Cricket 2

Maltaran

I just read on cricinfo that Afridi pulled out of playing some Tests because of Ramadan (I understand it would be impossible for him to fast from sunrise to sunset AND go boom boom on the field). Surely the Pakistan board has experienced this in years past with some of their players being observant Muslims? Why couldnt they plan their tours better so the players are given a break during the holy month?

Even the non-Muslim members of the Pakistan team would understand that - right now its only Kaneria who wouldnt mind the month off I'm sure.

It appears that Murali is out of the ODIs against England, as he still hasn't recovered from the injury which kept him out of the Twenty20.

Edit: Surely the Pakistanis can find some compliant imam who can give the players a dispensation for Ramadan, can't they?

In six hours, it'll be India versus Australia - and I'm from Bangalore! And sadly, this chooses to happen when I'm away at college. But I'm going to be watching the match anyway.

I feel a bit bitter though. The one time I ever saw a cricket match live, it was in Bangalore and Australia killed India.

It will not happen again.

The ICL has announced some new signings

England batsman Darren Maddy has signed for the rebel Indian Cricket League, its chairman Kapil Dev has announced.

The 33-year-old played in the World Twenty20 for England after a seven-year absence from the international scene.

But he joins New Zealanders Chris Cairns, Nathan Astle, Chris Harris and Hamish Marshall among 18 new signings.

Cairns and Astle, in particular, seem pretty big names for them, despite Yousuf pulling out.

Cairns and Astle are pretty big names, but since they had previously retired from international cricket it won't cause the uproar of a Yousuf. The ICL will benefit greatly from their participation though, since both of them are recent enough players that everyone still recognises them, and their performances should be up to scratch.

Looks like this'll be rained out. I doubt they'll get to complete the requisite 25 overs for India.

Come on, lads! There's a good bit of cricket floating around at the moment.

England were destroyed by Sri Lanka. No surprises about the result, only about the manner of it. Panesar dropped. Thoughts?

Kallis got an awesome knock against Pakistan in the Test Match. A shame for SA that their last 5 batsmen only scored 4 or 5 runs between them.

And Australia are cruising against India at the moment in the ODI - India are 170-7 chasing 306.

And Australia are cruising against India at the moment in the ODI - India are 170-7 chasing 306.

Ended up winning by 80-odd. On the highlihjts package that I saw there was a stack of good catching by the Aussies and some good batting from Symonds and Haddin.

Pakistan were looking in a half-decent position just then - Younis Khan and Iqbal had been at the crease a while and the ask was 290 runs with 8 wickets in hand on a fourth day pitch that doesn't seem to be misbehaving too much. Smith must have been confident in his spinner Harris to make that sort of a declaration, after all Harris had a good first innings. As always with Pakistan it could get very messy, or they could pull together and still get it. With Iqbal's dismissal just then before the end of play, I'm leaning towards the former. They've put Asif in. If the nightwatchman can hang around tomorrow in the first hour to steady things that would be a big step towards them winning, but I'm always suspicious of Pakistani batting, especially without Yousuf or Inzimam (although Younis is a worthy batsman).

Australia beat India in Hyderabad. :( Oh well. Congratulations to all the Aussies on the board. I thought Yuvraj Singh would push for it till the end. And bloody Sachin only got 43 runs. Why is he even still on the team? He's been shaky since I was in the seventh grade. He's useless. Toss him out.

And effing Brett Lee. Why the hell is he still such a brilliant bowler? :P Asshole.

England seem to have started well against Sri Lanka...they've got them down to 106-7 in 29 overs...unless they collapse spectacularly when they're batting or Dilshan decides to explode for the 20 overs I'd have thought they've got this in the bag. Nice work from Swann!

Sir Thursday

Archived