The Wire Season 5 - Spoilers

Relic

Now we have Sword giving spoiler one-liners from future episodes? My brain exploded. I give up on the multi-thread system.

OK, it's a really small spoiler, but still wins the ultimate prize for irony, IMHO.

Wait until you see Omar and Rawls 69ing. Then your brain really will explode.

Now we have Sword giving spoiler one-liners from future episodes? My brain exploded. I give up on the multi-thread system.

OK, it's a really small spoiler, but still wins the ultimate prize for irony, IMHO.

I dont think its a "spoiler" at all. It might be called a "tease", but unless someone has seen the latest On Demand episode, it means nothing.

And anyway, its about the CURRENT On Demand episode in the SPOILER thread. So even if you consider it a spoiler, I'm still inside the rules.

Ok, its really close to the line, but still inside.

LOL

When did you watch it? Before you went to work this morning???? :)

I was really tempted to watch it on my lunch break, but I'm pretty sure the husband would kill me.

When did you watch it? Before you went to work this morning???? :)

I was really tempted to watch it on my lunch break, but I'm pretty sure the husband would kill me.

at 130 am monday morning. i had 4 hours of sleep =/

at 130 am sunday morning. i had 4 hours of sleep =/

Just goes to show Relic is MUCH more dedicated than I am. I got a good nights sleep and snuck home on a long lunch break to watch. Another benefit of not having a spouse. No one to get pissed at me for watching without them LOLOLOLOLOL

GotDamn!!!!!

That muthafucka can fly !!!!!!!!!

Well...it was only what...4 stories? No problem! And...man did Omar look scared. This could be rough for him.

The whole serial killer storyline is just pissing me off. I'm pretty much just like Bunk. My mind is revolting that anyone could do that shit. I mean, its looking like it might pay off, but damn I hate it.

Glad to see Cuttie reappear though.

I deliberately avoided reading this thread until now because I was under the impression that this thread would be ok to talk about the latest episode available OnDemand without using spoilers. Wasn't that what was agreed upon?

It looks like people are already talking about it without spoiler tags, but I'll add some space just in case.

Thoughts on episode 5:

I don't like criticizing the show, because yes, I fully realize that Simon is way smarter than me and it'll probably all tie together in the end, but this was the first episode where suspension-of-belief played a part in more than one storyline for me.

Like the above post, the serial killer thing is starting to bug me, too. Fudging a couple ODs? Okay. Using the teeth of a corpse to bite the victims and make it look sexual? Twisted as fuck, but I guess. But making phone calls to the media impersonating the serial killer? I can't believe this is actually playing out. This shit is gonna snowball fast, and McNulty and Lester are going to prison for this.

I honestly thought that that was it for Omar on this show. Unless he broke his leg or back during the fall (in which case he couldn't have gotten away), I don't see he could've survived and then run away after a 4 story fall. The stakeout seemed a little stupid, too. He already knows Marlo's a smart cat who won a turf war against the Barksales despite being vastly outnumbered, and also setup a perfect plot to frame him for a murder. So he's going to sit in a car with another man on a stakeout for multiple nights in an empty parking lot right in front of the building? Uh-huh

Okay, glad I got that out of my system.

So that reporter hack was likely making up that story about the homeless family of four crying about the murders, right?

I wonder why they keep going back to Bubbles and his grief over causing that kid to OD. I mean, it's already been shown again and again that he can't get over it. My crackpot theory is that he falls off the wagon again, ODs, and Jimmy and Lester get called to the scene with plans to mutilate his body, and finally realize they've gone too far. Probaby wishful thinking, but I got to believe Bubbles is going to fit in somewhere here down the road.

Preview for ep 6: Randy's back! He was my favorite project yo last year, so I'm glad we're going to get to see how he's faring.

So that reporter hack was likely making up that story about the homeless family of four crying about the murders, right?

Yes, but didn't the reporter fudge the whole whole serial killer call as well? IIRC Mcnutty's plan was to call in and do that same thing, but the 'makeup shit as i go along for good stories' writer beat him to the punch. It was pretty funny during the meeting with the newspaper honchos. Mcnutty knew dude was lying through his teeth, but it was exactly what he needed to happen. So he said they had a call into the PD to give the other guys lie credence. As i say, this whole thing is going to make my head break. I freaking hate this storyline. No way in hell anyone ever could do this stuff and still be labeled sane, which is maybe the point.

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. Yes, I will continue to say this after every On Demand airing. And this time I'll try to resist the urge and wait til Sunday. Fuck you.

Heh. That sucks you don't have it. What's funny is I don't know how I have On Demand and some don't. AFAIK, we didn't ask for it and have the most basic HBO package available. Must be a regional thing.

Yes, but didn't the reporter fudge the whole whole serial killer call as well? IIRC Mcnutty's plan was to call in and do that same thing, but the 'makeup shit as i go along for good stories' writer beat him to the punch. It was pretty funny during the meeting with the newspaper honchos. Mcnutty knew dude was lying through his teeth, but it was exactly what he needed to happen. So he said they had a call into the PD to give the other guys lie credence. As i say, this whole thing is going to make my head break. I freaking hate this storyline. No way in hell anyone ever could do this stuff and still be labeled sane, which is maybe the point.

Ohhhhh! I don't know how all of us missed that. Guess it goes without saying that it's not smart to talk during this show.

So that phone call was completely made up, then? Wow, that's a pretty big leap he's taking. From making up stories about a handicapped kid wanting to go to a baseball game to faking calls from a twisted serial killer? The latter's got to be a felony of some sort, right? Seems pretty shortsighted of him, too. Now two other detectives know he's a hack. And say they do catch the imaginary serial killer and ask him about this phone call. Sure it's his word against an accused killer, but with his track record....

So that phone call was completely made up, then? Wow, that's a pretty big leap he's taking. From making up stories about a handicapped kid wanting to go to a baseball game to faking calls from a twisted serial killer? The latter's got to be a felony of some sort, right? Seems pretty shortsighted of him, too. Now two other detectives know he's a hack. And say they do catch the imaginary serial killer and ask him about this phone call. Sure it's his word against an accused killer, but with his track record....

it was very obvious, i thought.

it was very obvious, i thought.

What was very obvious? That he had faked the phone call? Yeah, I already admitted to completely whiffing on that.

Or are you saying that everything I've written is obvious? In which case, okay fine. Just writing my thoughts.

In any case, I still think the whole serial-killer thing is beyond the pale.

What was very obvious? That he had faked the phone call? Yeah, I already admitted to completely whiffing on that.

Or are you saying that everything I've written is obvious? In which case, okay fine. Just writing my thoughts.

In any case, I still think the whole serial-killer thing is beyond the pale.

oh, you said "all of us". Guess i thought you meant everyone here. Oppsie.

Heh. My favorite was when McNutcase is in the meeting with the reporter and the editors and says, "we got a call from someone claiming to be the killer at the police station too" and the look on the reporter's face when he says "you did?".

Fuckin' classic.

And btw - in case you weren't aware before this episode... Omar is Batman, dammit.

Lost amidst all the other goings-on of this episode is the ongoing saga of Clay Davis. Sheeeeee-it. I thought it was very revealing to see just how hard Nereese came down on him because I figured Davis was above her level, though clearly he is not. Someone in one of the threads offered the opinion that he's probably going to find a way to weasel out of this, and I have to say that looks like a good possibility, there's just too many different players for him to try to manipulate (though he has struck out thus far). Or even he might not have to manipulate them, just wait for the different factions to aim for one another and him to get lost in the shuffle.

BTW, the radio station that Davis went on to plead his case is an actual station (WOLB 1010AM), and it is well known as the black/city talk radio station (as opposed to WBAL which is the white/suburban talk radio station). So I thought that was interesting. Not sure if the host in the episode is one of the actual people that is on the air there. For me that strikes me as pretty striking (though subtle) commentary - which ties in with the "rally" that Royce has for Davis. About all that Davis has going for him is an appeal to racial solidarity and the fact that they show that seeming to work is fascinating.

If the TV stations that they used in this or any other season were the same as the real stations that broadcast in Baltimore, I'd really have a hard time telling the difference between the fictional version and the real version. I doubt that's intentional, they probably just couldn't get the same permission from the stations as they got from, for example, the Baltimore Sun. Some of the TV reporters are even actual Baltimore TV reporters (or recent-former ones, I have to admit I'm not totally up to date on all of the personnel), so I'm not really sure what the deal is there.

About all that Davis has going for him is an appeal to racial solidarity and the fact that they show that seeming to work is fascinating.

Its not working at all. That tiny crowd Royce, Norese et al drummed up was obviously made up of hacks and hangers-on paying a political debt. And Royce's "aside" to Clay about "standing tall on this on" made it clear that despite the dog and pony show, Davis is going down.

And yes. Omar is damn sure Batman!!!!!!!

I deliberately avoided reading this thread until now because I was under the impression that this thread would be ok to talk about the latest episode available OnDemand without using spoilers. Wasn't that what was agreed upon?

:dunno: Looks like everybody was using spoiler tags at some point, and then we just sort of stopped. It hadn't occurred to me that so many people watched it after midnight on Sunday, so I didn't expect to see anything about it in the middle of the day on Monday, but if everybody just wants it to be open season no spoiler tags after midnight on Sunday, I'll consider myself forewarned. (Mostly I was just kidding around anyways.)

Anyways, I agree with Blaine - also loved the interplay between McNulty and Templeton at the meeting. Hilarious. I don't mind that plot line as much as a lot of people posting - it drove me a little nuts at first when it was just McNulty, but they've done good things with it since then, IMO.

Question - how can Lester or any other police use Marlo's cell number? From that point forward, all that evidence is inadmissible. I don't believe that Lester wouldn't want a little more information on where it came from.

Archived