True Blood

Brandon Stark

[quote]Who killed Laura Palmer? That definitely worked pretty well over a full season of Twin Peaks. Glad I was right about that accent. [u][b]From what I've read, in the books Rene/Drew actually had an incestuous relationship with his sister, but they seem to have dropped that; not a bad [/b][/u]idea.[/quote]

Ran, would you also think it a good idea if they dropped the incest from ASOIF? :P

[quote name='Cold Hands-Hot Pie' post='1609171' date='Dec 4 2008, 13.44']Ran, would you also think it a good idea if they dropped the incest from ASOIF? :P[/quote]

[b][u]Rene/Drew had an incestuous relationship I thought this was clearly implied I didn't read the books and clearly got that impression[/u][/b]

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3] [/size][/font]

Cold Hand,

I'll treat that as a serious question, and say that Rene and his sister having an incestuous relationship would just be a rather lame way to make him even worse. The show doesn't turn on his sexual relationship with his sister, and so just tossing it out there in the TV show doesn't strike me as doing anything worthwhile for the plot.

Whereas, of course, most of the plot of AGoT is driven by the Lannister incest. Quite a large difference.

ogbebaba,

Well, I guess mileage varies. I kept my ears open for it, and didn't hear anything that made it sound like that.

[quote name='Aratan' post='1605858' date='Dec 2 2008, 06.49']IMHO the two strongest candidates for the person in the back of Andy's car are Tara's mother or the scam artist who 'exorcised' the demons. Note - a slumping leg doesn't necessarily mean that its owner is dead. BUt no clue why they would be stashed in the back of his car.[/quote]

There was a scene in an earlier episode where Lafayette was painting his toenails the same or similar color as the toenails of the person in the car. Lafayette just fits as the person there.

I am sure that's what they want us to think, as it's the season finale cliff-hanger. I'll bet it ends up being Tara's mom.

I've just started reading the books myself. There is a lot there which isn't translated well in the series. For example, I'm finding I like Sookie better in the books, which in turn makes me like the character in the series better because I understand more. Sookie isn't as simple and nieve as the series makes her out. I love how she sees herself as 'disabled' in the books.

I'm only halfway through the first book, but I like it enough so far not only to finish it but to read the others already.

The first time I watched this was just picking up a piece of Episode 6 or 7, and I thought it was kind of strange (it was the exorcism of Tara's mom episode, right at the time the possum kicked it), but out of boredom, I started watching the first episode on OnDemand a couple weeks later and liked it so much I kept going.

To kill some downtime until next season, I have now read the first two and half of the third book. Without getting into spoilers, just to address the comments above, from what I recall, it was not so much that Rene had an (ongoing) incestuous relationship with his sister - there was just a one-time mention after it was determined he was the murderer that he evidently had sex with her after he killed her, which appears to have been a trend with other victims as well :o

I won't give away who the dead person was, but I will say that the first season ended pretty much with the first book, so that lays out eight (so far) potential seasons if they stick with the book format.

I'm also hoping they stay inline with the books, as Eric seems to get a bigger role, and I'm a fan of Alexander Skarsgard (although my suggestion of him as Jaime in the new ASOIAF pilot will be dashed *sigh*)

Ran, I've always wondered how you stay so up on US shows real time? Good satellite service? :)

• 1 month later...
Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Brandon Stark' post='1509245' date='Sep 8 2008, 07.28']I... and I think the twist of vampires being out in the open and attempting to interact with society should keep things from falling too far down cliche mountain.[/quote]

Kim Harrison - its the plot exactly...witches, vamps, werefolk etc were in hiding for thousands of years until they were forced to come out.

Heh, I can't believe I actually watched a vamp pron book adaptation before I read the books. Harris' books looked idiotic when I read the back cover but I really liked the show, but then I almost always like a series when I watch it all at once. Waiting makes me a bitter hater. :P

Don't have the time to read over this thread. Is this show any good? I fucking hated Twilight, but like what I have heard about this show. How is the acting, characters, and plot? Is there an interesting story arc? Is the show primarily a romance? Is the show cheesy? Is it worth my time? What would you compare it to quality wise?

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1645316' date='Jan 11 2009, 23.21']Don't have the time to read over this thread. Is this show any good? I fucking hated Twilight, but like what I have heard about this show. How is the acting, characters, and plot? Is there an interesting story arc? Is the show primarily a romance? Is the show cheesy? Is it worth my time? What would you compare it to quality wise?[/quote]

The show has some ardent supporters and some detractors. Consensus seems to be that its a decent enough show that's not quite up to HBO's typical standards. The characters didn't start off great, but most have improved. Both they and the show itself seems to be finding its footing, taking a bit longer than some other shows, but bright enough to be optimistic for the next season. I'd say the season was about halfway through before the humor actually started working consistently. Something always felt a bit 'off' about it earlier on. Romance is significantly present, but not to the point of calling the show a romance. There's a wide enough variety of characters that you shouldn't have trouble finding at least one or two that qualify as interesting. Its cheesy at times, but not over the top. Has an annoying habit of social commentary via analogy...an analogy that just doesn't fit. But that gets more muted as the show goes on thankfully.

At this point I'd call it good. Not great. Not very good. More than a few steps above mediocre. Worth watching if only for the fact that there's almost never quality fantasy on television so you may as well support what is there when it doesn't suck and has some talent and resources behind it.

For the record, I fucking hated Twilight too. This definitely isn't Twilight.

I like [u]True Blood[/u] very much. It is funny, sexy, dramatic and entertaining with a hard edge.

While I did/do enjoy [u]Twilight[/u], the two have only a superficial resemblance to one another. Meyers' book and the film are essentially romances, as in romance novel, with a few dashes of the supernatural and an interesting bit of theology tossed into the mix (well, interesting to me).

[u]True Blood[/u] is more realistic/naturalistic fare. Everyone is more complex and quirky. Lots of characters, with a complex interplay. Vampires are exactly as complex (and as dark) as everyone else. The "analogy" people talk about simply is not present. There is a social commentary about tolerance, but it isn't an analogy precisely because it does break down so totally when you try to equate things point by point. Rather, the point is that humans are just as dangerous in their way as vampires--and vampires can be just as virtuous as humans. It is a matter of choice, amid not-easy alternatives and consequences.

Many of the characters and scenes are funny. Some are gut-wrenching. The world of the show makes the logical assumption that if vampires were real, then other things would be real as well. Like (for example) werewolves. The vampires themselves are interesting creatures, with a fair number pretty clearly racist--viewing humans as little more than animals that can't "feel, not the way we do." Others disagree. A fair number of the characters are bigoted in one way or another, most combine wisdom and stupidity in the way real people often do, and a fair number of them are sooner or later hilarious.

[quote name='Zahir al Daoud' post='1645982' date='Jan 12 2009, 12.45']but it isn't an analogy precisely because it does break down so totally when you try to equate things point by point.[/quote]

Yes it does. But the show itself doesn't really acknowledge that. Nor am I sure if the show runners even know that the analogy has collapsed entirely through the course of the show. Every objection to vampires is still based off ignorant bigotry and/or religious zeal, the vampires = gays comparison is still as present, heavy handed and transparent every time they bring the subject up, and there's yet to be an anti-spokesman whose voiced anything approaching rational objections even though there are countless ones to be found even if you have little more than simple suspicion of what the vamps are really up to.

They are still taking the TG approach in their representation of the 'other side of the debate'. It lacks an ounce of realism from a show that is supposed to answer the question of 'What if vampires were real and went public?' Not to mention being quite irritating.

I honestly don't think they mean it as an analogy, not least because of interviews with the producers. Some of the "analogous" stuff (like Vermont allowing Living/Undead marriage, the "God Hates Fangs" slogan, etc.) methinks are intended as [u]jokes[/u]--and to most people come across as exactly that.

Especially since the bigotry clearly comes from both directions.

[quote name='Ran' post='1646824' date='Jan 13 2009, 02.47']Yeah, that's rather overdramatic.[/quote]

Probably overdramatic, but its not like HBO has jack shit going on right now. Big Love is coming back, but it was never a show I was interested in. Its sharing Sunday with flight of the concords, which I like, but it doesn't really justify the subscription fee. And that's about for the near future. Haven't heard about any imminent miniseries and it'll be a year or so before Entourage or True Blood pops back on. If I wasn't such a big fan of Boxing and Bob Costas, I'd probably drop it til something better starts up. To be fair, Showtime's boat is leaking too at the moment. Dexter and Weeds are gone for the time being. We're left with the dreadful Diary of a Callgirl and the 'fast forward to the lesbian sex scenes' L Word.

Neither of them have a show right now that makes it to my Tivo list. I'm stuck watching network TV and even if they had something good, half the shit is on hiatus for yet another week or two.

Ok, I'm done whining. :)

Entourage and True Blood are both slated for 'summer,' premieres, so hopefully they'll start airing episodes early in the season to capitalize on all the network reruns and dead space.

I never dug Big Love until we caught the first few episodes On Demand. My wife made me get both seasons and we watched them over the course of a few nights. It was definitely entertaining once I had a handle on the show beyond its basic premise.

As for True Blood, its pretty much like most people have said: very entertaining, but a different sort of show than most of what HBO is famous for. I didn't think the analogous moments were aimed at making a point so much as a bit of humor, so they didn't bother me. Best of all my wife loved it, so it was a show we could watch together.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Triskele' post='1646795' date='Jan 13 2009, 01.03']My final thoughts now that season 1 are long gone mostly agree with EHK's. It was not perfect. It doesn't match up to HBO's best. But it's entertaining for sure. Especially with OnDemand or Tivo. It's a little raunchy, funny as Hell at times, mysterious...

The characters are all over the place but there is enough intrigue to keep me watching. I thought Sam was the best character in season 1. I am way curious what's up with this rich lady who took Tara in. Someone on this board threw out a very compelling theory (think Greek).

[b]I've said it before but I'll say it again...this show is a keeper for no reason other than its opening song. Best ever.[/b][/quote]

Seconded. Do you know who it is/what its called?

Archived