The Wire Season 5 - Spoilers

Relic

Are you talking about yourself or Simon?

Because if you mean Simon, maybe it is spot on, but to a lot of people (including myself), it's a one-dimensional, black and white storyline with no gray area.

well, where is the grey in regards to major media outside of the show, in our society? there isnt any there either as far as im concerned. its money over journalism. i dont think its as complex an issue as, say, inner city schooling so maybe thats why you find it boring.

The reason I find it boring (relatively) is becuse the two management characters are cartoon villains, and Gus is a saint who can do no wrong.

Compare the managment to Burrell and Rawls.

Even in series one they were rounded characters whereas the newspaper bad guys are interchangable. With enough time they could become interesting, but there is not time. Its the last season with only 10 episodes instead of the usual 12/13. There are other, more interesting characters/storylines that are being shortchanged because of the newspaper angle.

It just isn't as compelling as the Sobotkas and the Greeks from season 2, the schoolkids in season 4, or even the politicians in season 3 IMO.

It isn't bad, but its not as good as everything else and with the time constraints I feel its an indulgence the show can't afford.

Edited. It wasn't a spoiler though.

well, where is the grey in regards to major media outside of the show, in our society? there isnt any there either as far as im concerned. its money over journalism. i dont think its as complex an issue as, say, inner city schooling so maybe thats why you find it boring.

Oops, I worded that wrong. I meant the characters in the media storyline were black and white with little inbetween, not the actual storyline itself.

It isn't bad, but its not as good as everything else and with the time constraints I feel its an indulgence the show can't afford.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up for me.

There're other subplots that I would've preferred over the time they're putting into this one. What's going on with Randy in the group home is the first one that comes to mind. But that's just me.

The reason I find it boring (relatively) is becuse the two management characters are both cartoon villains, and Gus is a saint who can do no wrong. I've seen 7 episodes but no character development in the newspaper.

Compare the managment to Burrell and Rawls. Even in series one they were rounded characters whereas the newspaper bad guys are interchangable. With enough time they could become interesting, but there is not time. Its the last season with only 10 episodes instead of the usual 12/13. There are other, more interesting characters/storylines that are being shortchanged because of the newspaper angle.

It just isn't as compelling as the Sobotkas and the Greeks from season 2, the schoolkids in season 4, or even the politicians in season 3 IMO.

Four episodes into season 1, Rawls and Burrell were still cartoon villains.

The reason I find it boring (relatively) is becuse the two management characters are both cartoon villains, and Gus is a saint who can do no wrong. I've seen 7 episodes but no character development in the newspaper.

hey, d-bag, BLACK OUT ANYTHING THAT IS AHEAD OF WHAT IS ON DEMAND. Very simple rules here.

SPOILER: Episode 6
The soldier with the PTSD is so cliched and over the top. Simon doesn't have a clue about the military. He needs to stick with what he knows and what he has researched. That's why the Wire is so good. Rather than, hey I hate the Pentagon and Bush and the Iraq war and here is a convenient vessel (the cliched homeless vet whose commanders don't care about him) to get on my soapbox about it.

I am actually enjoying this season alot overall though. I can't wait to see how this whole charade of McNulty's comes crashing down. It's going to be a spectacular disaster.

I'm not going to black it out because I haven't revealed anything. Just because I feel there has been no character development doesn't mean others will agree with me when they see it. Its just my opinion not a spoiler.

Edit: The mods have spoken, its gone.

Also, I find it rather amusing that Relic has quoted my supposed 'spoiler' in the same post that he uses to admonish me. Maybe I'm missing a joke.

P.S. Whats a d-bag?

For the sake of keeping the thread from degenerating, please go back and spoiler tag anything that refers to episodes that haven't aired. I don't watch the show so I can't say how spoilerish the paragraph might be, but it will keep people from getting annoyed.

To do the spoiler tag:

<SPOILER=AGoT>

Ned dies!</SPOILER>

Just replace the < and > with [ and ] to make the HTML tags work. It will look like this:

SPOILER: AGoT
Ned dies!

I don't watch the show so

Given your experience in the field and how much of a devoted film-phile you are, I figured you'd have long since checked out the Wire. Just never got around to it or never had an interest? Really is some of the best shit on the small screen. Join us...or Die!!!...or don't join us...and live. Whichever works for ya.

SPOILER: Episode 6

Kind of an iffy episode. Herc does some good, Omar gets set up and walks into a trap completely oblivious...at least now he knows how good Marlo's people are. Otherwise not much to say bout this one. Kind of a transitional episode me thinks.

Now we have Sword giving spoiler one-liners from future episodes? My brain exploded. I give up on the multi-thread system.

OK, it's a really small spoiler, but still wins the ultimate prize for irony, IMHO.

Archived