ADwD Mafia 61: Drowned Men, Krakens, and Maesters, oh my!

House Targaryen

It is not looking good for Glover. There are too many slip-ups that can either be attributed to simple mistakes or, well, not so simple mistakes. Either way, those slip-ups are the best we have to go on now. Since he has 7 votes with 6 hours to go I'll hold my vote off of him for the time being.

[quote name='House Erenford' post='1645971' date='Jan 12 2009, 12.37']Not particularly. Your question was why didn't he quote the person he was agreeing with or state outright that he was agreeing with him. I don't see how that will garner anything useful even by day 1 standards.[/quote]

Really? You don't see how he could have possibly been using the "I was agreeing with Mallister" excuse to cover a slip on his part (if he was FM who was focused on finding the cult, and forgot to 'search' for the FM)? You don't see how questioning him on it, just to see what kind of response he'd come up with, could be at all worthwhile?

That's how information is gathered on day 1. Its hit or miss. Sometimes you get info that can immediately help you. Sometimes, you get info that can help you later in the game. Sometimes, you strike out.

In this particular case, I do actually have a follow up question for Penrose. You said -

[quote name='Penrose']At the time I was replying, his was the immediate one before mine, and I didn't know somebody else would be talking while I was.[/quote]
But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Varner posted 1 minute after Mallister. Your post came 10 minutes after that. Are you saying that you had the window open for 10 minutes, writing that post?

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1646005' date='Jan 12 2009, 12.58']In your opinion, what ought we to do Day 1?[/quote]

I have 2 goals on day 1.

1) Put pressure on multiple people. By casting votes and asking questions.

2) Gather information. By asking questions and forcing people to make difficult decisions between a few lynch options.

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1646184' date='Jan 12 2009, 23.05']For those voting Glover because he's the most realistic option, who is your second choice and why?[/quote]

The problem is there aren't really any other cases that stand out, and, in light of that, I'd be willing to lynch any of the 'under the radar' posters. I always worry that it is an easy way to play a FM, especially in larger games, as there are likely several people with low volumes of posts. I also feel that losing the low posters helps the thread avoid stagnation, and keeps things ticking over more nicely.

I don't think I'd be able to get a lynch on any of them though, and I wouldn't want to lynch someone just because they've had a busy day and been unable to post or anything. Oh well.

[b]Glover[/b]

For spoiling the ending of Confessor (and being downright shifty under pressure.

I'm off.

Just reminding people who are leaving for the rest of the day that a provisional for your night action is a good idea. I hate long nights.

It is day 1.

19 players remain: Blount, Brune, Bywater, Chester, Connington, Dondarrion, Erenford, Farring, Glover, Karstark, Mallister, Manwoody, Marbrand, Penrose, Pommingham, Poole, Reyne, Selmy, Varner.

10 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

8 votes for Glover ( Chester, Pommingham, Farring, Bywater, Reyne, Poole, Connington, Varner)
2 votes for Penrose ( Blount, Selmy)
1 vote for Chester ( Dondarrion)
1 vote for Dondarrion ( Glover)
1 vote for Erenford ( Karstark)
1 vote for Karstark ( Penrose)
1 vote for Poole ( Manwoody)
1 vote for Selmy ( Erenford)

3 players have not voted: Brune, Mallister, Marbrand.

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1646184' date='Jan 12 2009, 16.05']For those voting Glover because he's the most realistic option, who is your second choice and why?

EDIT: actually, anyone voting for Glover, who is your second choice and why? Mine would be Poole. Nothing constructive so far. Would rather take out someone who might might be a low flyer later on. Has nothing to do with guilt, but rather getting a handle on the player. Marbrand and Erenford are also low posters (off the top of my head) but I feel I have at least a little more on those two. Anyone who hasn't contributed since the RP stage is also fair game ... Chester, Mallister - probably more I am forgetting.[/quote]

Like Varner said, no one else really stands out. As I said in a previous post, Manwoody stands out at me for some reason. It might be the unfortunate avatar (just speaks of evil) but I think it was something he said. It's not better than what we have against Glover right now, which is saying it's basically just a hunch.

I would also be willing to lynch a poster with a low count. Blount, for example, has 10 posts but I don't remember a single one of them. The others I at least recall having posted and a gist of what was said (either rp or serious) but I get nothing from Blount.

After re-reading the game intro I do believe we only have 1 cult member and they can convert a new member each day if I'm correct? IMO the perfect place to hide out would be at the bottom of the totem pole, hoping someone who talks too much will paint a target on their back, which Glover has managed to do. It's what I would do, but since I'm not playing that role I can't say it's what the person with the actual role would do.

Glover is awfully close to the brink right now, so if we're going to re-route this mob we'd have to do it soon. Although picking a low-post count player might prove too tricky/time consuming as everyone would have to follow one or two other people's lead in who is chosen and I don't see that happening on Day 1 when everyone is still a suspect.

[quote name='House Selmy' post='1646196' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.11']In this particular case, I do actually have a follow up question for Penrose. You said -

But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Varner posted 1 minute after Mallister. Your post came 10 minutes after that. Are you saying that you had the window open for 10 minutes, writing that post?[/quote]

Yep, I had decided to follow up on the Selmy acronym with one for Varner, since the "V" suggested Villain and the A and E suggested Aeron and Euron. But then I got stuck and ended up needing to resort to a thesaurus to come up with the "Representatives Negating". Why can't there be good R and N words for "henchmen" and "undermining"?

I have no objections to being questioned, and don't find it weird.

And I had no serious reasons to consider Varner either FM or Cult, which is why I placed no vote. It was all RP.

At this point, I consider Glover more suspicious than Karstark, and will probably move my vote, but don't want the day to end too early. I'm going to go review some of the other suspects to try to answer Bywater's question.

[quote name='House Reyne' post='1646088' date='Jan 12 2009, 12.55']You should be new here? when you click add quote you can see a link flash in yout status bar, this means its
quoted, multi quote any number of posts you want then click fast reply at the bottom of your screen.[/quote]

I'm not new, (or maybe I am) but I have never noticed this before. Thanks!

[quote name='House Selmy' post='1646202' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.17']I have 2 goals on day 1.

1) Put pressure on multiple people. By casting votes and asking questions.

2) Gather information. By asking questions and forcing people to make difficult decisions between a few lynch options.[/quote]

Hmm ok. this may just be a quibble of semantics, but really putting pressure on people only works if there is a serious case with intent to lynch. I don't really buy the concept of a 'vote for pressure'.

I haven't really put enough time into the game today (hopefully tomorrow will be better) so I can only say that on vibes my top suspects are Manwoody and Erenford. But that's probably utter echidna crap, we shall see. I am not averse to a Glover lynch, I need to go to bed now. It seems there are enough people to lynch Glover, so I won't vote for him, but people make sure you do lynch, or I will feel (and look) very bad.

If you want to change the mob to a low poster, my choice would be Erenford.

I've only skimmed the thread since I left, but I don't like the Glover lynch. Just on principle, I don't like lynching high posters on day 1 without a good reason, and I haven't seen one for Glover. The case was weak, and I don't think he's been overreacting that much. I'm also very troubled that there has been no other viable lynch. Day 1 consensus scares me I guess. :uhoh:

[quote name='House Chester' post='1646188' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.07']I'm leaving my vote on Glover for the following reasons:
This is his 2nd overall post. Now-I don't know about you guys but when I think rats I think ships. Longships to be precise... but-this is just his 2nd post...
Then here we are with Post #3. What an AMAZING follow up! So, he is now thinking about keeping someone under WATER to CLEANSE them... worked for witches indeed! We also have the first mention of Cultmaster.
Hmm... in response to a church being UNDER WATER... NICE one... and oh so subtle!
What do you think? Who would it be if we had one?
OK, so here he goes after Varner... right or wrong, this post actually had me go back and put them together... and again-with the need for punishment and cleansing...
Uh... HELLO!!! Not a POOLE but a KRACKEN for sure!
My comment might not have been spot on.. but it was what I meant
He didn't take an hour or so... in fact he just kept on posting... and, it was the beginning of the pronouncements of innocence...
Ummm... sure it does...
And my guess is those serious posts were Yours!
The remaining posts were all noticed and commented on so I'll just say that I agree... Protesting too much makes you look quite guilty.

So-anyway.. there is my 'joke' case.

My radar is still up from the beginning for Dondarrion, but only because of Glover. A few more thoughts left to ferret out for others as well..[/quote]

Am I the only one who wonders what Chester is smoking?

[quote name='House Marbrand' post='1646220' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.31']After re-reading the game intro I do believe we only have 1 cult member and they can convert a new member each day if I'm correct? IMO the perfect place to hide out would be at the bottom of the totem pole, hoping someone who talks too much will paint a target on their back, which Glover has managed to do. It's what I would do, but since I'm not playing that role I can't say it's what the person with the actual role would do.[/quote]

I believe Week promised a cult 'mainly nerfed, so you don't have to fear another cult that converts every other [night] until the game end' or something along those lines. I decline to speculate on what the exact make up of the cult might be - there's only so much laughing from the spoilers that one can take.

[quote name='House Marbrand' post='1646220' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.31']After re-reading the game intro I do believe we only have 1 cult member and they can convert a new member each day if I'm correct? IMO the perfect place to hide out would be at the bottom of the totem pole, hoping someone who talks too much will paint a target on their back, which Glover has managed to do. It's what I would do, but since I'm not playing that role I can't say it's what the person with the actual role would do.[/quote]

Sorry to quote this twice, but I couldn't help thinking that this sounded a little bit like a cultist playing dumb.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1646238' date='Jan 12 2009, 16.57']Sorry to quote this twice, but I couldn't help thinking that this sounded a little bit like a cultist playing dumb.[/quote]

Would you care to explain how you came up with his accusatory idea or would you prefer to try and paint suspicion and run?

[quote name='House Marbrand' post='1646244' date='Jan 12 2009, 15.02']Would you care to explain how you came up with his accusatory idea or would you prefer to try and paint suspicion and run?[/quote]

It just struck me as that. Obviously, it's not super suspicious, but it's just a thought that entered my head which I thought I would share.

[quote name='House Erenford' post='1646234' date='Jan 12 2009, 22.52']I've only skimmed the thread since I left, but I don't like the Glover lynch. Just on principle, I don't like lynching high posters on day 1 without a good reason, and I haven't seen one for Glover. The case was weak, and I don't think he's been overreacting that much. I'm also very troubled that there has been no other viable lynch. Day 1 consensus scares me I guess. :uhoh:[/quote]

On day one we usually lynch people who've done or said something awkward (by day one standards at least). The quiet players rarely say anything, and there's no really good reason for choosing one over another.

Also, Glover only really started talking beyond his Goodkind experience once he became scared. And it was mostly defensive stuff. That kind of contributors don't strike the right key with me.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1646238' date='Jan 12 2009, 22.57']Sorry to quote this twice, but I couldn't help thinking that this sounded a little bit like a cultist playing dumb.[/quote]

It does sound a little weird, half way between analysis, WIFOM and giving the cult advice (or should that be a third of the way?). Anyway, I agree the cult has probably been nerfed after its last few victories, although to exactly which extent we can only guess.

It is day 1.

19 players remain: Blount, Brune, Bywater, Chester, Connington, Dondarrion, Erenford, Farring, Glover, Karstark, Mallister, Manwoody, Marbrand, Penrose, Pommingham, Poole, Reyne, Selmy, Varner.

10 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

7 votes for Glover ( Chester, Pommingham, Farring, Reyne, Poole, Connington, Varner)
2 votes for Penrose ( Blount, Selmy)
1 vote for Chester ( Dondarrion)
1 vote for Dondarrion ( Glover)
1 vote for Erenford ( Karstark)
1 vote for Karstark ( Penrose)
1 vote for Poole ( Manwoody)
1 vote for Selmy ( Erenford)

4 players have not voted: Brune, Bywater, Mallister, Marbrand.

Remember that it's never too early to send in your night action. ;)

Whatever Chester's smoking, I want some. :hat:

Of the low posters, I feel that Blount, Brune, Mallister, Reyne & Chester have waaaay too little to go on. Just nothing, really - like they aren't trying. Gonna cross 'em off my list for today. Eh - put Connington there too.

There are a lot of posters who have very little, but at least seem to be making an attempt - Marbrand, Poole, Manwoody, Farring, Penrose, Erenford, Pommingham, Selmy. Very big list of middle/low posters. (I put woody there because he is mostly spam and very few real posts)

If I were to divide this group, it would be into people who push new ideas/ask questions/ aren't afraid to be abrasive and the Middle of the Road players.

Farring takes an unconventional stand against Glover's role reveal, Penrose doesn't mind prodding, Selmy has little, but is slightly abrasive. I'm taking these off my list. That leaves the players that want to look like they are contributing and don't necessarily want to ruffle feathers.

Marbrand: just enough to get by, makes a vague list of suspects that looks like contribution, but really isn't

Poole: again, just enough to get by and most of it is apologizing for not being here

Manwoody: spam to pad the count, then pressure on low posters (i.e easy targets)

Erenford: token attempt to apply pressure, but other than that, not much

Pommingham: made weak case against Glover for symp/RP clues. Again, looks like more contribution than it is.

I'd be ok with a lynch of one of those five if we decide to spare Glover.

[quote name='House Pommingham' post='1646268' date='Jan 12 2009, 18.21']Also, Glover only really started talking beyond his Goodkind experience once he became scared. And it was mostly defensive stuff. That kind of contributors don't strike the right key with me.[/quote]

This.

Glover has two types of post right now - spam and defense.

Seven pages of this? Really?

re Varner Immunity I'm going to agree that this wasn't some sort of ability, one shot or non, because it would simply have been an inane waste of that person's role.

I don't like Glover or Pommingham at this point. Overreacting to cases isn't a sure sign of guilt ever, but squirming on day one isn't very encouraging. Also, both players have brought up balance, another less-than-surefire way of finding scum, but nonetheless, we have little to work with. Blount is the only player I've noticed to be suspicious after catching up (rather quickly, I'm afraid) on the game.

[quote name='Blount']Im here, and don't think that the glover case is strong, it seems based around a joke. He does seem to be defending it strongly, with lengthy posts, and lots of explaining etc, so is perhaps a bit nervous, which if inno, im not sure he would be when faced with such a case.

Apparently there is a dondarrion case around, so im gonna have a look for it.[/quote]

I think this reeks of inexperienced middle of the roading/weak distancing and wouldn't be surprised if he was teamed with Glover based on this post alone.

[quote]I feel that Blount, Brune, [u]Mallister[/u], Reyne & Chester have waaaay too little to go on. Just nothing, really - like they aren't trying.[/quote]

I don't think that's exactly fair...

ETA: messed up quote tag..

Edited again to change bold to underline, sorry for confusion.. and multiple editing.

Archived