Is Benjen Stark Alive?

Although I still personally think Benjen is Coldhands, if we're going down the route of the possibility he's alive the whole "hooded man" thing is extremely far-fetched. It seems clear to me that small speaking part merely exists to accentuate everyone's hatred for Theon Greyjoy - there's several similar incidents where people at Winterfell express similar distaste for him. The reason the man is not named is because his name doesn't matter, the scene is about Theon, not him. Despite any arguments regarding Coldhands, I'm pretty sure that whatever Benjen's character is doing, it's beyond the wall.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost a year since my first reading of the series. And on my reread on Game of Thrones, I've decided to pay more attention to all the legends and stories.

And interesting point I read in GOT was in one of Bran's chapters. Old Nan was telling him a scary story about the long winter, and how a man set out North looking for the children of the forest.

So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped whe he tried to use it. And the others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on this trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds...
Bran GOT

What caught my eye about this story was the last hero, who I'm going to make a leap of thought and suggest this is Cold Hands. It would fit into the whole idea of him dying long ago.

Bran doesn't hear the end of the story. What is interesting is I'm quite sure Benjen would have heard this story from old Nan, and would have known the ending. I'm thinking that Benjen, encountering the Others on his ranging, has set off to achieve what the last hero did. GRR neatly interrupted the Nan's story with Tyrion's arrival as well, which makes me think that Benjen being alive still is quite a possibility. Not going to predict what has happened to him along the way, but I'm pretty sure he's looking for a way to defeat the others.

In my reread I came across one of Jon's chapter and when Jon and Mormont are talking about whether or not Benjen is alive or dead Mormont's raven starts cawing "dead" over and over again and with some ferocity. If we are to accept the oft mentioned theory that Mormont's raven is at least partially influenced by Bloodraven, it does not bode well for Benjen. This doesn't mean we won't see him again, however, considering he would have died in a place where thing's aren't known to stay dead.

Benjen is alive somewhere, I am hoping he is next prologue/epilogue.

Benjen IS NOT Coldhands. I have a better time swallowing Coldhands being the Last Hero. ColdHands is someone from the past, probably the age of heroes (way before GAME), and Benjen was alive in GAME.

In my reread I came across one of Jon's chapter and when Jon and Mormont are talking about whether or not Benjen is alive or dead Mormont's raven starts cawing "dead" over and over again and with some ferocity. If we are to accept the oft mentioned theory that Mormont's raven is at least partially influenced by Bloodraven, it does not bode well for Benjen. This doesn't mean we won't see him again, however, considering he would have died in a place where thing's aren't known to stay dead.

This has been brought up before but it's still a valid point. I personally think it was Bloodraven talking brought the raven. But it was a lie saying Benjen is dead. He lied because had Jon believed that his uncle was still alive, he might have dwelled on finding him instead of maturing and progressing to where he is now.

This has been brought up before but it's still a valid point. I personally think it was Bloodraven talking brought the raven. But it was a lie saying Benjen is dead. He lied because had Jon believed that his uncle was still alive, he might have dwelled on finding him instead of maturing and progressing to where he is now.

If Brynden Rivers is really that hands on with Jonny he could've tried to prevent the assassination on Jon end DwD. Now Jon is 'dead'. Whatever he had planned for Jon can now be canned.

The Raven just might be telling the truth. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see uncle Ben back as well and tell Jon of his parantage but at this point we must assume Ben is dead.

If Brynden Rivers is really that hands on with Jonny he could've tried to prevent the assassination on Jon end DwD. Now Jon is 'dead'. Whatever he had planned for Jon can now be canned.

The Raven just might be telling the truth. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see uncle Ben back as well and tell Jon of his parantage but at this point we must assume Ben is dead.

You are assuming the assassination attempt isn't all a part of the plan...

• 1 month later...

My Benjen Stark theory has many holes in it, and is only what I am beginning to suspect. Here it is:

Benjen is still alive and North of the Wall. He left the cache of dragonglass for his fellow brothers to find and use. Something happened to Benjen and the group that set out with him (obviously). I believe there were more men with him than just the two that were found dead, so it's also possible that he has men with him still. Bran might be able to see some of his/their movements and activities over the past few years via the weirwood. I think that whatever happened to him/them meant that he had to continue forward into the Land of Always Winter.

Because GRRM has said we will see what's actually North of the Wall, and hints at Benjen still having a part to play I think that he must be our POV character that will reveal to use more about the Others and what lies North of the Wall.

Anyway, thats it. Just my thoughts of what might happen. I don't fully believe it, as I'm not GRRM and don't know what will actually happen.

If he's alive, you have to ask "where has he been all this time?" It's hard to think of a sensible answer that doesn't involve captivity of some kind. I think Osha may have given us the answer. A female giant is holding him captive as a sex slave. In fact, it could be that there are a number of them sharing him and creating an army of half giant Starks. We've found the Horn of Winter, it was in Benjen's pants all along.

• 2 months later...

I just don't understand why GRRM would continue to pour in the references for no reason. There are roughly 7-10 references in ADWD alone. GRRM is not usually in the habit of repeatedly mentioning characters if they are never to be talked about again. I don't know if he is coldhands but part of me hopes he is just so i could get an answer. Ben seemed like a really interesting character

• 2 weeks later...

I don`t believe that Benjen is dead but alive and kicking, personally i think/ope he will be a POV for the lands of always winter, as leader of the rangers he is the most able person to survive these lands and with GRRM hinting that we will go further north in winds of winter it would fit nicely. I know Bran and Jon are favs to be the POV in this srea but with Bran being stuck toa tree and jon on the wrong side of the wall dead or alive i think a overdue return for benjen to show us these un-explored lands.

GRRM has already hinted rather broadly that Benjen will be entering the stage.

What? Where? How? sooo many Questions!

I honestly think that due to benjen's top class ranging skills the most likely theory is that he's holed up some where beyond the wall, picking off others with guerilla warfare

I like this Idea a lot! Especially the mental image it creates, "Benjen hiding in the far north and stealth killing every Other he sees". Badass!

Benjen is alive and normal. He will be our first POV in the Land of Always Winter. He was known as the best ranger the Watch had. It's not a stretch for me to believe he could have survived the journey alive on his own. And it can be argued that a journey of that distance would take the amount of time that's been covered in the books. Benjen will be our POV for what Bran saw in his first dream. This would likely remove him from being able to return to The Wall or Westeros to influence any events in those places. Maybe he dies heroically fighting ice monsters? Giving us our first taste of the real threat.

Or he could ride out on an ice dragon :D That would get him back to The Wall or Westeros in time to influence events.

I have no theory yet for how Benjen could survive the journey to the Land of Always Winter. Just that I would find it believable.

It would be awesome if Benjen's story mirrors that of the Last Hero. It would be great if a POV early in TWOW opens with a man telling the rest of Old Nan's story about the Last Hero. The man is then revealed to be Benjen and the POV is his.

Or before the Benjen chapter someone could tell the ENTIRE story to Jon or someone as foreshadowing.

So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped whe he tried to use it. And the others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on this trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds...

Archived