New Miniatures Line!

Ran

Not sure how Linda and I are going to approach it. There's a Gamers Workshop store recently opened in Gothenburg, so going there and seeing if there's anyone interested is one possibility.

I wouldn't recommend this route particularly... I'd look for someone with good references to commission. Namely because, even with the best of intentions, many gamers think they want to paint for money then discover that it takes the fun out of it. Or they just aren't disciplined enough to do it on a deadline. I'm actually speaking from experience here, I learned the hard way that I HATE painting armies :) I much prefer painting individual figures that "speak" to me in some way.

A lot depends on what you're willing to spend and exactly how well painted of a miniature you want. I have to tell you, the guy that painted them up for DarkSword (all of them but Melisandre) is an award winning painter who often sells his minis for upwards of $200 apiece (I saw one piece of his go for nearly $1k last year). However, you could probably get a competent (staying within the lines, 3 layers consisting of base color, highlight and shadow colors) job for $25 apiece. Possibly much less than that from someone just getting started or one of the Asian painting services.

Or you could wait for someone to put them up on eBay. I have to admit, that's what I intend with one of my two sets. Paint the first set and hope it pays for both... and paint the second set all for myself (and maybe for a contest entry or two in 2008).

i'm curious how they look when a 'decent' painter paints them. The ones on the dark sword sight are gorgeous....

I'll post a link to pictures here as I finish them... I consider myself a "decent" painter, but I'm not going to win major contests or make $200 a mini... I'll also keep an eye out on the hobby websites and post links to cool ones :) So long as you guys don't think I am spamming or anything ;)

Woo hoo! Got my shinies in the mail today! Overall, pretty clean casts, a few mold lines but nothing horrible. For those interested: Cersei, Melisandre, the Night Watch Raven keeper and Night Watch warrior with bow require minimal assembly: you just have to glue them to the base. The rest involve gluing on one or more hands. I have to say, these are going to be fragile. I'm trying to figure out the best way to try and reinforce everything, but basically the pieces are seperated at the wrist, giving very little room for pinning. I guess I'm going to have to use the 5 minute epoxy and keep my fingers crossed.

So, hypothetically, if someone were to, say, put the painted minis for sale up on eBay, :leaving: which head of Sandor Clegane would you prefer, the Hound's head helmet with the visor down, the Helm with the visor up, or no helm?

OK, guys, I've been busy painting all day, and here's what I have to show for it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kng...onsnowright.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kng...jonsnowleft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kng...nsnowfront2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kng...nsnowfront1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kng...jonsnowback.jpg

As you can probably guess, it's Jon Snow. I thought he was finished except for the base, but I can see some things in the picture I am going to have to fix. Nothing like blowing up your mini to three or four times actual size to find all the mistakes :thumbsdown:

Notice I even put the garnets in the Wolf's eyes on Longclaw.

God, I hate painting black. Though at least Jon and all the Night's Watch are going to give me lots of practice!

@KatieG

Really like your painting... the skin in particular is very fine... The black may be a bit flat, though... is that a WIP?

I used to paint all my miniatures, but work and family use up all my time now and I am commisioning most of my miniatures (except the eventual monster and general :) ). If anyone is interested and willing to ship overseas, PM me and I can recommend someone... samples of the work he did for me can be seen HERE

• 3 months later...

Got an update from Dark Sword Miniatures tonight, they've finalized the next 10 minis. Here's the quote from the newsletter:

The final hit list for George R.R. Martin Masterworks Wave # 2 was finalized. We are looking at:

1. Daenerys Targaryen with the three baby dragons

2. Ser Gregor Clegane The Mountain That Rides

3. Tyrion Lannister The Imp

4. Prince Oberyn Martell The Red Viper of Dorne

5. Robb Stark The Young Wolf

6. Brienne The Maid of Tarth

7. Two Different Lannister Guards

8. Two Different Courtly Ladies

This will be a very fun release. And do I hear the howl of Dire Wolves with this release as well? Stay tuned...

A quick reminder for anyone attending Gen Con Indy this year that we have our prizes listed out on our site. Be sure to check them out as they are linked to right from our homepage. Our prize packages have increased every single year and this year was a massive jump up. George R.R. Martin himself even tossed his hat into the prize ring with some swag of his own.

I was hoping for some Unsullied to go with Dany, but these will just have to do :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Don't know if any of you guys have heard, but 6 new miniatures were made available at Gen Con. They're 6 wildlings and they're very nice! I don't have pictures unfortunately, but I am sure they'll show up on the Dark Sword website after Gen Con.

I had posted about that -- glad someone saw them!

There's also supposed to be four other ones on display, which I'm not sure are never-before-seen or not. What were they?

I wonder if the wildlings are similar to the ones Tom was doing for Testors. He had some cool ones. They'll be a great compliment to the Night's Watch figures in the first wave. Was there a spearwife or wood's witch miniature among them, or are they all just regular (male) raiders?

I had posted about that -- glad someone saw them!

There's also supposed to be four other ones on display, which I'm not sure are never-before-seen or not. What were they?

I wonder if the wildlings are similar to the ones Tom was doing for Testors. He had some cool ones. They'll be a great compliment to the Night's Watch figures in the first wave. Was there a spearwife or wood's witch miniature among them, or are they all just regular (male) raiders?

The four others were two of the Lannister guards (which look similar to the Night's Watch in terms of style of chainmail and spears), the Lannister Lady in Waiting that is on the site, and the 4th is supposed to be a 54mm sculpt of Dany (emerging from Drogo's pyre with all 3 dragons), but he's not sure when that will get here. I checked his booth at around 1:30 today (Friday) and he didn't have it yet. Dany will be available as a 54mm and in the same scale of the rest of the minis... apparently there's a way to take a 54mm sculpt and turn it into a smaller scale, so some of the mini's we will get with both options (he said something about Tyrion being available this way as well...).

The wildlings were actually done by a different sculptor, Jeff Grace. They're still very pretty. There is one Spearwife with a bow, the rest are male. The male ones are: 1)Great Axe, 2)long sword and shield, 3)short sword and shield, 4)axe and spiked club and 5)one with a spear.

None of them were sold out yet when I hit his booth at 1:30 PM, but I expect they will be by the end of tomorrow; Saturday is always the busiest day in the Dealer's Hall.

Archived