New Miniatures Line!

Ran

It's likely that some assembly will be required of things like arms, scabbards, etc.

Just by taking a look at the greens, I'd say Jon needs at least three parts in order to be cast: body, sword, and scabbard. I'm not sure where they'd cut his right arm, just above his glove seems feasible.

I'm less sure about Mel. Can they really cast her in one piece, including that lovely left arm with the flowing cloth? I can't tell from the photo. Otherwise I'd cut her left arm just below the top ring.

We already know that Sandor has a separate head. The upper and lower body halves also look as if they've got an axis each, so I assume he's cut at the belt. Shield and sword cast separately as well.

The archer is just one miniature. The raven master? No idea. In the top middle picture it looks as if his left arm needs a separate cast, but it in the rop right picture he looks flat. Also, the raven seems to connect to his shoulder. I'd say that's a single miniature.

I could be wrong, of course.

• 1 month later...

Dark Sword has just updated their front page with pictures of Tom Meier's Jaime and Cersei miniatures. See here. Looking excellent. Ser Loras images should be posted soon, too, as well as those of two more brothers of the Night's Watch.

I think the Brotherhood Without Banners could make some characterful miniatures. Beric, Thoros, Anguy, etc. Same goes for Tyrion's wildlings; Timmet, Shagga, Chella. I'd also like to see Bronn, garbed as a sellsword rather than a knight, the Blackfish, and maybe some characters from the eastern continent for a bit of variation. Drogo maybe, Syrio Forel. And Aerys' kingsguard, or at least the Tower of Joy three.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be very challenging to paint. A sloppy layer of undercoat paint on the armour and that kind of detail is gone. You don't want to give it a black ink wash over silver (which otherwise would be a good way of letting very thin paint do the work for you), because Ser Loras isn't dirty. He actually needs shiny-shiny armour.

Very amazing. I like the flow of the Cersei's and Melisandre's dresses. The Loras armour is a little work of art.

However, permit me to be amused that all female figures have a really low (non-medieval) neckline, contrary to the high to late medieval style of the male armours. ;) (They look very good, though.)

According to Norris's Medieval Costume and Fashion, in the 1330's to 1350's, a fashionable dress for noblewomen was the cotehardie, which "declined downwards" to the point where neck, shoulders, and upper part of the chest were "extremely bare". The illustrations in the book seem to confirm that -- I'm not sure how they kept those dresses up, really ... and neither did they, it seems, because they were attaching ornaments to the shoulders which seemed to help with keeping it up.

Not that either of their outfits are cotehardies (though Melisandre's has a very similar look along the top, less the ruffling), but in any case, fashions did change from one period to another. After 1350, necklines went up with the introduction of the houpeland, and then climbed back down again until the middle of the 15th century, when many women had a very deep v. The difference then, I suppose, was that at the time the ideal for women was a "narrow chest" with, presumably, small breasts -- so the cleavage, as it was, was not especially exciting by modern standards. ;)

According to Norris's Medieval Costume and Fashion, in the 1330's to 1350's, a fashionable dress for noblewomen was the cotehardie, which "declined downards" to the point where neck, shoulders, and upper part of the chest were "extremely bare". The illustrations in the book seem to confirm that -- I'm not sure how they kept those dresses up, really ... and neither did they, it seems, because they were attaching ornaments to the shoulders which seemed to help with keeping it up.

Interesting. I didn't know this. It's interesting that the fashion period was so short but, aside from the reasons you gave, it could have been because of the cold. I wouldn't have wanted to be a noble women with this fashion in a late medieval castle. (:looking for a cold-smily:)

Edit: I like the miniatures the way they are, especially the darker ones, because they remind me of late gothic sculpture.

Guest Other-in-law
It's interesting that the fashion period was so short but, aside from the reasons you gave, it could have been because of the cold.

Given the date, I wonder if the trend was cut short by the desperate religiosity inspired by the advent of the bubonic plague? Just a wild guess.

Ran, thanks for the reference suggestion.

HE, do you have a gallery of miniatures that you've painted? You sound like you have spent a bit of time on that hobby already.

ETA: And of course, all of the minis in this line are quite gorgeous looking. Whereabouts would one purchase them? Predominantly online?

HE, do you have a gallery of miniatures that you've painted?

I don't, actually. This is a hobby I pursued many years ago, before digital cameras, before everybody put their entire lives on-line. The TM miniatures may be enough to get me back into the hobby, however.

This will be very challenging to paint. A sloppy layer of undercoat paint on the armour and that kind of detail is gone. You don't want to give it a black ink wash over silver (which otherwise would be a good way of letting very thin paint do the work for you), because Ser Loras isn't dirty. He actually needs shiny-shiny armour.

I'd probably go the other way, basecoat with black and work up to silver. Keep black in the crevices for shading and contrast, but with no black over the silver it'll look shiny-shiny. Another option is do it your way but wipe off the ink wash on the high points before it dries. I'm trying to decide if the armor would all be metallic or if some of that relief would be laquered in some other color...

I'm trying to decide if the armor would all be metallic or if some of that relief would be laquered in some other color...

That would look great. (I've never liked metal on miniatures, because it reflects light strangely, and I'm too old to learn to paint using Non-Metallic Metal (or here). So we just need Ran to confirm that laquered or enameled armour would be a canonically acceptable.

That would look great. (I've never liked metal on miniatures, because it reflects light strangely, and I'm too old to learn to paint using Non-Metallic Metal (or here). So we just need Ran to confirm that laquered or enameled armour would be a canonically acceptable.

I am familiar with NMM, and have even used it a few times, but I don't like it. I think metallics look better in person, while NMM looks better in pictures. The problem is getting metallics to look good in pictures because the shinyness reflects light in weird ways unless you have a very good diffused light setup.

November can't come soon enough... I wonder when they'll start taking preorders...

Hi

I havent logged in much, the waiting for ADWD is just too frustrating :D

Anyway after seeing those pics i am excited about the miniature line at least :)

One question, i would like to buy those miniatures painted, i know there are websites

that provide this service, i was just wondering if anyone could link some of the

better ones?

Just so i can get ready for when these fantastic miniatures get released!

Also anyone know what happend to the wargame rules for these miniatures?

Will it still be released?

The Young Lion

One question, i would like to buy those miniatures painted, i know there are websites

that provide this service, i was just wondering if anyone could link some of the

better ones?

I suggest you go down to your local Games Workshop store and have the staff hook you up with a 16-year old with too much time on his hands. Not only will it be cheaper, and you get your say, but you also can ignore the terror that is shipping assembled and painted miniatures.

TYL,

Nope, the rules won't be released. It was part of the Testors license, and that's done. I saw a (very early) draft and it seemed interesting, but also pretty incomplete at the time that I looked at it.

George has mentioned some painters he has used before, here. Blue Table were the people Linda and I were considering for the Testors 54mm figures, actually.

Archived