R. Scott Bakker

TerraPrime

Anarchy might be an apt word for it, Jay.

Because after all, when readers might encounter things such as:

SPOILER: TTT
Cnaiür screwing the pooch
, or perhaps when
Conphas leading a reenactment of the Charge of the Light Bridge
, or when
Akka goes ape-shit, blows shit up
, readers might either be cheering every step of the way, or they'll be cussing Scott out nine ways to Sunday for not including the action they wanted to see or having events unfold the way they expected. Should be fun to witness, though!

* Note: Not all of those 'spoilered' bits were actual plot events. But some were close ;)

Dylan,

BTW, I got the reply I was looking for, apparently some of the revisions I heard about were of little consequence and reported overstated to me (or I misinterpited) so I'm going to start my review of The Thousandfold Thought, to be out in the next few days.

The more I have pondered the book it really does make a hell of a lot of sense.

Ah, I was wondering about that the other day. As for the book making sense, it has grown on me more over the past couple of months. Don't have my copy on hand, as I've lent it to a friend/fellow reviewer, but outside that one bit at the very beginning of the last chapter (vagueness about how that one character managed to travel to where he did), I thought the conclusion was a powerful one.

But it'll likely cause some to protest mightily - which might be a good thing, after all.

Publisher's Weekly has reviewed TTT as well:

In the shattering climax to Canadian author Bakker's magnificent fantasy saga (after 2005's The Warrior-Prophet), the Holy War army has finally reached the gates of the holy city of Shimeh. The warrior-prophet, Anasûrimbor Kellhus, learns that the Thousandfold Thought, a great "transition rule" that promises to transform the two warring faiths of Inrithism and Fanimry, offers the only way to bring peace to the world of Eärwa and avoid a Second Apocalypse. Amid all the bloodshed and battle, Kellhus continues to respect his friend, the sorcerer Drusas Achamian, despite the conflict that arises when Kellhus takes "the whore Esmenet," hitherto Achamian's woman, as his consort. Esmenet's wavering love between the two men lends poignancy and personal depth to an epic story notable for its lack of melodrama. A large and varied supporting cast of heroes and scoundrels add further emotional realism. The Prince of Nothing trilogy is a work of unforgettable power"

Ok. Confession time. You may all ridicule me.

I was lurking a bit on the Three Seas Forum and stumbled onto something that should have been as obvious as Pretty Pia. Gods I'm stupid.

SPOILER: Speculation about TDtCB, WP
Moënghus and Cnaiür were lovers.

I read the first two volumes twice, and never realised it. But now I'm convinced it is true. That's why Serwë is Cnaiür's proof. (::smacks forehead::)

I write this messages just to get it out of my system. Please laugh at me, point fingers, ridicule. My name is I.M. Blind, I live at Stupidstreet 1, Oblivion. Harry Potter it too subtle for me.

You didn't realise that? Despite all the Utemot calling him a faggot?

Nope. I just assumed they misinterpreted his obvious devastation at Moënghus' departure. He could have been crying. Since he is crying over the departure of another man, the Utemot call him "faggot weeper".

See, I never doubted that Cnaiür loved Moënghus, in a British boarding school kind of way. Such feelings for another man would be unacceptable in Utemot society. So they call him a faggot, much like we would call Dick "Robin" Grayson one, or Samwise Gamgee.

The obvious interpretation, that Cnaiür shares more than martial prowess with Loras Tyrell, did elude me.

See, I never doubted that Cnaiür loved Moënghus, in a British boarding school kind of way. Such feelings for another man would be unacceptable in Utemot society. So they call him a faggot, much like we would call Dick "Robin" Grayson one, or Samwise Gamgee.

That was my interpretation too, though I never ruled the other out. I hope TTT doesn't provide a definite answer. I think the story and character better for the ambiguity.

Question for you guys who've met Bakker: How does he pronounce his name? Bay-ker, like the televangelist, or Bah-ker, as a family I knew growing up did? Been wondering that since the day I first heard of PON.

You're welcome :D

And yes, TTT is good stuff indeed, although some will be surprised by the ending. Made sense in hindsight, but at the time...well...just to piss some off, Read and Find Out :P

You're welcome :D

And yes, TTT is good stuff indeed, although some will be surprised by the ending. Made sense in hindsight, but at the time...well...just to piss some off, Read and Find Out :P

Ah the infamous RAFO.

Fucking Robert Jordan...

*Is eagerly awaiting TTT*

I loved TTT.

There were a few things that were at least mildly disappointing to me, but there were far more that were some mix of shocking, thrilling, and thought-provoking.

I liked the ending and thought it satisfying, considering the existence of forthcoming series.

I'm curious now, Rhaco, considering that you've read it:

What did you think of

that concluding chapter with Cnaiür and Moënghus? I suspect there might be a few who will be 'disappointed' (to say the least) that Cnaiür and Moënghus did have a full-out homosexual relationship in the past and that apparently it was more than just physical. But I think there's more to it than just that. I think there's a connection between Cnaiür and Homer's Achilles in the way that the ideals of 'masculinity' are at question here - how the reader reacts to that should be telling about our society. Or at least that's what I suspect Bakker would say, having spoken with him on related topics before. And I wonder how many are going to read this spoiler? ;)

Dylan,

Surprisingly, considering what I said in post #89 above, I liked it. It worked for the character and for me at that point, I think. That scene was actually kinda touching, in a crazed sort of way. Questioning the ideals of masculinity? Wouldn't surprise me, though Cnaiur's insanity and lover twist that questioning a bit, I think.

Archived