2. Crowne Plaza Denver $129 $129 $129 $129 Yes 2 Childcare

3. Courtyard Denver Downtown $131 $141 $151 $161 No 2+ Quiet hotel

4. Westin Tabor Center $159 $159 $179 $199 No 5 Quiet hotel

5. Denver Marriott City Center $159 $159 $174 $174 Yes 4 Quiet hotel

6. Grand Hyatt Denver $159 $159 $159 $159 Yes 4 Quiet hotel

7. Adam's Mark (Sheraton) $149 $149 $149 $149 Yes 3.5 Party only hotel

Booking starts Jan 21st.

Further info can be found here.

Looking at the map on the Denvention site, why isn't the Hyatt the party hotel? I have only really been to three cons so I don't know but every one I have been to the party hotel was right next to the convention or a part of it.

You were lucky. :P I think 50% of Worldcons have had the party hotel next to the convention. Smaller cons would be right next to the convention centre though.

And I lost all formatting in that original post. It makes me cry. :(

That Denvention web site is extremely slow right now. Almost all access requests time out. I hope it's some kind of middle of the night maintenance, because if this response rate is normal for Jan 2 it is going to be dreadful on Jan 21.

I've taken the liberty of providing links here to the Denvention's page for each hotel, as well as the regular main web site for each hotel. I gather the Denvention page should be used to get convention rates, but the regular hotel web sites may help you make your decision.

1. Hyatt Regency Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

2. Crowne Plaza Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

3. Courtyard Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

4. Westin Tabor Center Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

5. Marriott City Center Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

6. Grand Hyatt Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

7. Adam's Mark Denvention page :drunk: Regular hotel page

I should think before I post. I've had free wi-fi in the lounge at cons before but never free internet access in your room. That would be first for a con in my experience. (Of course, there is always more than one hotel for a Worldcon, so others may have experienced things differently).

I've no idea about other hotels, since computers only seem important at cons. :P

Wait. Really? I've stayed at some shoddy hotels that allowed pets on the way from Ohio to Idaho, and every single one had free wifi in the rooms. I thought that was standard now. The fact that it's advertised sounded weird to me.

Wait. Really? I've stayed at some shoddy hotels that allowed pets on the way from Ohio to Idaho, and every single one had free wifi in the rooms. I thought that was standard now. The fact that it's advertised sounded weird to me.

Higher end business class hotels often charge for internet service, because most corporate travelers can expense everything.

I had to pay at LACon, I think. Perhaps not, hard to remember. If the first, it was 1 and 1/2 years ago so who knows what's up now.

LACon was free wireless in the rooms but you had to pay for wired access.

There could have been free wifi in the rooms in Glasgow also. I remember buying a wifi card around then. Can't recall for sure. And that could be what the hotel in Denver is talking about. Complementary wifi rather than wired access.

That's why you should get the IPhone

I don't think they sell those here yet. :P

Looking at the map on the Denvention site, why isn't the Hyatt the party hotel? I have only really been to three cons so I don't know but every one I have been to the party hotel was right next to the convention or a part of it.

Every WorldCon committee has to negotiate with the various hotels around the convention center for room blocks, function space, etc., etc. One major issue is getting waivers of corkage fees. Hotels make a lot of money off the prices they charge for liquor and service. Plus they have responsibilities as a holder of a liquor license that could be affected by guests pouring a lot of booze on their own.

Some hotels will take the hit, others won't. Some hotels have rates that are much higher than most fans will tolerate, and won't make a deal. (WorldCons are very much low-echelon as conventions go, wanting low fees and rates, only a small percentage of the attendees can write off the trip, so we're pretty much small fry in the greater conventions as a business for hotels and conventions centers in larger cities).

There have been notable exceptions to hotel blocks at WorldCons before, San Francisco comes to mind, for one. Some hotels just aren't interested in making a deal with a worldcon, and in Denver there are conventions going in and out of the city all summer. Not just the DNC, but John Deere is holding a major convention there as well.

Maybe I should start a 'WorldCon 101' symposium... or can we dig up in the archives the various posts I've written over the years explaining some of the basics? Just run them on a regular rotation?

thanks pod and teri for putting together the hotel information - sorry about the formatting pod!

you all can see it's a pretty good choice of hotels, all things considered.

In Glasgow, the party hotel was a cab ride away (or a good 25 min walk), so this isn't too bad.

Archived