Last Man Standing contest?

kyleM

[b]North - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Barristan "The Bold" Selmy[/b] Vs (4) Gerold Hightower
(3) The Smiling Knight Vs (2) [b]Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane[/b]

[b]South - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning"[/b] Vs (5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper"
(6) [b]Garlan Tyrell[/b] Vs (2) Serwyn of the Mirrorshield

[b]West - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister[/b] Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy
(3) [b]Daemon Blackfyre[/b] Vs (2) Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers

[b]East - Round III[/b]
(1) Aemon the Dragonknight Vs (4) [b]Khal Drogo[/b]
(3) [b]Robert Baratheon[/b] Vs (2)Sandor "The Hound" Clegane (I totally agree with DocBean on this match)

[quote name='DocBean' post='1381822' date='Jun 3 2008, 09.48'][b](3) Robert Baratheon [/b]Vs (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane - I thought long and hard about this one, but I don't think people give Robert enough credit. the hound is intimidating, but who has he really beaten?
Remember Robert used a Warhammer so big that most men, including Ned, couldn't barely lift it.[/quote]
Not only is the Hound big and strong, he's also a skilled fighter. I like to cite the description of his joust with Jaime for that. (I know this isn't jousting, but still, it shows he's got strategy.) Plus he fought the mob on his own, and he was razing people in the Battle of Blackwater, according to Davos's description. And he took down a bunch of guys at the Red Wedding. (I love Arya's thought, "Where did he get an axe?") I think I remember reading at one point that Gregor is bigger and stronger, but Sandor is [i]quicker[/i]. Which is good against a freaking [i]hammer[/i]. (Totally unfair.)

But all this is a moot point when you invoke [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool"]the Rule of Cool[/url]. He is just plain awesome and everyone wants him to win. :lol: Robert would give him a run for his money, so it's good at least couple votes went that way...

[quote name='Maester Yobjascz' post='1381536' date='Jun 3 2008, 17.27']Eddard was in the contest. Check the first page. He had the bad luck of being pitted against Andrik the Unsmiling in the first round, and was defeated.[/quote]

Ok, i see it. I was looking in the North League.

North - Round III
[b](1) Barristan "The Bold" Selmy[/b] Vs (4) Gerold Hightower
(3) The Smiling Knight Vs [b](2) Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane [/b]

No upsets in the North Region as I think Selmy and Gregor ease their way into what will probably be the best match of the entire tournament.

South - Round III
(1) Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning" Vs [b](5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper" [/b]
[b](6) Garlan Tyrell[/b] Vs (2) Serwyn of the Mirrorshield

The South, now this is where I'm taking quite a reach, I know Dayne is revered as the best, but with this, unlike in his fight against Gregor the Red Viper will be more cautious and wittle his opponent little by little from a distance methodically instead of trying to prove something, remember he used a poison against Gregor to extend pain and suffering. Are there none that would cause nigh instant paralysis or death that he has knowledge of? All it takes to lose to the Viper is really taking any damage, and I think he has the skill and luck to score that one hit. This could also be another double KO ala Tyrions trial.

West - Round III
[b](1) Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister[/b] Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy
[b](3) Daemon Blackfyre[/b] Vs (2) Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers

No surprises here, Jaime is too good and assuming they're fighting on solid land Victarion has no real advantage to speak of. DB just keeps proving himself the Warrior.

East - Round III
[b](1) Aemon the Dragonknight[/b] Vs (4) Khal Drogo
[b](3) Robert Baratheon[/b] Vs (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

With the first match-up I honestly think it's a toss up, but due to not wanting to pick another large upset I'm taking the #1 here. The second match, it sure is looking like there is a whole mess of underrating Robert Baratheon going on here. I want to address what Errant Bard said on page 2 about Robert [quote]Quarter finals:
Syrio vs Robert: Syrio wins because he is cooler, and Robert was shown being an overweight drunk, (disregarding the "demon of the trident" robert)[/quote] I was under the impression we were rating this by fighters in their prime? Now call me a nutso, but I think that would mean not only a halt to "disregarding" demon of the trident Robert, but accepting him as the standard. With that said, Robert's motives for winning this would surely be to kill the person who robbed him of his vengeance in this tournament, Gregor Clegane, and as long as he is still standing, Robert loses to no man.

[quote name='Etchedincold12' post='1381941' date='Jun 3 2008, 13.54']The second match, it sure is looking like there is a whole mess of underrating Robert Baratheon going on here. I want to address what Errant Bard said on page 2 about Robert I was under the impression we were rating this by fighters in their prime? Now call me a nutso, but I think that would mean not only a halt to "disregarding" demon of the trident Robert, but accepting him as the standard. With that said, Robert's motives for winning this would surely be to kill the person who robbed him of his vengeance in this tournament, Gregor Clegane, and as long as he is still standing, Robert loses to no man.[/quote]

Interesting that Robert is starting to put up a fight here, I thought we'd see a blowout.
You are exactly right about the fighers in their Prime.

I'm not sure Robert will get past the Dog, but I think he's starting to get a fighting chance.
I'd love to see Robert take on the Mountain. The Ground would Shake this time, unlike when the Mountain was up against the Red Viper.

I think the Final Four will put the winner of the North against the winner of the West, and winners of the South and East against each other.
So I doubt Robert will get past the Sword of the Morning, even if he does beat out Sandor, which is a BIG if.

North - Round III
[b](1) Barristan "The Bold" Selmy [/b]Vs (4) Gerold Hightower
(3) The Smiling Knight Vs [b](2) Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane[/b]

South - Round III
[b](1) Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning" [/b]Vs (5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper"
[b](6) Garlan Tyrell [/b]Vs (2) Serwyn of the Mirrorshield

West - Round III
[b](1) Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister [/b]Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy
[b](3) Daemon Blackfyre Vs[/b] (2) Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers

East - Round III
[b](3) Robert Baratheon Vs[/b] (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

North was relatively easy choice,other three were hard as hell.

I just had a thought.

Once we have a champion, let's pair him up against an Other and see how he fairs.
I'd love to see Dawn clash with an Other Blade, I doubt it would shatter, and we will finally get a chance to see if a Valarian Sword will kill an Other like Obsidian.

Granted I'm assuming he'll win out.
Are there any other V.Blades left in the tourney?

Can we say Jaime is wielding Oathkeeper, or was Brienne using it in this tournament?

[quote name='DocBean' post='1382041' date='Jun 3 2008, 11.50']I just had a thought.

Once we have a champion, let's pair him up against an Other and see how he fairs.
I'd love to see Dawn clash with an Other Blade, I doubt it would shatter, and we will finally get a chance to see if a Valarian Sword will kill an Other like Obsidian.

Granted I'm assuming he'll win out.
Are there any other V.Blades left in the tourney?

Can we say Jaime is wielding Oathkeeper, or was Brienne using it in this tournament?[/quote]

Didn't Jaime never wield Oathkeeper in his prime? Also I'm sure we'd have to regard Brienne as prime with Oathkeeper, even though she only had one fight of real consequence with the blade.

Er, hope I got my picks in on time...

North - Round III
([b]1) Barristan "The Bold" Selmy[/b] Vs (4) Gerold Hightower
(3) The Smiling Knight Vs [b](2) Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane[/b]

South - Round III
[b](1) Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning"[/b] Vs (5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper"
[b](6) Garlan Tyrell[/b] Vs (2) Serwyn of the Mirrorshield

West - Round III
[b](1) Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister[/b] Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy

East - Round III
(1) Aemon the Dragonknight Vs [b](4) Khal Drogo [/b]
(3) Robert Baratheon Vs [b](2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane[/b]

ETA:

Dawn is not Valyrian steel, it's more unique than that, being forged from a meteorite (or some similar celestial object that fell to the ground).

Aemon the Dragonknight would wield Dark Sister and Daemon would wield Blackfyre. IIRC Bittersteel had Blackfyre in his possession when he went into exile, but I'm not sure if we'd count that as a weapon he'd have used during his "prime." Jaime should not be wielding Oathkeeper IMO, as he's never actually used it.

Victarion with an axe, Oberyn a spear, Robert with his hammer, Drogo with an arakh are the other unique weapon users, and Gregor wielding his greatsword one-handed, though certainly we've seen evidence that the best fighters are competent with several types of arms (Loras uses a hammer in the melee at Ashford, Selmy is pretty ace with a quarterstaff, Sandor uses an axe at the Twins, etc.)

[quote name='King Bronn' post='1381855' date='Jun 3 2008, 14.10']Not only is the Hound big and strong, he's also a skilled fighter. I like to cite the description of his joust with Jaime for that. (I know this isn't jousting, but still, it shows he's got strategy.) Plus he fought the mob on his own, and he was razing people in the Battle of Blackwater, according to Davos's description. And he took down a bunch of guys at the Red Wedding. (I love Arya's thought, "Where did he get an axe?") I think I remember reading at one point that Gregor is bigger and stronger, but Sandor is [i]quicker[/i]. Which is good against a freaking [i]hammer[/i]. (Totally unfair.)

But all this is a moot point when you invoke [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool"]the Rule of Cool[/url]. He is just plain awesome and everyone wants him to win. :lol: Robert would give him a run for his money, so it's good at least couple votes went that way...[/quote]

Plus does everyone forget about in AGOT when the hound stood up against Gregor during the tourney of the hand. When the Mountain tried to kill Loras for being unhorsed.

[quote name='DocBean' post='1381822' date='Jun 3 2008, 11.48'][b](3) Robert Baratheon [/b]Vs (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane - I thought long and hard about this one, but I don't think people give Robert enough credit. the hound is intimidating, but who has he really beaten?
Remember Robert used a Warhammer so big that most men, including Ned, couldn't barely lift it.[/quote]

Who has he ever really beaten? Ummm...only every single person at the Houn-I mean Hand's-Tourney. Including his mammoth of a brother in hand to hand combat and kept him at bay EASILY. End of story, the Hound wins. Haha.

[quote name='DocBean' post='1381783' date='Jun 3 2008, 09.24'][b]HERE WE GO. ROUND III BEGINS
SWEET 16[/b]
Some matchups to watch:
The Sword of the Morning will face his toughest challenger yet in the "Red Viper"
Daemon Blackfyre will try to prove that he deserved the number 2 ranking as he takes on "Bittersteel"
but the match to really keep your eye on is Robert Baratheon vs The Hound.
The Hound is big, tall, and fast with a long reach and great skill with a blade, but Robert is Bigger and it's been said that no man can withstand him when he dons his armor.[/quote]

Interupting with a slight nitpicky detail, actually Sandor is bigger than Robert was. At least they have the same body type (at least when Robert was young) that gets that muscled like a bull/ox description and Sandor is a bit taller. Reference is here:

[url="http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Brienne_of_Tarth/"]http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Brienne_of_Tarth/[/url]

This actually is one of the most interesting match ups.

Pardon interuption.

North - Round III
(1) Barristan "The Bold" Selmy Vs [b](4) Gerold Hightower[/b]
The Bull was lord commander over Selmy in his prime.
[b](3) The Smiling Knight[/b] Vs (2) Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane
Goin for speed flash n skill over the mountain

South - Round III
[b](1) Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning"[/b] Vs (5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper"
(6) Garlan Tyrell Vs (2) Serwyn of the Mirrorshield

West - Round III
([b]1) Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister[/b] Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy

East - Round III
[b](3) Robert Baratheon[/b] Vs (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

Daemon Blackfyre is still the sollest guy running

[quote name='Tyrion Stark' post='1382346' date='Jun 3 2008, 16.58']Plus does everyone forget about in AGOT when the hound stood up against Gregor during the tourney of the hand. When the Mountain tried to kill Loras for being unhorsed.[/quote]
[quote name='Sandor's_Mandy1' post='1382600' date='Jun 3 2008, 19.50']Who has he ever really beaten? Ummm...only every single person at the Houn-I mean Hand's-Tourney. Including his mammoth of a brother in hand to hand combat and kept him at bay EASILY. End of story, the Hound wins. Haha.[/quote]
Yes yes yes... also, we haven't yet mentioned his duel with Beric. He won that fight when he was ON FIRE, which is bad enough for anyone, let alone someone with a crippling fear of being burned.

What's that you say? We're getting off topic? We'll have to start a new thread, "Discussion of Sandor Clegane's ability to kick people's asses." Oh yeah. :D

[quote name='Ball' post='1382635' date='Jun 3 2008, 23.24']The Bull was lord commander over Selmy in his prime.[/quote]

While true, I don't think there's much evidence to support the idea that the Lord Commander of the KG is always the best fighter in the King's Guard, or that LC's get demoted when they're passed by a more martially-capable KG member. Arthur Dayne was arguably a better fighter than Gerold Hightower during Aery's reign, and Jaime arguably better than Selmy in Robert's time, and of course every KG member would likely kill one-handed Jaime at present. Loyalty and years of service, political handouts, personal favors/handouts, as well as possibly leadership ability among other things have very likely figured into the selection of a LC in the past.

That said, the White Bull is an oft-overlooked fighter in these type of discussions in my opinion, and certainly worthy of being in this company.

[quote name='Ender' post='1382715' date='Jun 4 2008, 00.32']While true, I don't think there's much evidence to support the idea that the Lord Commander of the KG is always the best fighter in the King's Guard, or that LC's get demoted when they're passed by a more martially-capable KG member. Arthur Dayne was arguably a better fighter than Gerold Hightower during Aery's reign, and Jaime arguably better than Selmy in Robert's time, and of course every KG member would likely kill one-handed Jaime at present. Loyalty and years of service, political handouts, personal favors/handouts, as well as possibly leadership ability among other things have very likely figured into the selection of a LC in the past.

That said, the White Bull is an oft-overlooked fighter in these type of discussions in my opinion, and certainly worthy of being in this company.[/quote]

Before BB (the Blonde Bitch) named Jamie LC of the Kingsguard remember that Lord Commander was chosen by his brethren. They would probably would chose the best mix of command and skill IMO.

[quote name='King Bronn' post='1382655' date='Jun 3 2008, 22.41']Yes yes yes... also, we haven't yet mentioned his duel with Beric. He won that fight when he was ON FIRE, which is bad enough for anyone, let alone someone with a crippling fear of being burned.

What's that you say? We're getting off topic? We'll have to start a new thread, "Discussion of Sandor Clegane's ability to kick people's asses." Oh yeah. :D[/quote]

That duel with Beric is a good point. However, if you recall Beric all but won that fight when his sword snapped. Probably because it was lit up with wildfire and week from the burning.
Thoros used to use that trick, and it's never really been explained how Beric pulled it off.

However, in this tournament Beric didn't even make it past the first round, so to say Clegane is better because he fought well against Beric doesn't really mean he's good enough to win it all.

There is no doubt he belongs where he is, and possibly one of the 5 best fighters in all of Westeros, Ned and others have all pointed out that Sandor is Freaky good.
However, it all comes down to matchups in the tourney, and in this instance I look at the two and think Sandor's strength and size doesn't help him against someone that's bigger. His quickness would.
I just believe that Robert is better one on one in this type of fight.

Sandor is better then his brother. But Gregor would have lost to the Red Viper if the Red Viper wasn't trying to pull an admission out of him. Gregor isn't unbeatable, he's just freaky big.
Sandor is beatable as we've seen against Beric, Robert is beatable if he's drugged and drunk against a giant boar. Bottom line is it would be one hell of a fight.

[quote name='Ender' post='1382313' date='Jun 3 2008, 18.36']Dawn is not Valyrian steel, it's more unique than that, being forged from a meteorite (or some similar celestial object that fell to the ground).

Aemon the Dragonknight would wield Dark Sister and Daemon would wield Blackfyre. IIRC Bittersteel had Blackfyre in his possession when he went into exile, but I'm not sure if we'd count that as a weapon he'd have used during his "prime." Jaime should not be wielding Oathkeeper IMO, as he's never actually used it.

Victarion with an axe, Oberyn a spear, Robert with his hammer, Drogo with an arakh are the other unique weapon users, and Gregor wielding his greatsword one-handed, though certainly we've seen evidence that the best fighters are competent with several types of arms (Loras uses a hammer in the melee at Ashford, Selmy is pretty ace with a quarterstaff, Sandor uses an axe at the Twins, etc.)[/quote]

That's right, I forgot about Dawn.
Hmm, that's interesting that a sword like that is floating around with the Others as active as they are.
I wonder if it will come into play and have any effect.

I have a feeling that Dragonglass isn't the only thing that will work against the Others.
I'm hoping we see Dawn come into play in this series, and I'm hoping that we see Valyrian Steel (most likely LongClaw) melt thru some Others.

My votes:
[quote name='DocBean' post='1381783' date='Jun 3 2008, 10.24'][b]HERE WE GO. ROUND III BEGINS
SWEET 16[/b]

[b]North - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Barristan "The Bold" Selmy[/b] Vs (4) Gerold Hightower - In the battle of the Lord Commanders, Selmy has the edge
(3) The Smiling Knight Vs (2) [b]Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane[/b] - Close fight, but the Mountain's size and strength puts him ahead

[b]South - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning"[/b] Vs (5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper" - Dayne avoids the poison spear and closes in
(6) Garlan Tyrell Vs (2) [b]Serwyn of the Mirrorshield[/b] - Mythos over reputation

[b]West - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister [/b]Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy - Not particularly close
(3) [b]Daemon Blackfyre[/b] Vs (2) Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers - There's a reason Daemon had command...

[b]East - Round III[/b]
(1) Aemon the Dragonknight Vs (4) [b]Khal Drogo[/b] - Aemon was known more for his relationship with Queen Naerys than his skill
(3) [b]Robert Baratheon [/b]Vs (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane - *close* fight, but Robert sees the opportunity to maybe fight another Targaryen if he beats Sandor

[b]================================================================================
VOTING LINE FOR COUNTING PURPOSES - BEGIN VOTING FOR ROUND III NOW!
================================================================================[/b][/quote]

My wife's votes:
[quote name='DocBean' post='1381783' date='Jun 3 2008, 10.24'][b]HERE WE GO. ROUND III BEGINS
SWEET 16[/b]
Some matchups to watch:

[b]North - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Barristan "The Bold" Selmy[/b] Vs (4) Gerold Hightower
(3) The Smiling Knight Vs (2) [b]Gregor "Mountain that Rides" Clegane [/b]

[b]South - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Arthur Dayne "Sword of the Morning"[/b] Vs (5) Oberyn Martell "Red Viper"
(6) Garlan Tyrell Vs (2) [b]Serwyn of the Mirrorshield [/b]

[b]West - Round III[/b]
(1) [b]Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister[/b] Vs (5) Victarion Greyjoy
(3) Daemon Blackfyre Vs (2) [b]Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers [/b]

[b]East - Round III[/b]
(1) Aemon the Dragonknight Vs (4) [b]Khal Drogo [/b]
(3) [b]Robert Baratheon[/b] Vs (2) Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

[b]================================================================================
VOTING LINE FOR COUNTING PURPOSES - BEGIN VOTING FOR ROUND III NOW!
================================================================================[/b][/quote]

Archived