gotta say that I'm saddened to see that noone has yet mentioned any of these...

Therapy? - top Oirish Rock Metal Madness (they are the guys who did Screamager and Potato Junkie)

Paradise Lost - Ok the last 10 years has been bad for them... going all commercial and keyboardy and generally testicalless... but their first 5 albums are superb dark metal.

My Dying Bride - make Type O Negative and the Sisters of Mercy look cheerful, but with rythmic distorted guitars and a haunting electric violin these guys are something truly fantastic.

Archived