ADwD Mafia 61: Drowned Men, Krakens, and Maesters, oh my!

House Targaryen

[quote name='House Blount' post='1646083' date='Jan 12 2009, 21.52']Im here, and don't think that the glover case is strong, it seems based around a joke. He does seem to be defending it strongly, with lengthy posts, and lots of explaining etc, so is perhaps a bit nervous, which if inno, im not sure he would be when faced with such a case.

Apparently there is a dondarrion case around, so im gonna have a look for it.[/quote]

I'd agree to some extent that Glover has been overreacting to the case against him, especially considering the strength of the case (not very strong). It's placed him on my radar.

Is there a Dondarrion case? I can't recall one offhand.

[quote name='House Glover' post='1646079' date='Jan 12 2009, 15.50']Yet you hadn't pointed out that I was evil and his partner? Or have i just missed that case?

And yes, I do point it out too often for your liking. Perhaps that's because I have accused you of one of them? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I did not specifically say 'you are evil FM and Manwoody is your symp'. I assumed people would be savvy enough to read between the lines and realize that when I asked Manwoody why he didn't vote for you, and then added a vote to you (not Manwoody) until he explained himself, that people would get I thought you might be connected. Perhaps it was not as clear as I intended.

What do the rest of you think - was this a clear connection or was I too subtle?

And I don't like the fake symp/coaching being mentioned because it's not really an argument at all. It's a distracting tactic.

[quote name='House Reyne' post='1646088' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.55']You should be new here? when you click add quote you can see a link flash in yout status bar, this means its
quoted, multi quote any number of posts you want then click fast reply at the bottom of your screen.[/quote]

You learn something new every game.

Without commenting on how long i've been playing (be it years, months, weeks, or even just this game so far), I will say that i've always used copy and paste to notepad to get more than one quote on one post.

I still don't get exactly what you all mean, so will continue with my oldfashioned web 1.0 methods!

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1646096' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.59']What do the rest of you think - was this a clear connection or was I too subtle?

And I don't like the fake symp/coaching being mentioned because it's not really an argument at all. It's a distracting tactic.[/quote]

On the contrary, I feel that spotting coaching is a good way to tell we have two or more communicating players, which can obviously help find evil people. Fake symping can only net us a symp, but it's day one. I'll happily take a symp over an innocent.

[quote name='House Varner' post='1646037' date='Jan 12 2009, 20.16']This is the post I really don't like. I probably picked up on it as a bit of an OMGUS fillip. It essentially states that Pommingham thinks that someone else thought that I was going to get lynched, and therefore decided to keep me alive, to the point where he feels I would make a good day 2 lynch. I believe I have already pointed out that if this were the case then the person who did it is very foolish, and can't have played mafia before. I think other posts have been made by others, which point out how unlikely it is that this was a serious tactical decision.[/quote]

Your protection makes little sense from any perspective unless the role is forced to be used within the first few hours of the day. If the person using it was town then why even use it at all? Was he that sure of your own innocence after a few joke posts? Was he sure you were in serious day one danger? To me it makes more sense as an impulsive or rookie move than as a tactical decision, and as such could certainly be evil as well as good.

[quote]He then suggests that it would be overpowered for the evil team to have (which runs counter to his other points), yet still gets in a sneaky suggestion that the day 2 lynch has already been decided to be me.[/quote]

This was in the context of a discussion of whether a ringmaster role could prevent a lynch every day or not. We still don't know. If he could only use his power once then I don't think it would be overpowered for evil. Every day I kind of do. Regardless the mods said the roles were assigned randomly, so if there's an unbalancing role then it could go to either side.

[quote]In response to a dissuasive note from Dondarrion

I don't quite get this point. He wants to vote me tomorrow to see if [i]someone else[/i] is protected? Does this make any sense to anyone?[/quote]

You didn't read my posts properly. You must have skipped a page or something. I wanted to see if someone else was protected to know if the ringmaster role could act every day or not, lynching you would indeed not serve that particular purpose.

[quote]He then accused Glover, and through Glover, Manwoody, of being possible FMs. However, the quote of Glover on Manwoody (But I don't know, is it worth keeping Woody around just for the comical references? I mean, this IS the joke/rp/sexual innuendo stage, after all. How can we do anything without man-wood?) is remarkably similar to the punny first few posts by... Pommingham. I didn't really like that.[/quote]

Glover's comment came after a joke vote on Manwoody. It's not because it's a joke on Manwoody, it's because it's a defense. Now Manwoody wasn't really in need of a defense, but it could be a symp clue (even a partnership considering there's no CF). Of course this is rather inane, but it's day one. I haven't got anything better.

[quote]I don't think it's the greatest case, but I'm happy with it for day 1.[/quote]

Well I guess anything goes on day one...

And I find that practically all instances of players accused of being coached end up being non-sense. In my particular case, you think I laid out all of the elements of my suspicions against you and forgot to connect them? I'm done with this point. I won't take any case seriously that rests on coaching, or RP post construed as symp clues. Which means that I don't actually like the case Pommingham made against you, even though his vote is on you too.

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1646065' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.40']You mention 'fake symping' and 'coaching' far too often for my comfort.[/quote]

You know, I didn't think much of the early case on Glover, but I'm getting the same feeling now.

Especially this post:

[quote name='House Glover' post='1646051' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.31']That's the vote I was talking about, not the first one which was clearly just a joke post stage vote. you posted this, then later added actual reason to it.

edit:

What i meant to say and didn't get across without this edit perhaps, is why at this point did you vote for me with no public reason? I know you gave reasons after, but that could be once you was nudged to by a partner.[/quote]

Which was in reference to the following vote:

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1645827' date='Jan 12 2009, 08.48']Why did you focus on Erenford instead of one of the others who hadn't voted (or, had voted for Varner so looked like they hadn't voted) Glover was active around the time you posted this, so why not pressure him - someone who was actually around to notice and respond?

Please explain, and until then, my vote is on [b]Glover[/b][/quote]

Was there some earlier version of Bywater's second vote that I missed, with less reasoning in it perhaps?

Because the quoted post [i]does[/i] strongly imply an "actual reason". The reason being that it appeared that Manwoody seemed to be possibly diverting attention from Glover, and people who get attention diverted from them are more likely to be evil. The inference is obvious enough to not need to be spelled out in so many words. I didn't initially think it looked a whole lot like symping to me, could have been just laziness, but I knew what Bywater meant at least. Did anyone else see the vote as unexplained?

Glover's pushing the idea of "fake symping" so hard seems like an over reaction to the threat of real symping.

Thanks Pommy.

I think reading your posts in isolation (click on the guy's name, then find member posts) gave me a slightly off impression, and I think that my misunderstanding of one of your posts, coupled with a little bit of selfdefensiveness and reading out of context led me to a wrong conclusion. I'm not saying your off the hook completely ;) but I now understand your logic and don't see a problem with it.

[b] remove vote[/b]

It is day 1.

19 players remain: Blount, Brune, Bywater, Chester, Connington, Dondarrion, Erenford, Farring, Glover, Karstark, Mallister, Manwoody, Marbrand, Penrose, Pommingham, Poole, Reyne, Selmy, Varner.

10 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

5 votes for Glover ( Chester, Pommingham, Farring, Bywater, Reyne)
2 votes for Penrose ( Blount, Selmy)
1 vote for Bywater ( Marbrand)
1 vote for Chester ( Dondarrion)
1 vote for Dondarrion ( Glover)
1 vote for Erenford ( Karstark)
1 vote for Karstark ( Penrose)
1 vote for Poole ( Manwoody)
1 vote for Selmy ( Erenford)

5 players have not voted: Brune, Connington, Mallister, Poole, Varner.

[quote name='House Glover' post='1646123' date='Jan 12 2009, 16.18']I have to pop out in a minute, but when I get back (o'll be an hour or two, no more) I'kll re-read him and answer this. :)[/quote]

So you're waiting for your FM partners to come back online and give you advise, ok.

(See, it works both ways ;) )

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645973' date='Jan 12 2009, 20.38']Right you are. Actual opinion is being formatted as we speak. Before that's finished though, I'd just like to point out to Pommingham that the reason my attention is on the cult right now is that we can finish the cult off today. One kill and they are gone. The killers must have at least 2 players + a symp, probably more, so while I would take a killer today, I'd much rather get the cult leader given the choice.[/quote]

I am a little confused here, well all this sounds like a good argument, how exactly are you to be sure that we have gotten the cult and how do you know there is only one of them? I could have sworn that the rules said we have no CF.

Also [b]Glover[/b], you seem to have knowledge that none of us have and um... "One kill and they are gone." is that the 'killer' slip that you have been trying so hard to find?

OK, I'll be here for about ten more minutes. I currently plan on shifting my vote to Glover, not so much based on the arguments against him, but, as I said before, his reaction to receiving suspicion has been poor at best.

Having said that, I'm always loathe to remove high posters, but at the moment Glover looks like the only realistic lynch option.

For those voting Glover because he's the most realistic option, who is your second choice and why?

EDIT: actually, anyone voting for Glover, who is your second choice and why? Mine would be Poole. Nothing constructive so far. Would rather take out someone who might might be a low flyer later on. Has nothing to do with guilt, but rather getting a handle on the player. Marbrand and Erenford are also low posters (off the top of my head) but I feel I have at least a little more on those two. Anyone who hasn't contributed since the RP stage is also fair game ... Chester, Mallister - probably more I am forgetting.

I'm leaving my vote on Glover for the following reasons:

[quote name='House Glover' post='1644720' date='Jan 11 2009, 15.59']Aye, I smell a rat, [b]Dondarrion[/b]![/quote]

This is his 2nd overall post. Now-I don't know about you guys but when I think rats I think ships. Longships to be precise... but-this is just his 2nd post...

[quote name='House Glover' post='1644745' date='Jan 11 2009, 16.16']He could be joking, so i suggest we use a little test to find out?

What we do is hold him under water for five minutes. If he's still alive, we lynch him as a cultmaster!

It worked with Witches...[/quote]

Then here we are with Post #3. What an AMAZING follow up! So, he is now thinking about keeping someone under WATER to CLEANSE them... worked for witches indeed! We also have the first mention of Cultmaster.

[quote name='House Glover' post='1644754' date='Jan 11 2009, 16.24']I seriously doubt any of them weigh as much as a church![/quote]

Hmm... in response to a church being UNDER WATER... NICE one... and oh so subtle!

[quote name='House Glover' post='1644767' date='Jan 11 2009, 16.34']Do cults have symps? :-p[/quote]

What do you think? Who would it be if we had one?

[quote name='House Glover' post='1644831' date='Jan 11 2009, 17.21'][b]Varner[/b] has to go. I don't care if it was parody, but no-one, and I mean no-one, calls FotF a great work on my watch!

As a punishment, you shall be lynched, and then forced to read the bdsm scenes from Wizards First Rule in hell for the rest of eternity.[/quote]

OK, so here he goes after Varner... right or wrong, this post actually had me go back and put them together... and again-with the need for punishment and cleansing...

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645059' date='Jan 11 2009, 20.29']Looks to me like the whole earth covered in ocean.

Now who could possibly want that? eh?[/quote]

Uh... HELLO!!! Not a POOLE but a KRACKEN for sure!

[quote name='House Chester' post='1645169' date='Jan 11 2009, 22.39']Well, as the one who now leads they cry against Varner- Having given up on his previous dedication to the removal of Dondarrion - I smell a kettle of brackish sea water stewing in a kettle black...

[b]GLOVER[/b][/quote]

My comment might not have been spot on.. but it was what I meant

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645929' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.10']Okay, so it seems that the bulk while I was away was reaction to my "claim", and reaction to those reactions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that while attacking me on it is a little silly, it doesn't stink of evil to me. Evil are usually careful, and that is way too likely to blow up in your face. I'm not discounting a brainless moment from an evil player, but at the same time it's not going to count heavily against the people who somehow suspect me based on it.

However I do need to re-read the defenses of me. It's usually counter reactions that tell more than real reactions. If there's a symp in the game, now would be an excellent opportunity to fake symp me.

Give me an hour or so, as I have stuff around the house to do at the same time. :)[/quote]

He didn't take an hour or so... in fact he just kept on posting... and, it was the beginning of the pronouncements of innocence...

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645933' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.14'][b]Healer-finder sounds like a pretty nifty role for a badguy[/b]! Why would a goodguy want to find the healer? ;)[/quote]

Ummm... sure it does...

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645939' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.16']Up until when I left, i think i can count the serious posts in the game on one hand. Perhaps one finger.

And I like to post, what can I say? i'm a postaholic. That won't change just because the rp stage is over. I hope we won't have another silly debacle like a couple of games back, when there was a serious case on someone for "roleplaying too much"...[/quote]

And my guess is those serious posts were Yours!

The remaining posts were all noticed and commented on so I'll just say that I agree... Protesting too much makes you look quite guilty.

So-anyway.. there is my 'joke' case.

My radar is still up from the beginning for Dondarrion, but only because of Glover. A few more thoughts left to ferret out for others as well..

Archived