ADwD Mafia 61: Drowned Men, Krakens, and Maesters, oh my!

House Targaryen

Day ones suck, don't they.

I'm going to keep my vote on Glover. As I said, I liked the following post by Chester (probably the first serious vote of the day):

[quote name='Chester']Well, as the one who now leads they cry against Varner- Having given up on his previous dedication to the removal of Dondarrion - I smell a kettle of brackish sea water stewing in a kettle black...

GLOVER[/quote]

He also makes a couple of comments regarding the cult that could point to him being a killer (paying extra attention to the cult), or cult symp, or... something.

[quote name='Glover']He could be joking, so i suggest we use a little test to find out?

What we do is hold him under water for five minutes. If he's still alive, we lynch him as a cultmaster![/quote]

[quote name='Glover']Do cults have symps? :-p[/quote]

If he were evil, he might be partnered with Manwoody.

[quote name='Glover']But I don't know, is it worth keeping Woody around just for the comical references? I mean, this IS the joke/rp/sexual innuendo stage, after all. How can we do anything without man-wood?[/quote]

If you look at Glover's latest posts it seems like he's getting whiny and nervous. Always a sign of guilt.

I have no problem with RP fluff and as you say, nothing much was going on last you were active. There were a few attempts at semi-serious comments though and you did have a small opportunity to join in if you wanted. So far, you're doing a good job of padding your post-count without saying anything (as are Varner and Manwoody) so, like I said - I am looking forward to hearing some actual opinion :)

[quote name='House Selmy' post='1645873' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.24']But now I'm curious. You claim that I was trying to act as if I was contributing, without actually saying anything of importance. So are you saying that you weren't at all interested in Penrose's answer to my question?[/quote]
Not particularly. Your question was why didn't he quote the person he was agreeing with or state outright that he was agreeing with him. I don't see how that will garner anything useful even by day 1 standards.

[quote]There are more things you can do on day 1, then just 1) joke around, or 2) construct serious cases and try to get people lynched. rolleyes2.gif

In fact, I'd argue that most of day 1 should consist of neither of those 2 things.[/quote]
I agree that there are useful things to do on day 1 besides making big cases, I just don't see the questions you posed Penrose as useful.

Hello- I see I have only garnered one vote for my lack of play up to this point. Could be worse. I expected more. Apologies for the lack of contribution. work called and unfortunately I had to answer. Seems we have started actual gameplay, neat. Going to do a bit of a reread of the last 2 pages. back in a few.

Right you are. Actual opinion is being formatted as we speak. Before that's finished though, I'd just like to point out to Pommingham that the reason my attention is on the cult right now is that we can finish the cult off today. One kill and they are gone. The killers must have at least 2 players + a symp, probably more, so while I would take a killer today, I'd much rather get the cult leader given the choice.

[quote name='House Selmy' post='1645882' date='Jan 12 2009, 10.31']Connington, did you ever respond to this? I'd be interested in knowing why you thought Targ had edited Reyne's post, when it clearly says that it was done by Reyne.[/quote]

? I don't understand this. Targ is not, as far as I know, a special alt with mod powers, and when the mod wants to edit something they log in to the player alt to do it because they know all the passwords. So of course it will say 'edited by House Reyne' no matter who made the edit. That said, Reyne did say he made the edit himself, and there is no reason to believe it was a mod edit. This whole episode is bizarre.

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645973' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.38']Right you are. Actual opinion is being formatted as we speak. Before that's finished though, I'd just like to point out to Pommingham that the reason my attention is on the cult right now is that we can finish the cult off today. One kill and they are gone. The killers must have at least 2 players + a symp, probably more, so while I would take a killer today, I'd much rather get the cult leader given the choice.[/quote]

Yeh...but, how are we going to get the choice? Short of mass FM and cult reveal, which is unlikely. Yes it would be lovely to get the OC today (assuming there is just one cultist, I wouldn't rule out something more exotic), but personally I don't know of any special methods for identifying cultists. If there is a method by which we can focus on the cult today, I would love to hear it.

ETA: clarity

Right, impressions of the Glover case:

After I make the joke, we open with Pommingham making a joke about it. Up until the recent post just now (after my re-read) that was all he said on the matter. The newer post was after I said I'd look at responses so isn't of much use in this case.

Manwoody ignored it at first, then once it was actually brought forward as a point against me, made a joke about it being a joke. No actual serious interaction there, so like Pommingham, not much to learn here.

Dondarrion is the man who caught my eye. He ignored it until the case was brought up, then responded with a weak defence, pointing out it wasn't a claim, just a joke. This was followed up by a stronger defence with him going on the offensive, asking for examples of useful jokes. or rp posts. Finally, he ends the exchange by attacking Chester out of the blue, perhaps to appear to divert attention away from me. If I was a third party, I'd be pretty suspicious of Dondarrion as my symp. So, [b]Dondarrion[/b] earns my wrath for fake-symping me.

Karkstark also defended me, pointing out it was an obvious joke, asn asked if there was actually a serious point on me. He didn't push it though, so is a step below Dondarrion here.

Farring - Oddly he ignored my comment at first, then half an hour later attacked me on it. Being schooled by someone, or does he have a better explanation? I can think of a few, such as him skim reading, posting then properly re-reading and catching it. Like I said, this is a bit too obvious a move and too likely to blow up, so as much as this doesn't make him less of a suspect (WIFOM's a bitch) it also doesn't make him all that suspicious in my eyes.

Chester - Joke case on me. I think we can pretty much ignore this.

Bywater - Voted me with no explanation whatsoever. Later mentions he'd like to hear actual opinions from me. His opinions other than the attack on me include role discussion (safe ground) and attacking Manwoody for pressuring an easy target. Despite this, he feels that me not contributing serious posts in the short window when a couple first popped up was a better cause for a vote than that? I was a safeish place to place a vote when he did, and he did take an awful long time to follow the vote up with an actual reason for it, which suggests coaching to me. Right now we have little to go on, but Bywater here is a tier below Dondarrion on my list at the moment, and I would support a lynch on him.

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645929' date='Jan 12 2009, 20.10']Okay, so it seems that the bulk while I was away was reaction to my "claim", and reaction to those reactions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that while attacking me on it is a little silly, it doesn't stink of evil to me. Evil are usually careful, and that is way too likely to blow up in your face. I'm not discounting a brainless moment from an evil player, but at the same time it's not going to count heavily against the people who somehow suspect me based on it.

However I do need to re-read the defenses of me. It's usually counter reactions that tell more than real reactions. If there's a symp in the game, now would be an excellent opportunity to fake symp me.

Give me an hour or so, as I have stuff around the house to do at the same time. :)[/quote]
Glover I have a problem with this post of yours. I dont like people when accused start putting themselves in the evil players shoes and talk about how would they play if they were actually evil or not, these kind of players mostly end up being actually evil.
another thing is your attitude since people started reacting to your claim, since then you have looked very nervous while they were only reactions and questions that needed some simple asnwers still it seems you try too hard to convince others.

Im prepared to vote for you bu I will wait for your answers.

[quote name='House Selmy' post='1645876' date='Jan 12 2009, 10.26']There are more things you can do on day 1, then just 1) joke around, or 2) construct serious cases and try to get people lynched. :rolleyes:

In fact, I'd argue that most of day 1 should consist of neither of those 2 things.[/quote]

In your opinion, what ought we to do Day 1?

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1645993' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.53']Yeh...but, how are we going to get the choice? Short of mass FM and cult reveal, which is unlikely. Yes it would be lovely to get the OC today (assuming there is just one cultist, I wouldn't rule out something more exotic), but personally I don't know of any special methods for identifying cultists. If there is a method by which we can focus on the cult today, I would love to hear it.

ETA: clarity[/quote]

Cultists can slip up just the same as killers. I'm not saying we should ignore killers, I'm saying that I personally have my mind trained more on cultist slips than killer slips right now, although I am of course looking for all of the above, plus symp slips just to add to the fun. So, if I sound like I care more about getting cultists than killers right now that'd be because I am more interested in catching cultists than killers. Doesn't mean I won't lynch whoever is most likely not an innocent.

[quote name='House Reyne' post='1645995' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.54']Glover I have a problem with this post of yours. I dont like people when accused start putting themselves in the evil players shoes and talk about how would they play if they were actually evil or not, these kind of players mostly end up being actually evil.
another thing is your attitude since people started reacting to your claim, since then you have looked very nervous while they were only reactions and questions that needed some simple asnwers still it seems you try too hard to convince others.

Im prepared to vote for you bu I will wait for your answers.[/quote]

Answers? Well, I've been more nervous. However mine was pretty much the only serious case right now. Surely it's better I answer it and look to use it to find out who actually is evil than just play it cool and ignore it? If I end up dying as a result, but that leads us to killing a killer or two (or cultist or two) later in the game as a direct result of these "nervous" posts, I'll be happy in Spoiler Heaven.

And putting myself into the killers shoes? That's how I play. Don't like it? tough titties. It tends to work for me. :)

[quote name='House Glover' post='1646016' date='Jan 12 2009, 21.02']Answers? Well, I've been more nervous. However mine was pretty much the only serious case right now. Surely it's better I answer it and look to use it to find out who actually is evil than just play it cool and ignore it? If I end up dying as a result, but that leads us to killing a killer or two (or cultist or two) later in the game as a direct result of these "nervous" posts, I'll be happy in Spoiler Heaven.

And putting myself into the killers shoes? That's how I play. Don't like it? tough titties. It tends to work for me. :)[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification [b]Glover[/b] I appereciate it.

[quote name='House Glover' post='1646006' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.58']Cultists can slip up just the same as killers. I'm not saying we should ignore killers, I'm saying that I personally have my mind trained more on cultist slips than killer slips right now, although I am of course looking for all of the above, plus symp slips just to add to the fun.[/quote]

Yeh, which is fine. I have no problem in principle with wanting to get the OC on the first day. But I would have thought that it is a pointless exercise since there is no way to differentiate the different evil factions on day 1. So I am wondering what would constitute a 'cultist slip' and would would constitute a 'killer slip'.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1646020' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.06']Yeh, which is fine. I have no problem in principle with wanting to get the OC on the first day. But I would have thought that it is a pointless exercise since there is no way to differentiate the different evil factions on day 1. So I am wondering what would constitute a 'cultist slip' and would would constitute a 'killer slip'.[/quote]

Hard to know until one is made. Even then it may just be an evil slip.

The fact remains, I was asked why i mentioned the cult more than the killers. I answered why; because they are the people I would rather catch right now. It's not like i've actively avoided looking for anyone but the cult, or attempted to get others to leave a likely killer alone in favour of a possible cultist. It's simply an answer to "why mention the cult more", and i feel "because they can be killed off today" is an adequet answer. :)

[quote name='House Glover' post='1646006' date='Jan 12 2009, 10.58']Cultists can slip up just the same as killers. I'm not saying we should ignore killers, I'm saying that I personally have my mind trained more on cultist slips than killer slips right now, although I am of course looking for all of the above, plus symp slips just to add to the fun. So, if I sound like I care more about getting cultists than killers right now that'd be because I am more interested in catching cultists than killers. Doesn't mean I won't lynch whoever is most likely not an innocent.[/quote]

How do you diferentiate between a "Cultist slip" and a "Killer slip". They are both anti-town, and at this stage I am not sure how you could differentiate the two.

EDIT: oops, cross post

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645929' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.10']Okay, so it seems that the bulk while I was away was reaction to my "claim", and reaction to those reactions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that while attacking me on it is a little silly, it doesn't stink of evil to me. Evil are usually careful, and that is way too likely to blow up in your face. I'm not discounting a brainless moment from an evil player, but at the same time it's not going to count heavily against the people who somehow suspect me based on it.

However I do need to re-read the defenses of me. It's usually counter reactions that tell more than real reactions. If there's a symp in the game, now would be an excellent opportunity to fake symp me.

Give me an hour or so, as I have stuff around the house to do at the same time. :)[/quote]

I was going to reply to this, but Reyne got to it before me. There's just something about this post that strikes a cord with me, how you're defending those who attacked you while attacking those who defended you. It's all sorts of confusing and I don't really like it.

And maybe its just the wording that feels off to me, but it seems like you're trying to say a symp is waiting around to fake-symp you specifically. As if you expect someone to try and symp you no matter what.

[quote name='House Poole' post='1646024' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.09']How do you diferentiate between a "Cultist slip" and a "Killer slip". They are both anti-town, and at this stage I am not sure how you could differentiate the two.

EDIT: oops, cross post[/quote]

Only ones i can think of off hand is if someone tried to totally ignore the cult, actively pushed not looking for them yet, played them down as a threat or posted "When I convert" rather than "When they convert" or something equally stupid. :-p

But yeah, cross post. I'll kill whoever looks evilist, i'd just rather a cult leader, followed by killer, followed by symp. evil looking innocent is my last choice, but hey a lynch is better than no lynch on day one. :-p

[quote name='House Marbrand' post='1646026' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.11']I was going to reply to this, but Reyne got to it before me. There's just something about this post that strikes a cord with me, how you're defending those who attacked you while attacking those who defended you. It's all sorts of confusing and I don't really like it.

And maybe its just the wording that feels off to me, but it seems like you're trying to say a symp is waiting around to fake-symp you specifically. As if you expect someone to try and symp you no matter what.[/quote]

Nah, it's more the fact that it was a weak case. A very weak case. Therefore it's a safe place for a symp to fake symp someone. If i was another innocent, i'd be suspicious of those same people for symping me, and of me for being symped by them. However I'm not, I'm me, so I know it's fake symping or not symping at all, and thus only suspicious of the people doing it, not me myself. :-p

edit: Actually, if i wasn't me, i'd like to think i would see it as fake symping BECAUSE it's such a weak initial case. :P

Archived