Finncon 2009

Sini

Hi. On behalf of the people organising Finncon, I wish to welcome you to Helsinki on 10th to 12th of July 2009. As many already know, GRRM is (one of) our Guest of Honour(s).

We would like to know what YOU want from our con. What kind of programme do you want to see? If you already know you're coming, can we help you with something? This is the thread.

[url="http://2009.finncon.org/en/"]Finncon 2009 homepage[/url].

As our page is yet quite unfinished but if you want to know more about what Finncon is and what has been done, check out [url="http://2008.finncon.org/en/index.htm"]Finncon 2008 page[/url]. One thing I'm sure of - there will be a lot of :cheers:

Welcome to the board Sini. :)

Next summer still to far away for concrete plans but I have been thinking about going to Finncon, as you said GRRM will be there and Alastair Reynolds is currently my favourite SF author.

Is it true that there are lots of girls in sexy costumes at Finncons? At a panel at the Worldcon someone suggested that. :leer: ;)

Welcome, Sini! Thanks for posting. Linda and I live in Sweden, and are very likely to go to Finncon. :) As far as programming goes, I'd certainly like to see George involved in panels discussing thematic aspects of epic fantasy and genre literature in general -- the "Hero's Journey", that sort of thing. Also, any sort of panels addressing the changing faces of the fantasy and SF genres, new developments and new approaches, that sort of thing.

What sort of tournament is the Robert Jordan Memorial Tournament? Heh.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your ideas, Ran! At the moment, I don't think anyone (with the possible exception of JukkaHoo) yet knows what the Robert Jordan Memorial Tournament will be. But here you can see [url="http://rautaa-ruostetta.blogspot.com/2008/07/maailman-kahdeksas-ihme-jordan-ltk.html"]pics [/url]from Jordan Hockey in Tampere this year. There was also Jordan Curling in some previous Finncon.

Putin's..., I'm not good at judging girls' sexiness, but you could try searching Flickr with tags finncon08 or animecon08 to see pics from this year's con. I think animecon would yield more hits though... Science fiction fandom tends to dress in black.

[quote name='Sini' post='1540403' date='Oct 2 2008, 20.42']Putin's..., I'm not good at judging girls' sexiness, but you could try searching Flickr with tags finncon08 or animecon08 to see pics from this year's con. I think animecon would yield more hits though... Science fiction fandom tends to dress in black.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, it seems the people at the panel told the truth. :D

I will definitely think about it.
I am from Denmark so it is not that long a journey.
And the nice people from Finncon did give away free booze at the last Eurocon.
Good bless there hearths.
As I have said before. Free booze AND George attending are good marketing tools.

And there will be sexy furries as well, according to Putins left nipple!!

As long as you have George participate in any kind of event that will allow us to admire his wit, I am satisfied, be it panels, workshops, competitions, a chesstournament or anything you crazy finnish brains can think up.

A reading would be cool to.
Or a Dance release party. Crosses fingers..... please arrange it Sini. I know your up to it

[quote name='Vrana' post='1542830' date='Oct 5 2008, 00.29']I'm from sweden as well, so I'll def, try to be there. Since the con seems to be free, do you just show up? Or do you register somewhere?[/quote]

Vrana, you just show up. Welcome!

Thank you for your ideas. Maester Joergensen, I'll do my best :)

Yes, this is the 15th Finncon (7th Animecon). First Finncon was held in 1986.

There is also Ropecon, which is concentrated on roleplaying. I don't know much about that, I'm sorry to say...

• 1 month later...
Hi Sini and everyone! I'm a long-time lurker here.

[quote name='Ran' post='1528188' date='Sep 23 2008, 14.40']Welcome, Sini! Thanks for posting. Linda and I live in Sweden, and are very likely to go to Finncon. :) As far as programming goes, I'd certainly like to see George involved in panels discussing thematic aspects of epic fantasy and genre literature in general -- the "Hero's Journey", that sort of thing. Also, any sort of panels addressing the changing faces of the fantasy and SF genres, new developments and new approaches, that sort of thing.[/quote]

Yes, I think a "Hero's Journey" panel is a must, since "Journey" is the general theme of the con. (I'm surprised that this didn't come up in the program meeting we just had.)

Ran, would you perhaps be interested in being one of the panelists? :)

I'd also like a panel about new developments in SF... What's new in science fiction right now, and speculation about where it might be headed in the near future.

If I do have the money, and it won't crash with other vacationplans (possibly NY, or Roskildefestival in Denmark or Hovefestival in Norway in case you are interested:P) I would defintedly love to go. I am from Norway and I have been living in a ASOIAF vacuum these last years. No one I know have read the books. Think I may persuade one friend soon, but he still have to reread WoT, and he isn't exactly Rodrik The Reader.

So, it would be great to meet other fans, even though I feel like an amateur in these circles with only two reads and not knowing the Targ family tree by heart. Still, will probably be amazing.

Archived