George RR martin faults...

Devil Hanzo

This man is without a doubt my most favriote author.

That said, i do believe he has some imperfections.

He...to a lesser degree has a fault stephen king has with some of his novels(see eyes of the dragon and see IT. In eyes of the dragon the prince Peter is almost perfect, and in IT there is a long description of Bill being pure and having an aura of goodness)

He usually has one or two charecters who are perfect in every way.

Lyanna: From what we know, she was good hearted but was fierce, was tough but also really sexy, and fell in love and bagged the most handsome man in the kingdom. Give us some dirt man! I love Tyroin because he is clean AND dirty!

Rheager: SO FAR we get an image of a sad sad guy who is just has it hard. He is often shown as super handsome and super kind and a top rate fighter. Got to admit, i kind of like him :rofl: but...he seems too flawless.

Dany:uh...read the 'hate to the targs' thread in the other section.

Jon:Toooo lazy to explain.

This is by no means makes him a bad writer, it isnt even a big deal. I like some of these guys, and sometimes, it helps the story move smoothly.

He is my favriote author, so dont flame me thinking im trying to be an ass.

What have you guys noticed?

Not nearly enough talking animals. There's Mormont's Raven and the three-eyed crow...(I feel like I'm missing some), but would it kill him to put in a direwolf who solves mysteries? Or some kind of riddling manatee?

I think Dany can be a little annoying. She needs to be brought low before I can really root for her (and I think she's going to but that's all spoilery speculation). I'm hoping the weirdness about Lyanna and Rhaeger will be explained in later books.

would it kill him to put in a direwolf who solves mysteries?

Maybe Nymeria gets pregnant and her pup is called Matlock?

I don't think he has any flaws per se. He has a very comprehensive set of skills.

If there's one thing I don't like about the books, it's that the often unrelenting (and emotionally wrenching) bad stuff that happens to our heroes can be a bit draining. In Westeros the tables seem tipped in favor of unhappy endings for people, which gives me a feeling of the story being unbalanced. It's not necessarily bad writing though. I don't know what it is.

The books are long. I mean toooo long. That's really the problem. He should have inserted commercial breaks. How's a guy supposed to dash off to make a sandwich. Or take a leak. Damn GRRM and his long books. ;)

That said, i do believe he has some imperfections.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

Just kidding.

Ummm, I suppose Martin must have SOME imperfection somewhere or other. I guess I'll agree with Strangerface that its the fact that Dany has not yet been humbled. Most other POV characters (at least the ones I root for) have been humbled someway or other (Jon is a bastard, which tends to make you pretty humble, Tyrion is a dwarf, Arya is a tomboy, Sansa's dreams of life as a princess with a knight in shining armor were dashed, Catelyn's son is killed and she is killed shortly afterward, Jaime loses his swordhand, etc.) I think Dany needs to be humbled before I can root for her as well. Just my two cents.

Other than that...hmm, well if Gendry ends up as an obscure blacksmith married to that Willow girl, that's a damn imperfection in my book.

But these aren't really imperfections, just the hopes of a rabid fan. So I guess Mr. Martin really is pretty damn perfect.

You want her more humbled? Her childhood was torn away from her (the loss of the house with the 'red door' in Braavos, being sold into marriage with Khal Drogo), then her brother was killed, then her husband was killed, then her child was killed, then she had to take responsibility for dozens of people and lead them across a frigging desert (a lot of them died along the way), then when she reached apparent safety suddenly lots of people wanted to kill and/or marry her in Qarth, then she is betrayed by her closest friend in Meereen, then she is inadvertantly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent slaves...

Yeah, she's had it easy :)

You want her more humbled? Her childhood was torn away from her (the loss of the house with the 'red door' in Braavos, being sold into marriage with Khal Drogo), then her brother was killed, then her husband was killed, then her child was killed, then she had to take responsibility for dozens of people and lead them across a frigging desert (a lot of them died along the way), then when she reached apparent safety suddenly lots of people wanted to kill and/or marry her in Qarth, then she is betrayed by her closest friend in Meereen, then she is inadvertantly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocent slaves...

Wow Werthead...I guess you're right...

Probably why i shouldn't try to rationalize my dislike of Dany...sometimes you just don't like certain people :)

I don't like Dany because she pays with her dragon for those unsullied, and then she regrets, and makes the dragon kill the ones she paid to, and takes the dragon back. And keeps the unsullied.

I mean, don't the unsullied have the ability to see that when someone pays for you, and then takes the payment back, you really do not belong to her.

Sorry, OT. Can't find anything specific in is writing which I do not like. A good book provokes emotion. I'd rather read about characters I hate, than about characters that I do not care wether lives a happy life or not.

Guest Other-in-law

I have a pretty mild criticism; which is that he overuses new background tidbits too much in the new books. I didn't notice anything along those lines in the first two, but in aSoS we hear the song the Bear and the Maiden Fair...which is all fine and good....but then we keep hearing it over and over again. If the song is so omnipresent in Westeros why didn't we ever hear it in the first two books? Well, Martin hadn't written it back then, but that's not the problem, the overuse in aSoS is. OK, it's not a big problem or anything, but it makes the continuity flow seem choppy to me.

One of the examples from aFfC would be "half a groat". We've never encountered the phrase before in the series and then it doesn't get quietly and smoothly slipped into the Westerosi lexicon, instead we get a barrage of it. Now, maybe this can be explained away as a quirk of Cersei's....she's the one saying it most often and we didn't have her POV before. But we've heard plenty of her from other POVs and she never spoke of groats back then....

Partly this is a problem with serial publishing. If Martin had the luxury of writing the entire series before releasing any of it as Tolkien did, he would be able to integrate new ideas back into the earlier parts. But it's not working that way (happily, because this way I've gotten to read 4 of the books by now), so it would have been nicer, imo, if he was more sparing with the new vocabulary.

I didn't mean to suggest she had an easy life. But since her dragons have been born, her journey has had a very different feel from the rest of the books. Her war hasn't been the gritty, loss filled one that all the other characters have experienced.

Shrug.

I did notice a preponderance of talk about maidenhoods in the last book or two. Not a flaw, but it did start to seem like everyone and their mother were obsessed with maidenhoods.

They're only human. :cool:

Archived