ADwD Mafia 61: Drowned Men, Krakens, and Maesters, oh my!

House Targaryen

[quote name='House Varner' post='1645734' date='Jan 12 2009, 08.32']This Mallister vote is pretty useless, but I don't see any case that actually appeals to me, even on a day one level, at this point.[/quote]

Then [i]do[/i] something. Reread, post thoughts, assemble cases. If we all do some RPing and then sit around and tell each other that nothing suspicious has happened yet, then we can never get anywhere. If you can't find [i]anything[/i] suspicious in other people's posts, then do something suspicious yourself and hope someone will pick up on it and get some discussion going. Sorry, but I'm just frustrated cos I don't have time to do anything other than catch up and make a quick flyby post every so often today, so I know I am being a hypocrite.

[quote name='House Penrose' post='1645774' date='Jan 12 2009, 09.01']Now, there may not be a [i]whole[/i] lot we can learn from this protection bestowal, but it is still likely to be a more productive vein to mine for game information than continued book discussion would be. So it seems suspicious to me that [b]Karstark[/b] appears to be trying to keep us from going there.[/quote]

Meh, talk about it if you want. I just thought there might be more fruitful discussion to be had. Which is what has begun to happen now, so I am happy.

[quote name='House Manwoody' post='1645495' date='Jan 12 2009, 06.54']Bywater,

a) What is a ringmaster type role? Just someone who stops others geting lynched?

b) Why do you assume that it's a throwaway thing? We shouldn't discount the possibility that there's a good reason for it, although you're right that it does seem more likely at this stage in the game.[/quote]

These have mostly been covered, but a ringmaster gets to name a person to be unlynchable the next day, normally a night action but on Day 1 is often bestowed early in the day. That's why I think it was a throwaway - not the role, but who the role protected.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1645807' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.31']Then [i]do[/i] something. Reread, post thoughts, assemble cases. If we all do some RPing and then sit around and tell each other that nothing suspicious has happened yet, then we can never get anywhere. If you can't find [i]anything[/i] suspicious in other people's posts, then do something suspicious yourself and hope someone will pick up on it and get some discussion going. Sorry, but I'm just frustrated cos I don't have time to do anything other than catch up and make a quick flyby post every so often today, so I know I am being a hypocrite.[/quote]

Oh, we have one of those in the game. People who think that everyone needs to be told exactly how to play the game. Including telling me I should do something suspicious because in my reading so far I haven't found anything suspicious enough to vote for. I don't just read other people's cases. If I find something I deem suspicious, I'll put it forward. You play your game the way you want to, I will too.

I'm off for a bit.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1645807' date='Jan 12 2009, 16.31']Then [i]do[/i] something. Reread, post thoughts, assemble cases. If we all do some RPing and then sit around and tell each other that nothing suspicious has happened yet, then we can never get anywhere.[/quote]Good day, mister Kettle.
Well, I can understand come people being busy and posting barely nothing... but when such a person does accuse higher poster of not doing enough, I start worrying.
Karstark, you aren't in proper position to pressure other players.

[quote name='House Varner' post='1645816' date='Jan 12 2009, 09.40']Oh, we have one of those in the game. People who think that everyone needs to be told exactly how to play the game.[/quote]

Well, Piper isn't playing, so someone has to fill the gap, right?

Anyway, like I said, I'm sorry for snapping at you, I'm really just frustrated at my own lack of time.

Does the ringmaster normally have to use the role each day, or can they skip it if they find nobody worth protecting?

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1645807' date='Jan 12 2009, 08.31']Then [i]do[/i] something. Reread, post thoughts, assemble cases. If we all do some RPing and then sit around and tell each other that nothing suspicious has happened yet, then we can never get anywhere. If you can't find [i]anything[/i] suspicious in other people's posts, then do something suspicious yourself and hope someone will pick up on it and get some discussion going. Sorry, but I'm just frustrated cos I don't have time to do anything other than catch up and make a quick flyby post every so often today, so I know I am being a hypocrite.

[i]quote of my vote[/i]

Meh, talk about it if you want. I just thought there might be more fruitful discussion to be had. Which is what has begun to happen now, so I am happy.[/quote]

Agree with your first paragraph. It just seems odd to me that if you felt it was time to get past role play, your first order of action was to amp up the book discussion.

Manwoody makes a good point here, though, and I may move my vote to Poole or Selmy if we don't hear something more substantial from them soon:

[quote name='House Manwoody' post='1645772' date='Jan 12 2009, 08.00']So I just re-read Poole, mainly because I thought Targ had missed Poole's vote. I was being stupid, but never mind that.

But Poole has only 2 posts, and one of those was to jump on the biggest lynch target, moving Varner up to 4 votes. I don't like it, so i'm going to vote for [b]Poole[/b]. At least unless Poole starts to contribute more.[/quote]

[quote name='House Manwoody' post='1645498' date='Jan 12 2009, 07.00'][b]Erenford.[/b]

Hurry up and vote. :pirate:[/quote]

Why did you focus on Erenford instead of one of the others who hadn't voted (or, had voted for Varner so looked like they hadn't voted) Glover was active around the time you posted this, so why not pressure him - someone who was actually around to notice and respond?

Please explain, and until then, my vote is on [b]Glover[/b]

I thought that's what it would be, Manwoody. Predictable and unproductive.

Pressuring a house to vote or post or whatever doesn't really work if they aren't around to see it. Glover was active around the time you posted that and had one of the higher post counts. If you really wanted people to place votes, then Glover was your best bet at that time. It seems as if you weren't really putting thought into who to apply pressure to. A low poster is a very safe place to sink a vote.

[quote name='House Erenford' post='1645797' date='Jan 12 2009, 10.20']Looking through last night's posts, this one seems rather odd to me.

I mean, perhaps I am misreading, but it sounds like it is intended as a serious vote to me. Granted, I know there's not much to go on early in day 1, but that's really stretching things. It seems like [b]Selmy[/b] is trying to sound serious and contributive without actually contributing anything.[/quote]

Yeah, my awesome case against Penrose consisted of "he's an evil loser." I was pretty certain you were all going to follow along, and frankly, I'm shocked that nobody else jumped on board. What the hell. :mad:

My questions were real, but my vote wasn't a serious attempt to get Penrose lynched. It was to get his attention, to make sure he answered. I was gathering information.

But now I'm curious. You claim that I was trying to act as if I was contributing, without actually saying anything of importance. So are you saying that you weren't at all interested in Penrose's answer to my question?

[quote name='House Erenford' post='1645850' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.07']Eh, it just didn't sound like he was trying to be funny to me.[/quote]

There are more things you can do on day 1, then just 1) joke around, or 2) construct serious cases and try to get people lynched. :rolleyes:

In fact, I'd argue that most of day 1 should consist of neither of those 2 things.

[quote name='House Connington' post='1645421' date='Jan 12 2009, 01.58'][b]Bywater[/b], how on earth did you miss the fact that Targ who edited the post.....
I smell mackerel![/quote]

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1645423' date='Jan 12 2009, 02.11']Sorry, I guess the 'edited by house Reyne' and the fact that there was an ETA note by him threw me. Oh, and his confession. Don't forget that. :P

And you knew it was Targ by ... special god given gifts? Say, an insight from a slightly damp deity, hmmm [b]Connington[/b]?[/quote]

Connington, did you ever respond to this? I'd be interested in knowing why you thought Targ had edited Reyne's post, when it clearly says that it was done by Reyne.

[quote name='House Farring' post='1645593' date='Jan 12 2009, 08.22']I hate fake role claims one day one.

Of course it is fake, there was absolutely no reason to reaveal this on day one.

[b]Vote Glover.[/b] Like you get a choice when people try to lynch you.[/quote]

Less the fact I had no reason to reveal it, more the fact it is overpowered and would break any game it was included in?

If the role I "revealed" is real, I give up on mafia. Seriously. :-p

Okay, so it seems that the bulk while I was away was reaction to my "claim", and reaction to those reactions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that while attacking me on it is a little silly, it doesn't stink of evil to me. Evil are usually careful, and that is way too likely to blow up in your face. I'm not discounting a brainless moment from an evil player, but at the same time it's not going to count heavily against the people who somehow suspect me based on it.

However I do need to re-read the defenses of me. It's usually counter reactions that tell more than real reactions. If there's a symp in the game, now would be an excellent opportunity to fake symp me.

Give me an hour or so, as I have stuff around the house to do at the same time. :)

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645912' date='Jan 12 2009, 09.58']Less the fact I had no reason to reveal it, more the fact it is overpowered and would break any game it was included in?

If the role I "revealed" is real, I give up on mafia. Seriously. :-p[/quote]

I don't think Farring was stating that you expected anyone to take your "claim" seriously, just that he hates that particular type of horseplay enough to deem it worthy of a punishment vote.

Like, if I had responded to you with "Yeah, right, and I'm a bulletproof healer-finder :P", then I might have earned his vote instead.

[quote name='House Penrose' post='1645930' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.11']I don't think Farring was stating that you expected anyone to take your "claim" seriously, just that he hates that particular type of horseplay enough to deem it worthy of a punishment vote.

Like, if I had responded to you with "Yeah, right, and I'm a bulletproof healer-finder :P", then I might have earned his vote instead.[/quote]

Healer-finder sounds like a pretty nifty role for a badguy! Why would a goodguy want to find the healer? ;)

But seriously, perhaps. Pretty bizarre all the same, but doesn't really change my opinion on the whole matter, which is posted below the post you quoted / just above this one :P

edit: For a typo

[quote name='House Bywater' post='1645934' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.14']Your last post was the first serious post you have made all day Glover, despite being one of the top posters. I am very interested in what you have to find in your re-read.[/quote]

Up until when I left, i think i can count the serious posts in the game on one hand. Perhaps one finger.

And I like to post, what can I say? i'm a postaholic. That won't change just because the rp stage is over. I hope we won't have another silly debacle like a couple of games back, when there was a serious case on someone for "roleplaying too much"...

Archived