Boxeo- The BIG one! 2nd big fight of the year; Pac-man v. Hatton, reactions!

Horus Ex Machina

Yeh that is a bloody stupid accusation. There is no way Hopkins should have been allowed to fight the way he did. If you can remember the referee last night was the same Joe Cortez who wouldn't let Ricky Hatton do any holding or work on the inside against Mayweather. The referee was totally biased towards Hopkins.

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1322006' date='Apr 21 2008, 02.08']If you can remember the referee last night was the same Joe Cortez who wouldn't let Ricky Hatton do any holding or work on the inside against Mayweather. The referee was totally biased towards Hopkins.[/quote]

'I'm Joe Cortez, I'm firm but fair' :lol:

Kinda reminds me of Pierluigi Collina in the way that a referee gets a media profile of his own. Though Collina was competent at least. Maybe I should compare Cortez to Graham Poll.

I also noted the change of standards in Cortez's reffing. I initially had no problem with how he handled the Hatton fight. If the ref wants to keep the clinching to a minimum, more power to him. Each ref has their own style. But that changed from night to day from the Hatton to the B-Hop fight. If we had the Cortez of the Hatton fight in there, you might have seen a knockout. Or at the very least, some bruised up faces.

And B-hop's shots were on the average more powerful. But he threw too damned few of them. Lunge, punch, clinch is not a recipe for success. He counterpunched, but less and less as the fight wore on. Rarely, if ever, would you see a combination out of the guy. And yeah, he was making Joe fight his fight early on. But that also faded as the fight wore on as Joe seemed to find his range and comfort zone. This was only aggravated as Joe adapted to B-hop's tactics and B-hop's age started to show. He got slower, more sluggish, and his legs really didn't seem to be with him in the last few rounds.

Joe's 'slaps' also began to be thrown and land flush more often, rocking B-hop's head back more and more often, and he had a clear advantage in workrate, pressure, ring generalship, punches landed and the effect of the punches. (Not great effect, but B-hop wasn't doing much himself to great effect in the later rounds) Joe had the advantage in every punch statistic. He was fighting his fight for the most part in the later rounds. (it was more his fight than B-hop's anyway) Didn't dominate, but decisively won almost all of the later rounds. And took a few of the earlier ones on my scorecard as well.

It was an ugly fight all around. And neither fighter really hurt the other or dominated the other. But Joe won and won convincingly enough IMO. I didn't see any screwjob whatsoever. Judges tend to favor high workrate all other things being equal. And B-hop simply wasn't doing enough to counter that.

• 1 month later...
[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3429729"]Mayweather is retiring[/url]. So let's look at what we're missing now that Prettyboy is leaving the fight game. There will be no DLH rematch at the HDC, which only matters to the guys who will be counting the money at the end of the day, but anyone actually interested in watching the sport for the sake of the sport already knows how that would have gone down and wasn't really interested in seeing it again.

We will not see him fight Cotto, which I never really thought would take place, but was hopeful that maybe Mayweather could be enticed to take him on.

Anyone who saw the Pavlik fight can chime in here. [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=raskin_eric&id=3431767"]Here's an article which cites comparison between Pavlik and Gatti.[/url]

I've got the fight recorded and plan on watching it today. I also will read the article in a bit. Just to say that any comparison between Gatti and Pavlik is one hell of a disservice to Pavlik. Unless the article says that 'Pavlik is like Gatti, but with talent'. Don't get me wrong, Gatti is a fun boxer. But Mayweather was right when he called him a jumped up club fighter.

Eh...I see the article is talking just about drawing power. Fair enough. I like Pavlik as much as the next guy, but this really was a joke of a fight. Would've liked to see a real opponent.

As for Mayweather...hopefully this is just one of his eccentric little rants. I know the guys loaded, but he's passing up 8 figures by skipping the DLH fight. Unless your last name is Gates or Buffet, you don't sneeze at that kind of money no matter how wealthy you already are. And he's passing up prestige and respect in the sport (don't get me wrong, he already has a bunch of that, but this would solidify his legacy) by ducking Cotto. If he'd just fight Cotto (I too am not terribly interested in a DLH repeat) I'd throw him his damned retirement party afterward, win or lose. But he wants to retire a legend and I'm not fully convinced that he's even the best 'around' his weight class.

The Pavlik article does seem strange until you see where they draw the comparison. But Pavlik needs to find his rival like Gatti did.

Mayweather want's nothing to do with Cotto, and while I normaly don't want fighters tarnishing their image by fighting when they're over the hill, this is not close to being the case for Mayweather who is only 31. He could take a Cotto fight if it was in him but at this point in his career his is not interested in risking losing a fight. He has spent the past year or so carefully cultivating his image both on WWE, Iron Ring, Dancing with Stars, to let that image fall away now. Now there are rumors of him fighting in MMA, but again, does he really want to risk looking bad there? Unless DW has promised him a fight against a striker who won't try to take him to the ground.

[url="http://Mora%20wins%20WBC%20super%20welterweight%20title"]The Contender finally has a champion as Sergio Mora defeated Vernon Forrest for the WBC Super Welterweight title.[/url] Mora is far and away the best fighter ever on that show and I figured that it wouldn't be too long before he found the right opportunity to get a belt. To beat Forrest is no small task either. Ask Shane Moseley.

Poor Gary Lockett. I chucked a silly fiver on him to win by KO but I knew it was never going to happen lol. Totally outclassed.

Anyone watch the Pavlik undercard. Daniel Ponce De Leon got knocked out in the first round by a guy called Juan Manuel Lopez. Lopez looks the real deal and could be the next big thing in the lighter divisions.

As for Mayweather if he dosen't fight Cotto I think that will make a serious dent in his claims to be a legend IMO.

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1389076' date='Jun 8 2008, 17.17']Poor Gary Lockett. I chucked a silly fiver on him to win by KO but I knew it was never going to happen lol. Totally outclassed.

Anyone watch the Pavlik undercard. Daniel Ponce De Leon got knocked out in the first round by a guy called Juan Manuel Lopez. Lopez looks the real deal and could be the next big thing in the lighter divisions.

As for Mayweather if he dosen't fight Cotto I think that will make a serious dent in his claims to be a legend IMO.[/quote]
What I remember from watching the last Ponce De Leon fight was that he had a nice backstory, his opponent was ducking the entire fight, he had alot of power and zeero footwork. I had a feeling that he was going to get KO'd soon. Too bad that I missed that one. Guess that's what Youtube's for.

[quote name='Horus - Spider Silva' post='1389107' date='Jun 8 2008, 23.46']What I remember from watching the last Ponce De Leon fight was that he had a nice backstory, his opponent was ducking the entire fight, he had alot of power and zeero footwork. I had a feeling that he was going to get KO'd soon. Too bad that I missed that one. Guess that's what Youtube's for.[/quote]

Yeh I thought De Leon lost the fight you were on about loll. Hes strong and thats about it. Yeh the vids on youtube somewhere, the other guy looked very impressive imo.

Also Paul The Punisher Williams won back his welterweight title with a first round knockout of Carlos Quintana. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzpFQB9HDs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzpFQB9HDs[/url]

I always felt that he had just had an off night in the first match and this seems to prove that.

Its not just Cotto that Mayweather seems to be avoiding. I would love to see him fight Mosley. Also, IIRC Mayweather ducked Kosta Tzsyu a few years back.

Personally I think Mayweather would beat Cotto, Mosley, Margarito or whoever.

Pavlik can be forgiven for fighting Lockett. Pavlik just came off a streak of Edison Miranda and Jermain Taylor twice. He deserved a cake walk. As long as he fights someone decent next time I'll be happy. Apart from the obvious matchup with Calzaghe I would love to see him fight Arthur Abraham.

So if Mayweather is retired, who's the new P4P king? Between Pacquiao and Calzaghe, Manny has been number 2 for a several months now. Both boxers last fights weren't clear cut wins though I think Pac-Marquez was a better match fightwise and entertainmentwise. Does that make Manny Pacquaio the new number 1?

I think Pacquiao is probably the new No. 1. Just look at the people he has beaten over all those weight divisions. Calzaghe is class but he just doesn't have the wins against quality fighters that Pacquiao has.

[quote name='dits' post='1389176' date='Jun 8 2008, 17.42']So if Mayweather is retired, who's the new P4P king? Between Pacquiao and Calzaghe, Manny has been number 2 for a several months now. Both boxers last fights weren't clear cut wins though I think Pac-Marquez was a better match fightwise and entertainmentwise. Does that make Manny Pacquaio the new number 1?[/quote]
Calzaghe's retiring too isn't he?

Calzaghe is retiring too? I was hoping he was going to fight Pavlik. There's gonna be a big shakeup in the P4P lists then.

Well, guess Manny does get to be crowned P4P King. His resume has been impressive with wins against 3 P4Pers, two of which maybe HoFers. Hope he still plans on facing JMM.

[quote name='dits' post='1389351' date='Jun 9 2008, 03.45']Well, guess Manny does get to be crowned P4P King. His resume has been impressive with wins against 3 P4Pers, two of which maybe HoFers. Hope he still plans on facing JMM.[/quote]

Its proabaly gonna happen at some point. They are both moving up to lightweight. There are plenty of good opponents at lightweight and if Pacquiao and Marquez both succeed there will be a huge clamour for them to fight each other again.

IMO Lightweight is the second most competitive division after welterweight. Pac-man and Marquez have been added to Casamayor, Campell, Juan Diaz, David Diaz, Julio Diaz, Katsidis and the up and coming Amir Khan.

• 3 weeks later...
Two fun fights from last weekend: Miranda Vs Abraham II (in the first fight Miranda broke Abraham's jaw in two places yet still lost the fight) and Khan Vs Gomez.

Abraham looks good. As the commentators pointed out he was almost doing the rope-a-dope thing, his counter punches were excellent. He is one tough son of a bitch. Miranda may not be the best boxer but he is strong as hell and yet Abraham never seemed to wince despite all the body shots.

Pavlik and Abraham both own KO's against Miranda. Its almost a certainty that they will fight early next year and I for one can't wait.

Khan vs Gomez was all action just like all Amir's fights. Once again Khan gets floored by an average fighter and then blows him outa the water. Reminded me a little of Casamayor Vs Katsisdis, only shorter.

One thing for certain, Khan isn't ready for his mandatory shot at a world title against Nate Campbell.

I don't think we learned anything new about Khan. He still has one of the most dynamic and interesting attacking styles out there but is too vulnerable to a counterpunch. He is still very young so with good coaching he can improve on that, kinda like Pacquiao did. Though like Pacquaio I don't think he will ever eradicate that flaw completely.

You can watch both fights on Youtube, and they are worth watching. They're both quite short.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxX6NJ2mqik"]Abraham Vs Miranda II part 1[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztSsTnu-fsY"]Abraham Vs Miranda II part 2[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWt8PsVM5Qo"]Khan Vs Gomez part 1[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mtSAkAtYY"]Khan Vs Gomez part 2[/url]

Archived