Left field thought about Brienne

The Anti-Targ

So I am just not feeling the love when it comes to any of the Brienne casting suggestions. The least bad suggestion I think is [url="http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3548289792/nm0005060"]Kirsten Johnston[/url], except the size of her chest kinda eliminates her from consideration.

So in the absence of a real YES!! suggestion so far, I'm just gonna put this out there to see what people think.

Cast a dude for Brienne.

If John Travolta can do it in Hairspray then it can work for Brienne.

I don't mean to cast a dude in a panto, camp sort of way. I mean it in a serious way, play the role straight as it should be. In that respect it is best to use a relative unknown actor so that people really think the character is being played by a woman; a bit like that IRA movie where a dude plays an extremely convincing chick, who shockingly turns out to be a dude in the end (including for the audience unless you knew before watching it...ooops sorry if anyone hasn't watched it yet).

Everything about Brienne in the books screams "shemale!". The only thing not manly about Brienne is her mosquito bite breasts and her inability to grow a beard. So the best fit, in terms of her physical profile, is that of a man. So why try to squeeze a female actess into a [mostly] man's body?

Even a relatively good looking dude makes for an ugly chick.

I am a little suprised that Hilary Swank hasn't been suggested as Brienne yet. If she can play a convincing dude, then logic follows that she can play an ugly chick. But still she doesn't have the brute size needed for a good Brienne.

Edit: to complete a sentence.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1619151' date='Dec 14 2008, 14.53']I am a little suprised that Hilary Swank hasn't been suggested as Brienne yet.[/quote]

Im not saying she's as pretty as say Jessica Alba or Emma Watson, but I think Swank would have to fall down at least a couple hundred rungs on the ugly ladder before she could be considered to play this character.

I would be comfortable with giving a relative unknown their big break with this character, Im OK with a new face here...

[quote name='quigon87' post='1619329' date='Dec 14 2008, 16.50']Im not saying she's as pretty as say Jessica Alba or Emma Watson, but I think Swank would have to fall down at least a couple hundred rungs on the ugly ladder before she could be considered to play this character.[/quote]

It's not an ugliness thing, I don't think. Makeup and all that can help with that. It's the physique that's harder to fake - where are you going to find a huge, muscly, small-breasted actress? A [i]good[/i] actress.

Isn't Hilary Swank kinda A-list though? In terms of physiyque is it really that important? She'll be wearing armour most of the time and it is easy to make a woman look bigger than she is. Plus there are a lot of models who basically have the figure down, broad shoulders, no boobs, tall, all they need is some muscle and an uglied up face. Plus, and I know this goes against general media rules, but some models are actually quite odd looking and could easily be seen as ugly, being prized for their dramatic features rather than their pretty ones.

In terms of a guy playing Brienne, I think that would kind of undercut the whole point of her being a woman. From a feminist perspective and from a fan-of-the-book perspective, I would HATE that.

[quote name='kunamasnow' post='1619617' date='Dec 15 2008, 15.33']In terms of a guy playing Brienne, I think that would kind of undercut the whole point of her being a woman. From a feminist perspective and from a fan-of-the-book perspective, I would HATE that.[/quote]

Eh?

I'm not saying Brienne the character should be a dude. The character is a woman and should be played straight as a woman, and within the context of the show there should be no hint of her being a man. I'm suggesting you can get a closer physical match by using a dude to play the woman. I don't quite know how that offends one's feminist sensibilities or book fan-ness. As long as the actor does a good job of portraying Brienne does it really matter what sex they are IRL?

Conversely if you need someone to play an achingly beautiful effeminate man (remind you of any recent trashy literary descriptions?) you could choose to use a female actor, as a female will fit the physical descriptions of the character better than most male actors.

RE Hilary Swank: Yes Hilary Swank is not a fruit from the ugly tree, but she does have quite a masculine facial structure IMO, which is what made her so damned good in 'Boys Don't Cry'.

[quote name='silmarilli' post='1619675' date='Dec 15 2008, 16.32']There is only one problem, the voice would be a dead giveaway.

That, or the nude scene at Harrenhal...[/quote]

If you didn't know who John Travolta was you would have thought his character in Hairspray was a woman right up until you read the credits (and only if you are a credit reading sort of person).

The Harrenhal scene can be easily managed.

Of course there's always [url="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0491321/"]Chyna[/url] though she'd need to have her implants taken out to get the right chest shape.

I think having a guy play Brienne wouldn't really be doing justice to the character in particular or tall, smallbreasted women in general. Brienne is great because she isn't a guy, just a unfeminine gal who wants to do guy things in a mans world. Heaps of fantasy swordswenches are either down home pretty under all that blood and gore, lithe, or clever and worldly to compensate - Brienne's none of them and awesome for it.

[quote name='Horza' post='1619692' date='Dec 15 2008, 16.51']I think having a guy play Brienne wouldn't really be doing justice to the character in particular or tall, smallbreasted women in general.[/quote]

You what!?! that's like saying having a slim person in a fat suit play Sam is a disservice to fat people.

Was it an injustice to Iraqis and Colombians for Cliff Curtis to play characters of those nationalities?

The way you do justice to a fictional character is by getting the best actor for the part, nothing more nothing less. There is simply no social justice issue wrt tall, homely, smallbreasted women when it comes to casting for Brienne.

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1619704' date='Dec 15 2008, 15.31']You what!?! that's like saying having a slim person in a fat suit play Sam is a disservice to fat people.

Was it an injustice to Iraqis and Colombians for Cliff Curtis to play characters of those nationalities?

The way you do justice to a fictional character is by getting the best actor for the part, nothing more nothing less. There is simply no social justice issue wrt tall, homely, smallbreasted women when it comes to casting for Brienne.[/quote]
Dammit, more thinly-veiled anti-tall homely smallbreasted women prejudice from across the Tasman! When will you people learn? ;)

You have to admit there is a difference between a fat suit and getting someone of the other gender - I'm not on a campaign here and I'm sure the right bloke could pull it off reasonably well, but I think there would be cost in terms of authenticity. Even the best acting sometimes can't make up for not having the right characteristics, cf. Lawrence Olivier's [i]Othello[/i]. Male actor should be the absolute last resort.

I'd rather HBO Hollywood-ize Brienne (make her handsome, but "not so pretty" as the rest, while giving her a tomboyish and built physique) than have her played by a guy. Giving Brienne breasts will not ruin the story in any way.

But I will agree with siyrean on the possibility of there being more than one potential actress about that could pull off the role of Brienne physically.

Semi-OT: Is there by chance any [i]serious[/i] female role played by a male? I don't think Travolta's performance qualifies. If it does, heck, why not be old fashion and make the series an all-male cast?

[quote name='siyrean' post='1619709' date='Dec 15 2008, 14.41']are tall athletic non supermodels who can act really all that hard to find? are we once again underestimating the unemployed talent pool out there? hell, her being not so hot probably means its even larger[/quote]

I kinda second this motion...I mean Whoopie Goldberg was a homeless lady before she did any real acting. She's a decent enough actor and she's nowhere NEAR pretty. If Whoopie can do, so can an overly large, manish looking female...

I wouldn't mind a dude playing Brienn so much though...except for the nude scenes at Harrenhal that would have to be faked. But then, why hire a body double with a body shape like Brienn's...why not just hire that person for the actual role?

[quote name='jousha' post='1619767' date='Dec 14 2008, 23.43']I'd rather HBO Hollywood-ize Brienne (make her handsome, but "not so pretty" as the rest, while giving her a tomboyish and built physique) than have her played by a guy. Giving Brienne breasts will not ruin the story in any way.[/quote]
We need to believe that Jaime would be disgusted with himself for even [i]considering[/i] sexual thoughts towards her.

Physically, I think [url="http://www.ameliemauresmo.fr/fr/"]Amélie Mauresmo[/url] would make a perfect Brienne.
Unfortunately there are 3 big drawbacks:
- I don't have a clue whether she can act or not.
- Tennis players make a lot of money so I don't know if she would be affordable
- Well, she has to play tennis

you guys are acting like an usually tall, muscular and ugly athletic woman is about as fictional as a unicorn, hence the need to bring someone in DRAG to portray the character. there are people like this out there guys; i bet a few of them can act too (why not? we have dwarf actors, obese actors, transgender actors, mentally disabled actors etc)!

but this is really a moot point because, hate to break it to you guys, i'm 99% sure they're going to make Brienne Hollywood ugly. This is still the entertainment industry after all.

[quote name='Bellis' post='1620201' date='Dec 15 2008, 14.05']Add me to the list of people who would be just as offended by a man playing Brienne as by a white person in blackface doing Jalabar Xho.[/quote]

Thank you! I was left feeling vaguely offended by this suggestion and you've hit it right on the head why.

Start looking at athletes. I think the ideal of a tall, small-breasted model "all they need is some muscle" is hilarious. A. For women, putting on muscle easily isn't the norm and it would likely take years to be as built as Brienne
B. Models enjoy being rail thin and most have damaged metabolisms from intense, continual dieting. Muscle requires health.... and eating =)
Look at female bodybuilders in the tall class, when they are off season they will still be built but not all shredded. Most have taken steroids so their faces have taken on masculine features
[url="http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/coconutsandapples/AB/shawn3.jpg"]Shawn Tan[/url] is 6' and doesn't have implants. She has a decent face but it could be hollywood ugly I guess.

Archived