ADwD Mafia 61: Drowned Men, Krakens, and Maesters, oh my!

House Targaryen

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1646294' date='Jan 12 2009, 16.34']You've still made it look as if Bywater actually voted for you, which he didn't[/quote]

You're right, my apologies to Bywater, I replaced the bold with underline.

I was just trying to point out that inactivity during the day doesn't necessarily equal not trying, no matter how much I fail at typing.

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1646275' date='Jan 12 2009, 17.25']Marbrand: just enough to get by, makes a vague list of suspects that looks like contribution, but really isn't[/quote]

I would disagree. Not with the suspect list thing, but I was hoping people would do something similar that could lead to real discussions.

I don't think I've done just enough to get by. I wasn't able to post yesterday (sunday) but I forced time in my schedule so that I could pop in and post, which I did twice. I've been contributing today, but there hasn't been much of anything going on.

Maybe its just the way you I read "just enough to get by", as in I'm purposely doing so, but that's not the case. Almost every one of my posts today has contributed in some way.

Well, I haven't seen any evidence of you (Mallister) trying - I can only work with what I have.

What I was thinking with that list is that there is so little content, and such long periods of absences, that it seems like those players (you included) aren't particularly worried about the direction of the game at this point. It actually makes me feel better about you on a gut level for right now.

[i]ETA:clarity[/i]

I've been off doing my reread, please excuse me if I've missed recent developments. Here's my impressions so far.

Bywater: Leader type, seems innocent to me, as much as someone can on Day 1. I'll have to guard myself against being led around.

Manwoody: Possible links to Glover. Don't see much else suspicious. It sure would be a lot easier if there was a CF.

Reyne: I see this post as tipping the scale on Glover's train:

[quote name='House Reyne' post='1645995' date='Jan 12 2009, 10.54']Glover I have a problem with this post of yours. I dont like people when accused start putting themselves in the evil players shoes and talk about how would they play if they were actually evil or not, these kind of players mostly end up being actually evil.
another thing is your attitude since people started reacting to your claim, since then you have looked very nervous while they were only reactions and questions that needed some simple asnwers still it seems you try too hard to convince others.

Im prepared to vote for you bu I will wait for your answers.[/quote]

Since then, Reyne has stayed mostly quiet. If there were a CF and Glover turned up innocent, Reyne would get my hard scrutiny tomorrow for being an FM or Cultist taking the opportunity to get a bandwagon going.

Selmy: Started out too quiet, but I've liked his play since he came back.

Chester: His mostly RP case against Glover in post 260 is very annoying - the time for jokes about water and fish is past - but I don't see anything particular suspicious yet.

Varner: I'm ambivalent. His case against Pommingham seems overblown. His role playing was overblown, too. Quite possibly just his style. It's grating to me, but many players do that intentionally, in hopes of triggering mistakes.

Marbrand: Strikes me as parroting the majority opinion rather ineptly, especially here:

[quote name='House Marbrand' post='1646191' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.08']It is not looking good for Glover. There are too many slip-ups that can either be attributed to simple mistakes or, well, not so simple mistakes. Either way, those slip-ups are the best we have to go on now. Since he has 7 votes with 6 hours to go I'll hold my vote off of him for the time being.[/quote]

Glover has been accused mainly of overplaying the "people are defending me too much, they must be fake symping" card. While that may be the most suspicious behavior we have to go on for Day 1, it isn't the kind of lapse that usually gets called a "mistake" or "slip-up".

Erenford: Exactly the opposite of Marbrand, seems to be more of a contrarian. Has a good point about the Day 1 consensus. That's the sketchiest part about the case on Glover, the speed with which so many people piled on.

Connington, Pommingham: Bad vibes about both of these, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe just that I have trouble following their logic.

Karstark: I still think his preaching about going beyond RP to "serious discussion" falls flat in the light of his feeding OT book chit-chat over discussion of the ringmaster role and the Varner reprieve. But it's not any kind of flashing red light.

Poole: Too quiet, and I don't see anything he's said as constructive. So barring the possibility of a good role, he's either evil or dead weight. (My biggest fear with the "lynch low posters" strategy on day 1 is that it will hit a newbie innocent with a powerful role. Always a danger, but you can't give low posters a pass on that account.)

Mallister, Blount: No impression yet.

I guess if I were going to push a train other than Glover, it would be Poole. In fact, I think I'll do that, just to see what happens. I'll be around for the end of day, and can move to Glover if we need it to get a lynch.

[b]Poole[/b].

[quote name='House Erenford' post='1646234' date='Jan 12 2009, 15.52']I'm also very troubled that there has been no other viable lynch. Day 1 consensus scares me I guess. :uhoh:[/quote]

I agree with this. I've been busy as hell today, due to work. But even I can see that there are other things worth discussing right now.

I can see a few of the points against Glover. And I'll add another, that I haven't seen people discuss much - I hate how he pushed the book discussion early on day 1. It was a waste of time, and makes me wonder if he was padding his post count. But even if he's suspicious, that doesn't excuse the fact that people are acting as if he's the only possible lynch. It's lazy gameplay. We would have been much better served by setting up a few alternatives.

If I can make the time, I'm going to bring up a few other things worth discussing. So that we can at least attempt to get a bit more information out of the day.

I just read through Poole because of Penrose' post.

[quote name='Poole']At the risk of sounding like one of Glover's fake sympers. I don't think the case on him holds much water. (and i'm a poole I would know rofl2.gif sorry had to say it). I am in interested in [u]looking at the Dondorrian case[/u] though as I recall thinking he had a string of posts that didn't sit right.[/quote]

I don't like that he's agreeing with the "fake symper" theory, which I think is a pretty desperate facade trying to get pressure off of Glover.

Also, I'm curious as to why two inactive people I've quoted now have both stated they'd look at Dondarrian only to completely discard that comment.

In all, I think Poole is playing more like an inexperienced player than an evil player, though there's a tiny possibility that Poole and Blount could be teamed and are irresponsibly trying to pull the same shit.

Right now I'd love to hit you all with a case that will swing the day, but after re-reading Pommingham, all I can say is that while he hasn't said alot, I can't see any huge holes in what he has said, he hasn't come off as particularly scummy to me, and I'd only lynch him in order to avoid swinging myself.

It is day 1.

19 players remain: Blount, Brune, Bywater, Chester, Connington, Dondarrion, Erenford, Farring, Glover, Karstark, Mallister, Manwoody, Marbrand, Penrose, Pommingham, Poole, Reyne, Selmy, Varner.

10 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

7 votes for Glover ( Chester, Pommingham, Farring, Reyne, Poole, Connington, Varner)
2 votes for Penrose ( Blount, Selmy)
2 votes for Poole ( Manwoody, Penrose)
1 vote for Chester ( Dondarrion)
1 vote for Dondarrion ( Glover)
1 vote for Erenford ( Karstark)
1 vote for Selmy ( Erenford)

4 players have not voted: Brune, Bywater, Mallister, Marbrand.

wow. I really had no idea the Glover vote would bring so much attention. I am glad I did it. I had no real reason, as I said in my original post other than a dislike of fake role claims.

Glover's reactions and those of other players have given us a great deal of information. I am comfortable with my vote on Glover.

Right. So [b]Poole[/b] has been put forward as a low post compromise? I read him, and, well, he's contributed exactly nothing. He's promised to look at someone then failed to deliver. Constantly tells us he's off for a bit and will be back later...

The only problem is even if we get a guilty result on him (via someone with the CF power) what do we do from there, we have no real links from him.

Still, I think he's the only person I'm likely to see hang over than me. I should probably check Penrose in a few minutes too, as he's also on a whole 2 votes!:p

Okay, re-read penrose and come up with nothing. He has been pretty aggressive, without being the first you think of when asked to come up with leaders, so I guess he half falls into CB, but then this is day 1 so i'm really not sure how much that applies.He's in an ideal position to be converted by the cult, but again that's no reason to hang him.

Nah. I'm out of ideas on this one. Again, I'll only hang penrose if it means surviving myself, as i know i'm innocent, while i don't know if he is. :-p

The only reason I'm not putting a vote on Poole right now is that he said he's not going to be back before go-time and therefore putting pressure on him would have no effect. I also think that anyone who acts like that likely won't be a lethal killer (at least on day one) and if he continues to be a low poster tomorrow he'll be kill fodder anyways.

I'm going to go ahead and vote [b]Glover[/b].

Okay, so the first thing I want to go back to is the book discussion. It was annoying. But more importantly, it brought 2 players to my attention - Karstark and Pommingham. They both looked as if they were making a concerted effort to fit in with the flow of the conversation.

[quote name='Karstark']Seems like we are some kind of alted literature thread. Well I suppose I may as well go along with it - I've bought for myself an Abercrombie book which I am reading at the moment - I'm quite enjoying it so far, but I wouldn't say that it is superbly amazing (but then I'm not really a big fantasy fan anyway)[/quote]

[quote name='Pomm']I'm currently reading Zelazny's Amber chronicles. So far I'm not liking the main character (Corwin) too much, which is a bit annoying.[/quote]

Made me feel as if they were trying to blend in. I especially didn't like Karstark's "I suppose I may as well go along with it" comment.

It is day 1.

19 players remain: Blount, Brune, Bywater, Chester, Connington, Dondarrion, Erenford, Farring, Glover, Karstark, Mallister, Manwoody, Marbrand, Penrose, Pommingham, Poole, Reyne, Selmy, Varner.

10 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

8 votes for Glover ( Chester, Pommingham, Farring, Reyne, Poole, Connington, Varner, Mallister)
3 votes for Poole ( Manwoody, Penrose, Glover)
2 votes for Penrose ( Blount, Selmy)
1 vote for Chester ( Dondarrion)
1 vote for Erenford ( Karstark)
1 vote for Selmy ( Erenford)

3 players have not voted: Brune, Bywater, Marbrand.

Archived