Arya's Purpose?

Ser Luke

I dunno. Isn't her story in itself worth reading? We meet interesting people like the BWB and others and we see how Arya develops as a result of it. I suppose that makes me a bit of a hypocrite because frankly, I couldn't give a damn about Brienne's story in FFC, but maybe that's more because it stood in place too much and had speeches instead of conversations in it.

Join the list of hypocrites. :thumbsup: I loved Brienne's chapters, as pointless as they seemed (honestly, if Brienne does die a horrid death by hanging, I'm going to throw the book at the wall, then pick it up, kiss it tenderly, and continue reading). Just that Arya's story is so dark and depressing, with the cast of monsters (Tickler, Ser Gregor, Weese, etc) it was very, very difficult to read. Brienne's story wasn't so dark and she was wielding an awesome blade to boot.

Let's not forget Arya is also ideally placed to meet any invasion from a certain Targaryen Queen, and her connections with the BwB, Nymeria's pack, Jon Snow and Sansa (LF) make her an ideal intermediary to bring forth an alliance between the Targ and the North.

Oh I suppose. As long as she gets her revenge on at least some of the people on her list (like Cersei).

One of the people on Arya’s little list is Meryn Trant. He is one of the few of the original KG still alive and in KL and has had relatively little to do since killing Syrio (and none of that “Syrio is still alive†stuff please :P ). My guess is that he and Arya are going to meet again.

I don't really think the FM will give her a high profile assassination ever, but playing messenger and confronting all sort of people as a sort of skinchanger ghost, that I could see. Also, even if I do like the girl, I want GRRM to be consistent and keep her on the dark path she has chosen, so she ends as a gray, not totally likeable person, like, or worse than a Sandor.

Im not as big a fan of Arya anymore(i started liking her more of course...i dont hate her, just aren't as fond), because to me, she's become too one sided(kill kill kill im always right and when i think someone should die they should etc etc) I agree on this though. the FM are THE guild of assassins. They apparently charge prices higher than ARMIES to assassinate even merchants, and the high profile ones i shudder to think about. no WAY will they send a kid(she's good with Needle, yes, but she's a kid, and honestly, a full-grown knight if she had to face them one on one, pulling out all the stops, would most likely tear her apart...she's only had a couple years of training. She's good, but no professional yet, and without Syrio's discipline she's not as good as she could be), to do that work. And as for revenge on Cercei, i think half the KINGDOM wants revenge on her...so Arya'll have to get in line there. ;) If they DID send a kid...i mean, im all for 'fantasy books not being real', but that's just entirely too farfetched.

I think she will find some kind of inner peace/redemption though, from a little psycho, although i do feel she will die by the end(especially from that line Jon told her waaay back when in the first book. GRRM has a way with these predictions.) She will die in a noble way, though, i am convinced.

no WAY will they send a kid(she's good with Needle, yes, but she's a kid, and honestly, a full-grown knight if she had to face them one on one, pulling out all the stops, would most likely tear her apart...
A knight would tear any assassin face to face. Are you mistaking the FM for ninjas? Their forte is not fighting, it's deception and infiltration, and that is why Arya's training consists in mingling with the population, while learning information, and not in physical and technical training.

However, I agree that high profile, intelligent, suspiscious and remote targets require experienced and skilled agents. Arya could fit only in some extra-ordinary scenario, where (for example) a highborn girl has the most chances of approaching the target and getting out unsuspected. It is highly unlikely she would be ever sent to kill someone she knew though, both because it's more risky, and because there seem to be a sort of protection to have a FM know your name.

A knight would tear any assassin face to face. Are you mistaking the FM for ninjas? Their forte is not fighting, it's deception and infiltration, and that is why Arya's training consists in mingling with the population, while learning information, and not in physical and technical training.

However, I agree that high profile, intelligent, suspiscious and remote targets require experienced and skilled agents. Arya could fit only in some extra-ordinary scenario, where (for example) a highborn girl has the most chances of approaching the target and getting out unsuspected. It is highly unlikely she would be ever sent to kill someone she knew though, both because it's more risky, and because there seem to be a sort of protection to have a FM know your name.

Good point, that is true; the FM assassination techniques almost seem like...well, near magic to be honest. It almost seems that they don't even touch their victims alot of the time(Jaquen and the guys that he paid Arya back for). You're right in the sense that she'd probably have to never fight.

But yeah, i think that failing this 'test' and going blind(when she accepted Arya's milk) shows them that she's not far enough removed from herself to kill, say, Sansa. She might not have liked Sansa most of the books, but later she even starts to miss her, and i seriously doubt she'd have any ill will toward her anymore.

The other problem of course is Arya's current hotheadedness. She killed Daeron. Honestly, this was not her right. Yes, he was an oathbreaker, which ends in death...but not for anyone to give...that's for the Lord or whatever leader or whoever to decide. Her father killed the oathbreaker because he was the lord of Winterfell and that was his duty. Arya was no lord, and that was, basically, her jumping the gun. If she wanted to do the 'right' thing, she would have turned him into the ''higher ups'' somehow, or even better- cleverly pointed them in his direction. (I think the FM would have been much more impressed by that...since being an FM relies heavily on subterfuge.)

If an oathbreaker comes into a town, the farmer down the street can't kill him and not expect any repercussions. They may not be as hard on him as they would if he had killed an innocent, but he woulnd't get off scott free. I think it was put in, though, just to show that Arya is far from ready of being an actual FM, and that she might indeed lack the ''Complete Removal of one's self'' that they seem to require. Come to think about it, the point i made above, the Arya now might indeed try to take a knight head to head, due to her stubborness and ''im not afraid of anything'' attitude; and it would end in her being cut in two...rather than do it ''Faceless Man'' style with some poison, or magic, or whatnot.

It will be interesting, though, to see how it pans out, and if she can learn real self control.

Does she know how to be a highborn girl any more? My bet is she's forgotten, except for the innate haughtiness and some lingering arrogance. On the other hand, she's fast becoming the skillful spy and dark shadow in Braavos, which is more necessary for her training than the ability to overpower and kill stronger people. Don't forget that she slew the postern guard at Harrenhal in much the same way Jaqen killed off her whispered foes: with cunning rather than sheer force.

On the subject of her blindness, I recall vividly a line by the Kindly priest explaining to her that the God of Many Faces will claim her eyes, ears, tongue, and all senses, even her private parts if she decides to become a Faceless Woman. At the first re-read that line just shouted out at me, with the eyes going first.

What I can see happening is Arya going through all the training requirements very quickly, and becoming adept at posturing as No one while keeping her identity as Arya of House Stark. She will meet Dany and Tyrion and be reunited with Sansa and Jon, but she'll never be the Queen of the North and will always have a secret agenda of her own.

she's not far enough removed from herself to kill, say, Sansa. She might not have liked Sansa most of the books, but later she even starts to miss her
Actually, she was only angry with her from Castle Darry until the death of Ned, one fourth of AGOT. When she flees King's Landing, she thinks something like "she wished the sea would rise and kill everyone in King's Landing, but it would not happen, and beside, Sansa was there too". She does not want Sansa to die, she never did.

The other problem of course is Arya's current hotheadedness. She killed Daeron. Honestly, this was not her right.
That's debatable, many people have argued otherwise. Anyway, it's still speculation since we don't really know what happened and why. The theory I like best for that event is that it was a FM test, that she passed. We'll see with ADWD.

Does she know how to be a highborn girl any more? My bet is she's forgotten, except for the innate haughtiness and some lingering arrogance.
She never was a Sansa, but if the FM ever need a Arya Stark, they have her, stark face and all.

The Night's Watch deserter who was largely responsible for the death of Aemon Targaryen? Heck, that made me like her more.
Largely? Aemon died of old age. The only thing Dareon was largely responsible for was that the Lady Ushanora left on time and that Sam met Arya and got both a boat and news of dragons. Loitering in Braavos is to be put at the feet of Samwell Tarly.

Does she know how to be a highborn girl any more? My bet is she's forgotten, except for the innate haughtiness and some lingering arrogance.

Some people think she will soon move to the palace of the Archon (?) of Braavos, perhaps as a courtesan. At least the whole court was listed in the original appendix of AFFC, which seemed a bit suspicious.

Besides, my bet is that the Manyfaced God has some connection to the struggle between Rhollor and the Great Other, perhaps by representing the latter? Arya will learn something crucial about that /about something that gives even her the creeps in TWOW, recover Needle and be on the run again.

SPOILER: possibly ADWD

Werthead theorized once that Daavos might be forced to go to Braavos to get out of sight after getting the Manderleys in Stannis' camp. There he could run into Arya and bring her with him back to Westeros.

All the remaining Starks have a role to play I'm sure. Arya will be an important player among them. She had to evolve from a small worried girl, escaping everyone and despising almost everyone to a conscious player. I hope her training in the House of Black and White will be of great importance but I've been a bit disappointed by it so far. She has already proved that she isn't afraid of death so what was the point of making her collect all the dead people in the sanctuary?

Her killing frenzy is well reflected by the direwolf that once belonged to her - apparently Nymeria is the terror of the riverlands, so, on a small scale is Arya. BTW do you think the direwolf has really arrived to Bravos to join her former master or was it just a dream, meaning that Arya has become closer to her real nature and her true destiny?

BTW do you think the direwolf has really arrived to Bravos to join her former master or was it just a dream,
It was a cat, she "warged" in a Braavosi cat. Nymeria is totally out of the equation, considering Arya dreamt about her and her pack chasing deer and man the night just before, unless you argue that not only the direwolf can swim across the narrow sea without drowning, but that it can do it in 12 hours, when ships do it in at least several days, if not a month.

Thinking about it, the FM's creed is that "all men must die", so what would they say when they learned of those who would not, like the ice wights and the BwB leaders? One of Arya's tasks may well be to go and put an end to these lives, at one point.

It was a cat, she "warged" in a Braavosi cat. Nymeria is totally out of the equation, considering Arya dreamt about her and her pack chasing deer and man the night just before, unless you argue that not only the direwolf can swim across the narrow sea without drowning, but that it can do it in 12 hours, when ships do it in at least several days, if not a month.

That's just a theory. When I first read FFC it sounded like an allegorical dream showing that she's lost her way, become disjointed from her past (as represented by Nymeria). She becomes blind in spirit as well as in the flesh. There's an obvious connection between her blindness and this dream, since they occur on the same night, and Arya suddenly discovering new warging skills doesn't fit it.

Thinking about it, the FM's creed is that "all men must die", so what would they say when they learned of those who would not, like the ice wights and the BwB leaders? One of Arya's tasks may well be to go and put an end to these lives, at one point.

If they have this agenda, why didn't they do anything against the Undying in Qarth? They were there moldering in their moldery house for hundreds of years at least. And they're high profile figures, known throughout the world for their magical abilities including I suspect their semi-eternal life.

Archived