Accents

Falstaff

[quote name='Morrigan' post='1588197' date='Nov 13 2008, 17.30']I absolutely do not want to hear any North American accent. I don't know why, but characters in a medieval-like settings speaking American just doesn't work. British, Irish, Scottish, Aussie, or "foreign" European accents such as Swedish, Russian, or even Spanish or hell, French, fine by me... but no Yankees or Canucks, please!

/is Canadian, for the record[/quote]
:agree:

Reading this topic made me laugh. Do you realise how lucky you all are, to be able to listen the voice of the actual body actor on TV? As a spaniard, I don´t get to complain about accents. I get to listen to translations. And believe me, more than half magic is gone. :angry:

Spoiled brats... Accents... Really... :tantrum:

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1589950' date='Nov 15 2008, 08.06']Morrigan, Aussies aren't European, they're...Australian.[/quote]
I'm well aware of that. Can you please show me where I have said that Australia is in Europe? Because that would be an embarrassing mistake. I'm pretty sure I haven't made it, however. :P

[quote name='SpaceNinja' post='1588204' date='Nov 13 2008, 23.36'][...]

Iron Islands... obviously inspired by Vikings.. so yeah...

[...][/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-S24KPOFg"]Please, no[/url]. :P (Random speech of the PM of Norway, Jens Stoltenberg.)

On a more serious note, Stellan Skarsgaard/Mads Mikkelsens accents are fine with me if you want a light Scandinavian flavour for Iron Islanders, but I'd rather have the so-called Mid-Atlantic accent, or something of the like, across the board.

[quote name='Kwasimitsu' post='1590327' date='Nov 15 2008, 15.21']Wouldnt i be awesome if they broke the mold and assinged completely different accents to the characters? Its all relative. How about New Foundland English? Its sounds kinda fresh.[/quote]
I think any of atlantic accent from Canada would work

American English as a whole is not all that much more similar to medieval English than the Brittish accent, and is very different in some ways. The best description I've heard from a reputable source (my Diction and Dialects professor) is that if you mixed the classic American "southern gentleman" accent (Think Gone with the Wind) with a neutral Brittish accent(The one all the bad guys have in the movies) and a bit of the high-class Australian (Geoffrey Rush) and you're pretty close. Even then though, there was a lot of variation in the regions and class so that example is only a general one that would have been the tree from which the rest branched off of, it is part of why southerners sound like southerners, you can trace a lot of the southern accent to the British accent, it just shows itself in slightly different ways.

Personally I'd go with the subdued LOTR-style accents. Give it some ye-olde-worlde flavor but without being distinctly anything. Give the northmen a Scottish edge, or the Dornish a Spaniard lilt, but don't spell it out so definitively that we'll be able to pick out the people who aren't as good at it.

For those suggesting American accents: go watch Legend of the Seeker and tell me it doesn't jolt you right out to hear them all sounding like they're from LA.

[quote name='Morrigan' post='1590242' date='Nov 15 2008, 20.54']I'm well aware of that. Can you please show me where I have said that Australia is in Europe? Because that would be an embarrassing mistake. I'm pretty sure I haven't made it, however. :P[/quote]

[quote name='Morrigan' post='1588197' date='Nov 13 2008, 22.30']I absolutely do not want to hear any North American accent. I don't know why, but characters in a medieval-like settings speaking American just doesn't work. [b]British, Irish, Scottish, Aussie, or "foreign" European accents[/b] such as Swedish, Russian, or even Spanish or hell, French, fine by me... but no Yankees or Canucks, please!

/is Canadian, for the record[/quote]
I took that as you were calling Aussies Europeans. They wouldn't like that (even though the white ones technically are).

[quote name='Venardhi' post='1590586' date='Nov 16 2008, 06.00']For those suggesting American accents: go watch Legend of the Seeker and tell me it doesn't jolt you right out to hear them all sounding like they're from LA.[/quote]

None of them sound like they come from LA to me, but no, no jolting any more than Hercules caused any difficulty.

[quote name='Mister Manticore' post='1590719' date='Nov 16 2008, 08.54']None of them sound like they come from LA to me, but no, no jolting any more than Hercules caused any difficulty.[/quote]
Do you really want 'A Game of Thrones' to be compared to the likes of 'Hercules'? This is a character drama, not an adventure-of-the-week fairytale.

And??? The problem being? I'm not sure where you're coming up with story, when I was referring to the lack of accents* in Hercules and for that matter Legend of the Seeker.

If this series follows the same pattern, no, I won't be displeased at all.

Has nothing to do with the plot or storyline.

Why would you think it did?

*Note I am not saying there aren't actors who are masking their accents in any of the series, or accents to be found, just that it's not all some deliberate attempt to make things sound one way or another to give some sort of "medieval" feel to the series.

[quote name='Venardhi' post='1590586' date='Nov 16 2008, 14.00']watch Legend of the Seeker and tell me it doesn't jolt you right out to hear them all sounding like they're from LA.[/quote]

I'll second that. I simply couldn't begin to take that show seriously for the way they spoke. Bruce Spence was alright, but other than that... Sheesh!

The problem being that Hercules was played for laughs as often as not, it didn't need to have an indulgent and immersive production design like this show will need to make us buy that this is all happening and not being shot in a soundstage. Something like Hercules or LotS or Beastmaster or any of the other comparable fantasy shows of the last 10 years have all been 90% fluff, easy entertainment, and even good at times, but far from solid dramatic material.

The accents help create this immersive world, help to convince us that these people live somewhere foreign and exotic to us. If they keep their ducks in a row, accents can be used as a tool to tell us more about a character than they have time to reveal on screen. (e.g. "Oh hey, that guy must be poor and from Kings Landing with that accent.")

There is nothing necessarily WRONG with using American accents, but it doesn't take us anywhere and frankly it doesn't suit the material, which goes out of its way to use decidedly non-American speech and slang. Especially if they're going to be filming in Europe where natural accents are plentiful, I see no reason to squander it with making everyone 'Ohio-ify' their voices.

Edit: Your editing your post makes much of my argument overstated, but I may as well leave it here for others to argue with. ;)

I was thinking that they should sound like...

Tully & the riverlands = mild Irish
Lannisters = mild Welsh
Ironmen = subtle mix of Scandinavian and English West Country (Pirate talk)
The Vale = Oxford/Queen's English
King's Landing = Southern England
Northmen= broad, slowly spoken Scottish

All across the board the dialects should be more pronounced among the smallfolk.

Archived