Randyll Tarly

Anatole Kuragin

Sam was educated, clothed, fed and looked after, given music kittens and books to spend his time with till he was an adult and then told to leave.

"Leave and take the black or I'll kill you tomorrow."

Hmmm.

In this day and age that is a fair upbringing in medieval times that was probably considered being spoilt. I bet the 95% of his black brothers(even Jon) would have gladly swapped their childhood for his.

I disagree. His father was disapointed. His father looked at him with hatred. And, after Dickon, his father ignored him completely. Sam was nothing for Randyll.

Had he not been 1st born or female I'm sure Randyll would have shown him more affection and tolerance but as irst born the Tarly name lives with him. Its not about being a warrior but a competent leader, which clearly he showed no sign of. Sam's a nice guy and had hidden depths of courage but as a Lord he'd useless and would be jeopardizing Randyll's grandchildren and great-grandchildrens inheritance.

"Father, could I go to Oldtown and begin the studies in Citadel?"

"Father, could I go to Baelor Sept and begin...?"

Dungeon. Chains. Three days without food.

Samwell Tarly must to be Randyll Tarly junior or... dissapear. No maester, no septon - nobody.

I am sorry, but You are wrong.

Jaime is a much much worse father than Randyll, Craster is a genuine evil father

Jaime did'nt exist in heads of his children as their father.

Craster was sick pervert.

Randyll Tarly is EVIL FATHER for Samwell. It is known.

Hmmm.

That was a final 'threat'. Why give him the choice, why wait till he's an adult if Randyll was evil he could of had an accident with Sam once Dickon was born rather than continue to spend money on him. He could of thrown him out years before that but he waited for him to become an adult first. Its not like Sam was Harry Potter living underneath the stairs he was given luxuries and allowed to live as he pleased once Dickon was born.

There are far far worse upbringings in this day and age nevermind in medieval times.

I disagree. His father was disapointed. His father looked at him with hatred. And, after Dickon, his father ignored him completely. Sam was nothing for Randyll.

Well we dont know the full story and without a Randyll POV we'll never know his true feelings. But what we do know is that Sam reacts negatively to most people trying to make him feel better. His brothers gave him affectionate nicknames, like they did to most of the night watch, and Sam just felt they were picking on him. He has an inferiority complex, which granted probably wasnt helped by his dad and a lack of therapists in Westeros :devil: , which wouldnt have allowed him to accept any type of praise or affection from a stern father.

Samwell Tarly must to be Randyll Tarly junior or... dissapear. No maester, no septon - nobody.

He could fail both Maester or Baelor training and still decided to reclaim his fathers lands after Randyll had died. From Randyll's perspective Sam had given up on everything, why would that change once the fist serious obstacle came up at either Maester or Septonhood.

Randyll Tarly is a monster. I find it disgusting (and quite telling) that he is so revered amongst asoiaf fans and called by some "the perfect lord". Gross.

Completely agreed. Just re-read the Brienne chapters where he's handing out "justice" on the docks. Absolutely brutal, and does it totally casually as if there's not a care in the world that he's about to hang someone or maim them.

Not to mention where he calls Brienne a freak and pretty much tells her that she needs to get some sense "raped" into her. He's a disgusting human being. I wonder if Dickon is a total screw-up, I can't imagine he's not with Tarly as his dad.

Randyll Tarly is a monster. I find it disgusting (and quite telling) that he is so revered amongst asoiaf fans and called by some "the perfect lord". Gross.

sry , but putting Randyll in the same catergory as Ramsey, Craster and Gregor is to a certain degree ridiculous.

his action towards Sam are NOT agreeable, but understandable IMHO he didn't want a situation same as the tyrells are having NOW.

sry , but putting Randyll in the same catergory as Ramsey, Craster and Gregor is to a certain degree ridiculous.

his action towards Sam are NOT agreeable, but understandable IMHO he didn't want a situation same as the tyrells are having NOW.

Randall is pretty bad. He had a prostitute's genitalia disfigured with lye. He had seven of some poor man's fingers cut off, and spikes driven through his hands. He told Brienne that she needed a good raping. He horribly threatened his son. He is definitely a monster, and a cruel, evil man.

That being said, he is a fairly entertaining character and I empathize to some extent with his frustration with Sam. But a monster nonetheless.

Completely agreed. Just re-read the Brienne chapters where he's handing out "justice" on the docks. Absolutely brutal, and does it totally casually as if there's not a care in the world that he's about to hang someone or maim them.

Its what Lords do. We get a POV from Ned and his children to show that Ned thinks about his actions but to an outsider looking in he's just a brute lopping of heads of people who no longer want to spend their lives serving on the wall or wildlings wanting to escape to a better life.

The majority of the Riverlands has been ravaged by war and bandits are free to do what they want. Its sad but to protect the majority stern leadership is needed at that point in time.

Not to mention where he calls Brienne a freak and pretty much tells her that she needs to get some sense "raped" into her. He's a disgusting human being. I wonder if Dickon is a total screw-up, I can't imagine he's not with Tarly as his dad.

er hang on a minute LITERALLY EVERYONE in Westeros considers Brienne to be a freak. Men women even the people she grew up with dont understand the what she is.

He actually stopped her from being raped as he put an end to an escalation of events where soldiers were betting on who would take her first. A disgusting human being would of let events unfold without butting in, just because his advice over a womans independence and fatherhood dont measure up to modern standards does not make him a monster. The fact that he has his soldiers repairing the towns they are in rather than letting them plunder the place(which all armies eben Robbs have been doing) is actually quite remarkable.

Its what Lords do. We get a POV from Ned and his children to show that Ned thinks about his actions but to an outsider looking in he's just a brute lopping of heads of people who no longer want to spend their lives serving on the wall or wildlings wanting to escape to a better life.

The majority of the Riverlands has been ravaged by war and bandits are free to do what they want. Its sad but to protect the majority stern leadership is needed at that point in time.

I really can't believe I am having to explain something this basic to other human beings.

So apparently I have to spell it out. What makes Randyll a monster whereas Ned is not: monsters like Randyll/Ramsey/Gregor GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to do additional harm to their people than what is necessary under the law, and they do it because they derive pleasure from these activities. Randyll Tarly is very guilty of both. And he has no legitimate reason for treating Sam the way he does, for the record. Disinheriting is fine, but saying nothing would please him more than personally murdering his son is sadistic and horrible.

er hang on a minute LITERALLY EVERYONE in Westeros considers Brienne to be a freak. Men women even the people she grew up with dont understand the what she is.

He actually stopped her from being raped as he put an end to an escalation of events where soldiers were betting on who would take her first. A disgusting human being would of let events unfold without butting in, just because his advice over a womans independence and fatherhood dont measure up to modern standards does not make him a monster. The fact that he has his soldiers repairing the towns they are in rather than letting them plunder the place(which all armies eben Robbs have been doing) is actually quite remarkable.

I'm not making this up. He tells Brienne to her face that she's a freak who needs to get raped. He tells her this. This is completely independent of the other incident.

And Ned chopping off a head does not equal Randyll Tarly pouring Lye down a woman's privates and cutting some guys fingers off and then driving a spike through his other hand. In what world are they similar? One is quick and necessary, the other is excessively cruel and violent.

not to mention he doesn't call her a cheater or kingslayer

@MyDogisNamedDanerys

besides: what randyll did in maidenpool is in term of justice buisness as usual

(every lord would agree on these sentences some would even call them mild)

And Ned chopping off a head does not equal Randyll Tarly pouring Lye down a woman's privates and cutting some guys fingers off and then driving a spike through his other hand. In what world are they similar? One is quick and necessary, the other is excessively cruel and violent.

If you ask me, it is rather analogous to Joffrey having singers' tongues torn out and executing the antler men by nailing antlers to their heads and having them hurled from trebuchets.

not to mention he doesn't call her a cheater or kingslayer

@MyDogisNamedDanerys

besides: what randyll did in maidenpool is in term of justice buisness as usual

(every lord would agree on these sentences some would even call them mild)

Which lords? Lord Ramsay? King Joffrey? Those are the only two that quickly come to mind with a yen for torturing people.

Actually, I'm really not sure what you are referring to. What "situation" are the Tyrells in? They don't have any "weak" heirs as far as I know. If you mean Tommen, he's EIGHT. And he really wants to start learning to be a knight (Cersei made him stop).

Which lords? Lord Ramsay? King Joffrey? Those are the only two that quickly come to mind with a yen for torturing people.

I was thinking of the septhief randyll caught (several more pious lords would have chopped both hands of the thief)

ramsey would have fed him to his dogs and joffrey ironicly maybe just that.

Actually, I'm really not sure what you are referring to. What "situation" are the Tyrells in? They don't have any "weak" heirs as far as I know. If you mean Tommen, he's EIGHT. And he really wants to start learning to be a knight (Cersei made him stop).

I'm saying the weak heir is Warden of the reach RIGHTNOW

I'm thinking of the leadership Mace offers.

he's to put it mildly an fat oaf in total reliance of Olenna, Garlan, Willas and Randyll

Hmmm.

Jaime did'nt exist in heads of his children as their father.

Craster was sick pervert.

Randyll Tarly is EVIL FATHER for Samwell. It is known.

This is what I wanted to put into words and couldn't. Thank you.

I'm not making this up. He tells Brienne to her face that she's a freak who needs to get raped. He tells her this. This is completely independent of the other incident.

Does he rape her, does he order his men to rape her? Words are very different from deeds!

Brienne has the right to do what she wants but there's a very real threat that the life she has chosen is going to lead to her being raped and then murdered and the chivalrous/sexist world they live in means good men dont want that to happen. He, her father and many other 'honourable' men have repeatedly told her she's in danger, and lets be clear if it wasnt for Jaime suddenly growing a conscious she most likely would of been repeatedly raped at Harrenhall by both Goats men and the Mountains until she was dead.

Randyll is definitely sexist but he wants her to return home for her own safety.

Lets ask the prisoner what punishment they'd rather have shall we?

Ned feels its his right to decapitate any deserters from the Wall, the same place he is allowing his teenage son to go to.

While Randyll sounds like an outright harsh asshole, I don't see how he is on the same level as outright sadistic psychopaths like Joffrey, Ramsay or Gregor.

He sounds more like Stannis.

Disagree. He clearly enjoys the ability to hurt others that his station allows.

He is PLEASED at the idea that he would be the one who could kill Sam if Sam did not take the black.

He brags about doling out punishments more torturous than anyone but Joffery has been seen to offer.

He is a sadist. Like Joffery. Like Gregor. Like Tywin in the Shae incident.

Very unlike Stannis, Ned, or Robb.

I totally agree.

Randyll Tarly is not like Stannis. I don't think that Tarly would treat the Mormont women any different than Brienne. I don't remember Stannis calling the Mormonts freaks or saying that they need "a good hard raping". If one of them got raped, he would geld the rapist. Tarly would just say that they had it coming.

Maybe the deserter would have preferred lye down his privates, or losing his fingers in a painful way, to death but that was not an option: Running from the Wall is a capital crime in Westeros. Ned did not feel that it was his right to exceute the man, it was his duty. Decapitation is more merciful than hanging, so he actually granted the deserter mercy.

Ned was not happy sending Jon to the Wall, but he had to find a place for Jon and knew that Jon had expressed a wish to join the Night's Watch. It probably never occurred to him that Jon might desert the Watch - he raised all his sons to do their duty. All his children actually, not only his sons.

Archived