The series' effect on the board

sio

If it goes ahead, the series will doubtless trigger a huge influx of people into our abode. How do you feel about it?

I'm a little concerned - in my opinion the median literacy and culture of this board is quite high, and this contributes to enjoyable discussions a great deal. We don't get very many of the kind of ppl hu tlk liike this + neverr have nething useful 2 say, and I attribute this to the semi-prerequisite for board membership - having read at least part of Game.

On the other hand the series would definitely get more people to read the books (even if it's only for laughs (see the Goodkind threads for an example of what I mean)), and more people means more variety and potentially some great people who just aren't into fantasy literature in general.

What do you think?

Actually, this board is somewhat of the exception in the great see of Internet out there. After finding this, I´m having real troubles to stay at any other board for long. The amount of posts with no useful information, no real opinion and too many emoticons is jarring. Oh, fights abound here as well as anywhere, but at least they are lengthy and full of book quotes! Which made me wonder a couple of times about the reasons behind this little heaven. Good moderators, I guess, overall enjoyable people, and tradition. Newcomers (like me, but I´m a long time lurker) tend to respect the general setting of the community, and follow the rules. I´d expect it to be the case for people new to ASOIAF books and interested only in the series.

What troubles me more is the amount of spoilers any newcomer will find. You can´t put a spoiler tag on every past post, the book thread titles often are telling enough, and even people´s tags. R+L=J is a category on its own, mysterious enough for many to begin wondering.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Flurrydog (and welcome!)

If the series goes forward, we will definitely beef up moderation of the series-focused forum and be very, very strict about spoilers. Right now, when it's just pre-production and a pilot that may never air, I don't suppose we'll have too many people unfamiliar with ASoIaF coming over ... but if it goes to series, yeah, I imagine it'll happen, and we'll have to be really careful to not have people be spoiled.

Still, there's the inadvertent kind of spoilers you mention. Not quite sure what to do about those. Technically, I could go so far as to creating a special member type who only sees the TV series forum, but that's going to mean a lot of manual work. Ho-hum. Unless there's an extension or plugin that allows people to set certain member groups for themselves, that is. Will have to look into that.

I think what you can do, Ran, is spin off the TV series forum into another board separate from this one but still under your purview. Then, just make sure anyone who comes to this board is aware that it is full of spoilers and to go to the other board for discussion of the TV series.

I think the HBO series' discussion has been great for the boards! There's only so much time one can give to R + L = J.

And it sure beats whining about the release date of [i]A Dance with Dragons.[/i]

There's energy here anon!

And yes, the board moderators are fantastic. Ran and co. take this fandom quite seriously, and it shows. Bravo to all.

It would just be for the TV series forum. If you mean doing so in the TV series would be annoying, maybe so, but it's really the only sensible way to approach it unless we want to keep the forum almost entirely for readers of the books rather than viewers of the series.

The board would have to be divided between "spoiler-free" and "spoliery" sections. I like the way that this forum is populated with more literate individuals than your average forum, but hopefully people who don't like literature and such just won't post on those forums.

*shaking and trembling* This board is the only way I can get my fix!!!!

Um, anyway...Just wanted to say that this is one of the only online communities I dare even post to. Have you ever tried to have a sane discussion with anyone on craigslist or imdb? Imdb is, like, hell with a domain name! People manage to flame each other while discussing Disney over there!

And, of course, I was kicked off the Terry Goodkind forum in 1998, before it was even cool, for daring to have an opinion (and not even one I had to swear and froth over!) about something I'd read! The level of respect and sanity is pretty damn good here (even if people do occassionally quarrel over whether or not HBO will get Jeorah Mormont's window dressings right in the series etc.). After several traumatic experiences everywhere else on the web I am slowly inching back out of my shell. So, from one Ice and Fire fiend to another, I say thankee Ran!

Hannah

Well while itsa valid question it is far too early. Let the pilot belaunched and then acceptedand theseries get the full greelight. THEN we can worry about issues like this.

Do note though that any measures taken will only be for casual, inadvertant spoilers. Imean if there is someone out there hell benton spoling a lot of stuff, he/she could easily do it no matter the precautions.

As much as I'd like to think that we'll be getting a new crop of intelligent posters out of the TV series launch, I know that it is highly unlikely. Although there may be some fans of the TV show who pick up the books and read them, a large portion of the TV viewers are usually hell bent on never reading at all (that's what TV is for in their opinion!)

Maybe it's just overwhelming optimism on the part of someone who enjoys intelligent discourse-- but perhaps fans who are only fans of the television version will stick to the official forums that HBO will set up off of their page. The way that I found this forum was off of GRRMs official site, and it seemed to me that if you weren't a fan of GRRM (and you might not know GRRM if you were a TV fan only) you wouldn't find this forum.

It's not something we'll know until the show is on the air (fingers crossed!), but maybe it is something to consider in terms of how heavily we want to promote (and tailor) this site to fans of the TV show.

[quote name='Horza' post='1618653' date='Dec 14 2008, 15.38']We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And shippers.[/quote]

Plenty of them already. San/San anyone?

[quote name='Auburn Dragon' post='1618651' date='Dec 14 2008, 08.05']As much as I'd like to think that we'll be getting a new crop of intelligent posters out of the TV series launch, I know that it is highly unlikely. Although there may be some fans of the TV show who pick up the books and read them, a large portion of the TV viewers are usually hell bent on never reading at all (that's what TV is for in their opinion!)[/quote]
I honestly think you're underestimating the intelligence of the potential audience. HBO does attract a more literate audience than average. Unless David and Dan produce the adaptation as a reality show called Westeros' Next Top Monarch, the show's not going to capture the kind of viewer who would rather be thrown out of a window than touch a book. The dreaded viewers who would threaten to take down the board's intelligence would probably stick to the official boards at any rate.

Yeah, right. Let´s not discriminate people on the basis of their preferred relax method. There are many good books out there (supossedly read by intelligent people) with boards full of mindless chatter. This board is clearly very special, but I would´t go as far as to attribute it solely to the genius intelligence of The ASOIAF Readers (though it may have helped some... hehe).

Archived