DC BwB

Guest Raidne

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1590316' date='Nov 15 2008, 18.07']Well, no, I'm not that picky. I'd come down to Columbia or something. Suburbs closer to Baltimore also acceptable. Baltimore itself, sure.[/quote]
there is pretty much nothing in columbia worth coming up from DC for, except maybe dinner at the Mango Grove

[quote name='Inigima' post='1590365' date='Nov 15 2008, 19.32']there is pretty much nothing in columbia worth coming up from DC for, except maybe dinner at the Mango Grove[/quote]

Well, yeah, but it's a good halfway point for the two camps. I would rather avoid Columbia, myself. It gives me the creeps. It's like you know you're out of the Baltimore area as soon as you've hit Columbia... you can feel it in your bones.

We were seated next to some folks in a Columbia restaurant one time who weren't even aware that Baltimore was just up the road. What's that about?

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1590445' date='Nov 15 2008, 22.01']Well, yeah, but it's a good halfway point for the two camps. I would rather avoid Columbia, myself. It gives me the creeps. It's like you know you're out of the Baltimore area as soon as you've hit Columbia... you can feel it in your bones.

We were seated next to some folks in a Columbia restaurant one time who weren't even aware that Baltimore was just up the road. What's that about?[/quote]
You probably know this, but Columbia is a completely planned community. It's like a little insular bubble. Everything in it is designed to be 15 minutes from everything else. You never have to leave, so while it's very weird that they don't know Bmore is so close, it's not really that surprising.

It's not unpleasant, but I'm not a big fan of it -- it's so [i]bland[/i]. The Mango Grove is awesome though.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1590316' date='Nov 15 2008, 18.07']Well, no, I'm not that picky. I'd come down to Columbia or something. Suburbs closer to Baltimore also acceptable. Baltimore itself, sure.

I have no real date preference. I am extremely unlikely to have anything more exciting going on for any given weekend and the occasions where I do it usually springs up at the last minute.[/quote]

Don't know about everybody else, but I'm all hellbent on checking out Baltimore proper 'cause I've never been there. Plus I want to check out the Comedy Factory. So husband and I, at least, are perfectly happy to come all the way up to Baltimore, no problem.

[quote name='Colder Hands' post='1590324' date='Nov 15 2008, 18.15']i missed that action live, so i was grateful there was a pic to capture the moment[/quote]

I didn't catch that at the time either! Thanks for sharing.

[quote name='Brady' post='1590363' date='Nov 15 2008, 19.29']Also, S John's eyes - red eye camera mishap, or inherent sign of devil-blood? The 9SCK are strong indeed.[/quote]

Nobody wants to be on the wrong side of a guy with one red eye.

Baltimore is just an awesome place.
Why, just the other day someone got on the MARC train with an AK-47, headed down to DC. The cops chased him through a couple of train cars and hit him with a taser a few times until he eventually went down. An unlicensed taxi driver took him to the station, but the driver at least had the sense to call the cops after dropping him off...
But you know, that's over on the west side. Not where we'll take you out of towners :)

Yeah, I'm glad I take the Camden Line to work. We don't get that kind of drama on my train. Apparently that's reserved for the Penn line. I was taking it home the other day (I'd been in DC for a conference and had missed my normal train home) and some people on the train were talking about it. I only saw a tiny piece about it in the paper. I would have thought it would get more coverage.
I mean, even for Baltimore, AK-47s, on the train at 7:15 on a Wednesday morning? That's pretty hardcore.

[quote name='Elrostar' post='1596822' date='Nov 21 2008, 16.33']But you know, that's over on the west side. Not where we'll take you out of towners :)[/quote]

Not sure if that's where we were, but the one time I've been to Baltimore proper was for a landscape conference several years ago. The outdoor equipment expo part of it was held at a huge park that looked like it would have been nice maybe 50 years ago. It's the only time I recall going to an equipment expo and seeing it completely surrounded by police cars. I remember the bus from the hotel to the park going through Scary Areas too.

Anyhow, I may try to make it to this one. Any suggestions on how someone would go about getting from here (Northern VA) to there if one didn't want to drive? :)

[quote name='Angie' post='1597040' date='Nov 21 2008, 19.29']Not sure if that's where we were, but the one time I've been to Baltimore proper was for a landscape conference several years ago. The outdoor equipment expo part of it was held at a huge park that looked like it would have been nice maybe 50 years ago. It's the only time I recall going to an equipment expo and seeing it completely surrounded by police cars. I remember the bus from the hotel to the park going through Scary Areas too.

Anyhow, I may try to make it to this one. Any suggestions on how someone would go about getting from here (Northern VA) to there if one didn't want to drive? :)[/quote]
This will probably be a weekend, which means MARC trains don't run, because Baltimore is stupid. If you can get to BWI, I believe there's a Light Rail station there. The Light Rail works pretty well, although it's not real fast; unfortunately, it stops running at like 11:00, which makes no sense. Are you planning to spend the night in Bmore?

[quote name='Inigima' post='1597178' date='Nov 22 2008, 00.23']Are you planning to spend the night in Bmore?[/quote]

Hadn't thought about it, but I'd consider it. I can wait to see what sort of plans are shaping up. :)

[quote name='S John' post='1591261' date='Nov 16 2008, 22.03']Nobody wants to be on the wrong side of a guy with one red eye.[/quote]
Ok, sorry about that...I have a problem with attention to detail. I fixed it so you don't look scary anymore.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1598431' date='Nov 23 2008, 20.29']Ok, sorry about that...I have a problem with attention to detail. I fixed it so you don't look scary anymore.[/quote]

Hey, no worries. It was probably keeping internet stalkers (like Brady) at bay.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived