Robert Jordan has passed away

aidan

Wow, I did not see that coming. From the attitude he displayed, I was sure he had a while to go yet; but though the spirit be willing, the flesh may be weak. Jordan was the first fantasy I really read post-Tolkien, and I really loved his stuff. There was plenty I could criticize, certainly, but as a real fan of deep worldbuilding, I truly enjoyed reading his work. I'm sorry to hear this for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that I was rooting for him to pull through, simply because of the courage he showed in confronting his disease. Rest in peace, Mr. Jordan.

Wow . . .

Deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

I knew that beating amyloidosis with cardiac involvement is essentially impossible but was in denial over the medical facts and hoped that RJ would beat those odds. Looks like the House won again . . .

Been a fan of his through thick and thin, bad and good. I literally grew up reading his books from high school to college, medical school, a five year residency, a fellowship, and now staff at my hospital. I have gone through 3 girlfriends, my fiancee, and my wife and now working on having kids. Throughout the tapestry of my life and all the changes and milestones, my love of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time was a constant . . . it was a part of me and one of the things that defined me . . . that everyone knew about me.

Hard to put into words what his work meant to me as a fan of epic fantasy. I picked up George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire largely on his recommendation on that front cover as many undoubtedly did.

I wish the best for his wife Harriet my thoughts are with her.

Dennis

Damn,

RIP Robert

Before ASOIAF came along and knocked him off the pinacle, I thought the WOT series was top of the heap. It is still up there in my books. I always had a fear when I started the series that he wouldn't be able to finish it. A shame for his kith and kin, and a shame to lovers of the fantasy genre the world over.

Damn

This is truly sad. I'm the moderator on a Norwegian based WoT MB and was the first one to stumble onto this news...

I kinda don't want to pass it on. He may not be my favourite fantasy author, but we sure had some great times together.

Westeros.org and this board wouldn't have existed without Jordan's WoT, I'm pretty sure -- doubtless other sites and communities would exist that served the same purpose, but not this one.

A sad loss.

Archived