Robert Jordan has passed away

aidan

what sad news. I've never read a word of his work but I have a copy of WoT waiting for me in my bookshelf. this might be a good time to pick it up.

my condolences to his family and fans

Your copy of WoT...which one there are 11 books and a prequel...

I just hope that over the last two years RJ finished most of the series...it was only back in June I heard about his illness...book 12 Memory of the Light was supposed to finish the series...

I got teary-eyed at the news. Very sad indeed.

Although I only read and became a fan of the Wheel of Time series for the first time this past year, it definitely enriched my life in a way that I won't soon forget.

The mark the man made on the world was, on the whole, a very positive one methinks, and I hope that his friends and family find comfort and condolences in that during this sad time.

RIP

Just needed to add my words of sadness for his family and friends. Many years ago I met RJ at a book signing and can honestly say he was a truly nice man - he took time with every fan, answered questions, smiled, shook hands, and stuck around the bookstore well after the signing was to have ended - it was just an all around good experience. I hope his family can take solace in the fact that he will be remembered for a long time (in their hearts and in fans' minds).

Terrible, terrible news.

RJ's books entertained many, many people worldwide, myself among them. I really enjoyed both his Conan books and the first five or six WOT volumes. Whatever else may be said about his abilities or his opus, any writer should be elated to achieved so much in one lifetime.

I thought this news might be easier after I knew he had a fatal disease... but I find it only makes it sadder.

Rest in peace.

Ugh, this saddens me. RJ gave me many, many hours of enjoyment from the Wheel of Time. It was WoT that got me interested in ASOIAF. Not the blurb on the cover, but rather that I picked up Legends to read A New Spring, and ended up really enjoying The Hedge Knight. From there I picked up Game of Thrones, and the rest is history.

RIP, you'll be greatly missed

God damnit, I thought he'd make it. Foolish of me, I guess. When I heard, I felt hurt and stunned and deeply saddened. He had his flaws as a writer, but I loved the WOT universe.

:sick: :stunned:

And, though a non-believer, I almost hope I'll meet him in the afterlife. :cheers:

In the same vein as KAH, without WoT I don't find this series or the board. Could have been years later or not at all. It was recommendations/comments on WoT boards that led me to ASoIaF. I actually didn't know much about the disease beyond that he had it and that it was dangerous. But as others have said, he always sounded optimistic and this definitely comes as a shock. Will be missed. Despite my many rants against the series, he remains one of the most important figures in the resurgence of the genre. Condolences to his family and RIP.

You echo my thoughts I also wouldn't be here with Jordan. RIP

My grief is immense, first for his family and all those closest to him. But a close second is for all those who followed his amazing series with loyalty and admiration. It is tragic beyond belief that this great man was unable to finish his landmark series. I hope the dedicated fans of his books will take comfort in the fact that he labored on the Wheel of Time right to the end. I've read enough of him to know how talented he was and how much he contributed to this most excellent genre.

To all those who followed the Wheel of Time religiously, remember: Jordan's legacy is not in the "end" that he never got around to. It's in each and every word he wrote from Book One to the very end of his days, every sweet turn of phrase, every amazing scene, every unforgettable character. The "end" we were all waiting for...that's out of our hands, now.

Honor him.

I'm a long time lurker (approximately four years now), and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that the first time I post on this board is at the death of the man who bears ultimate responsibility for my love of fantasy and my introduction to ASOIAF. For these two things I owe RJ an enormous debt.

I can't help but think that the best epitaph for RJ would be one he wrote himself, over 15 years ago, at a time when he was still very much the best. I've always felt that this passage compares in emotion to Jon's last moments with Halfhand, or one of my little favorites, when Jon tells Sam to pull his hood up because of the snowflakes.

"Go, Rand," Ingtar said. He turned to face the street and did not look at Rand or Hurin again.

"Take the Horn where it belongs. I always knew the Amyrlin should have given you the charge. But all I ever wanted was to keep Shienar whole, to keep us from being swept away and forgotten."

"I know, Ingtar." Rand drew a deep breath. "The Light shine on you, Lord Ingtar of House Shinowa, and may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand." He touched Ingtar's shoulder. "The last embrace of the mother welcome you home." Hurin gasped. "Thank you," Ingtar said softly. A tension seemed to go out of him. For the first time since the night of the Trolloc raid on Fal Dara, he stood as he had when Rand first saw him, confident and relaxed. Content.

Rand turned and found Hurin staring at him, staring at both of them. "It is time for us to go."

"But Lord Ingtar - "

" - does what he has to," Rand said sharply. "But we go." Hurin nodded, and Rand trotted after him. Rand could hear the steady tread of the Seanchan's boots, now. He did not look back.

May the last embrace of the Mother welcome him home :(

Archived