October Reading Thread

Deornoth

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

I found myself comparing it to Red Seas Under Red Skies as both books are pirate stories with fantastical elements. OST is set in the real world but Voodoo is central to the story and magic is pervasive. As a pirate story it works better then RSURS but as a novel it lacks the polish of SL's effort. Bursting with ideas, it is a decent read.

I keep meaning to try and pick up a copy of this, sounds like a good book.

Just finished reading 'Demon Eyes' (L.H. Maynard & M.P.N. Sims), a book that promised more than it eventually delivered. In a nutshell, a naive PA goes to her boss' house (for a party) and discovers it's full of sex vampires! :rolleyes: A 'tell, not show' policy means that any suspense is swiftly got rid of and the sex scenes don't actually have a lot to do with the book itself. That's just the start of what annoyed me about this book, the rest of my review is over Here.

I'm still reading 'Auralia's Colours' (Jeffrey Overstreet) and I'm reading my first ever Manga book as well ('With the Light' - Keiko Tobe)

Finished The Words of Making by David Forbes. While it was an improvement over The Amber Wizard, i still wasnt drawn into the story enough to enjoy it.

I really need a good book. so I finally started Winterbirth last night. I 've got high hopes for this one.

My principal gave me some cash as a stipend for chaperoning seniors on a college visit. His note said it was "in case I wanted to get a burger." I bought a book instead - Strange Itineraries, which is the complete short stories of Tim Powers. So far, it's quite good. Some of it reads like great Twilight Zone episodes that were never made, others read like preliminary sketches for his novels.

I bought a book instead - Strange Itineraries, which is the complete short stories of Tim Powers.

I think it was complete, but he's published more since then. I'll have to read them all sometime, I've still only read a few of the short stories.

ETA - at the moment I'm reading Night of Knives by Ian C Esslemont. I know it had some fairly mixed reviews around here so I was a bit hesitant about buying it, but then saw a hardback for sale for £2 in a charity shop so thought I'd give it a try at the price. So far I'm about 100 pages in, it seems reasonably good so far, although nothing special.

I think it was complete, but he's published more since then. I'll have to read them all sometime, I've still only read a few of the short stories.

Good point. It was published 2 years ago. :)

I started Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind the day before yesterday and I really like it so far :) He starts out in an interesting way and masters the first person narrative perfectly, so you get really attached to the character. I'm excited how this will go on :)

Just finished the two Mistborn books which I really enjoyed. Can't wait for the third one next year.

Currently doing a reread of Kate Elliott's The Crown of Stars. I've forgotten how much I enjoyed reading Alain's chapter.

Hopefully, I can find J.V. Jones' A Sword from Red Ice soon.

I've started on The Name of the Rose. Can't say I understand all the theological references in it. Also, I've been trying hard to figure out if there are any anachronisms in it (like references to optics in it). But mostly I think I'll enjoy the ride - I've only read about 60 odd pages of it.

I've read the proverbial shitload of books in the past couple of weeks (waiting around in doctor's offices, weekends with colds, etc. leads to plenty of reading opportunities), so here are some that I plan on reviewing in the next few weeks, if I haven't already:

M. Rickert, Map of Dreams

Susanna Clarke, The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories

Steven Erikson, The Lees of Laughter's End

Jeff VanderMeer and Forrest Aguirre (eds.), Leviathan Three

Zoran Živković, Impossible Stories

James Thurber, The 13 Clocks

Michael Cisco, Secret Hours

Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit

Stephen King, Lisey's Story

Jeff Somers, The Electric Church

Mario Vargas Llosa, Conversación en La Catedral

Elizabeth Hand, Generation Loss

I finished The Inferior last week but have been too busy to write a review. It is well written for a first novel and the themes of cannibalism and survival in an apocalyptic future mark a boldness that is often missing from science fiction today. I like how the author handles the pro and cons of both without being too judgmental of the differing perspectives. World-building was also well done and left me desiring to know more about the background and universe. I think the characterization was the strongest part of The Inferior. It is quite well done and realistic with the protagonists and antagonists feeling multiple motivations and conflicting emotions. I applaud the author for making his main character not quite a hero or an antihero, but somewhere in between. Stopmouth is perhaps not the strongest or the smartest hunter of his tribe, but he is the best survivor, which in this setting is the most important thing of all. Full review here.

I'm now 150 pages into House of Chains by Steven Erikson. I'll probably read Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters so I can get caught up on the Malazan books.

Last year, I said, half-seriously, that in 2007 I would delve into Proust's In Search of Lost Time. Well, the year isn't over yet, and last week, I read Swann's Way. Now I'm the sort that finds it hard not to skim, especially descriptions or sections where nothing is happening. With Proust, I found myself reading very slowly, savoring every moment. I was hypnotized. Hours and hundreds of pages would go by, and nothing would happen in the book, but I wasn't able to turn away. Spooky. He's that brilliant. I will be reading more, the next time there's an opening on my to-read list. FYI, I've been reading the new Predergast edited volume, highly recommended.

I've also read a couple other Sandman volumes, Season of Mists and The Kindly Ones. Looking forward to reading the concluding volume, The Wake.

In addition, I'm in the middle of a re-read of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Short Sun. I read the three Solar Cycle trilogies out of order originally, so I'm interested in catching new details and references to past events this time around. BotSS is my personal favorite of Wolfe's series. I think it's the vampires - such scene-stealers :)

I just finished The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, which I found to be excellent. I think the next book will be The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapowski.

Joe Abercrombie’s debut novel, The Blade Itself, has been quietly gathering praise since its initial release in the UK last year. I’ll say it right up front – I’m not going to say anything different, though I just might say it more emphatically. The Blade Itself easily equals anything released in epic fantasy in the past few years, and just may rise to the top. (full review)

Just finished reading 'With the Light' (Keiko Tobe), a Manga book about a mother's struggle to raise her autistic son. I've never read any Manga before (but have seen some anime) so was surprised that there weren't any demonic monsters, or post apocalyptic motorbike chases, but the story is no less hard hitting for it. It's a really poignant and moving tale that will draw you in and have you rooting for your favourite character. I'd recommend it to anyone, full review Here.

I'm now finishing off 'Auralia's Colours' and am looking at reading 'In the Eye of Heaven' (David Keck) next.

Finished reading 'Auralia's Colors' (Jeffrey Overstreet). Although the prose is overdone at times (and characterisation sacrificed for worldbuilding) I thought this was a magical read and it's gentle tone was a refreshing counterpoint to most of the fantasy that I'm reading right now. This is the start of a series where I just know I'll be there for the duration.

My full review is Here.

It's Halloween tomorrow and I've just got an ARC of the new Brian Keene book ('Dark Hollow'), good timing I think!

Archived