ADwD Mafia 61: Drowned Men, Krakens, and Maesters, oh my!

House Targaryen

The worst thing? Even with all the preachy lectures in the books, I would have forgiven it if he'd actually unleashed all the power RR supposedly had in an epic war scene. Instead he makes an overpowered character then proceeds to gimp him in one way or another in every book!

I like my overpowered characters to only be gimped when an even more powerful one steps on their toes! :-p

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645507' date='Jan 12 2009, 06.15']Nah, the series literally ends with "And they all lived happily ever after."[/quote]

:tantrum:

Glover!

Haven't you ever heard of spoilers?!?

It's lucky for you that Goodkind is so predictable, otherwise I'd rip your spine out.

So...not much has happened since I checked in yesterday, eh?

Seems like we are some kind of alted literature thread. Well I suppose I may as well go along with it - I've bought for myself an Abercrombie book which I am reading at the moment - I'm quite enjoying it so far, but I wouldn't say that it is superbly amazing (but then I'm not really a big fantasy fan anyway)

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645518' date='Jan 12 2009, 11.39']Guilty as charged.[/quote]

A nice early confession. I like it. :smoking:

[quote name='House Karstark']Seems like we are some kind of alted literature thread.[/quote]

I tried to get some serious discussion going, but nobody seems interested.

Abercrombie's first book is nothing special. Unusually for fantasy authors, however, he gets better as the series goes on.

[quote name='House Manwoody' post='1645524' date='Jan 12 2009, 04.47']I tried to get some serious discussion going, but nobody seems interested.[/quote]

About Varner's lynchproofness, you mean?

Trouble is, short of a reveal, which would most likely be very inadvisable, there's not much we can find out. Varner seems to have implied that it wasn't anything he chose, so logically it was either random or he was protected by someone. We have been told that roles are distributed randomly, (I seem to remember reading this in a mod post) so it would seem that Varner's inability to be lynched today gives us little real information.

Now if you want to get some serious conversation going about something a bit more...controversial...then that would be a good idea. I would, but I don't have time today.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1645530' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.57']About Varner's lynchproofness, you mean?

Trouble is, short of a reveal, which would most likely be very inadvisable, there's not much we can find out. Varner seems to have implied that it wasn't anything he chose, so logically it was either random or he was protected by someone. We have been told that roles are distributed randomly, (I seem to remember reading this in a mod post) so it would seem that Varner's inability to be lynched today gives us little real information.

Now if you want to get some serious conversation going about something a bit more...controversial...then that would be a good idea. I would, but I don't have time today.[/quote]

[b]Remove Vote[/b]

Let the serious discussion begin! Has anyone come across a specific day lynchproof ability before and if so, do the mods tell you they can't be lynched? If not, then I think someone has used a role reveal ability.

[quote name='House Karstark' post='1645522' date='Jan 12 2009, 12.44']Seems like we are some kind of alted literature thread. Well I suppose I may as well go along with it - I've bought for myself an Abercrombie book which I am reading at the moment - I'm quite enjoying it so far, but I wouldn't say that it is superbly amazing (but then I'm not really a big fantasy fan anyway)[/quote]

I'm currently reading Zelazny's Amber chronicles. So far I'm not liking the main character (Corwin) too much, which is a bit annoying.

As far as "seriousness" goes I think Chester implied that his vote on Glover was for hopping from Dondarrion to Varner (trying to push a popular lynch?). I put a vote on Glover myself, but he doesn't seem too put off by it.

[quote name='House Brune' post='1645560' date='Jan 12 2009, 13.50'][b]Remove Vote[/b]

Let the serious discussion begin! Has anyone come across a specific day lynchproof ability before and if so, do the mods tell you they can't be lynched? If not, then I think someone has used a role reveal ability.[/quote]

Yes, yes and yes. I think someone mentioned the ringmaster role from an old "everybody gets a role" game. Anyway, it's normally limited, because protecting someone from a lynch everyday is pretty hardcore. Imagine a symp or a partnered bad guy getting the role. If the role is indeed limited then whoever got it must have just thought Varner was fun and protected him? Or maybe they thought he was in serious danger of being lynched and they wanted him alive for darker reasons? I wouldn't mind lynching him tomorrow, if we can.

[quote name='House Pommingham' post='1645565' date='Jan 12 2009, 07.56']Yes, yes and yes. I think someone mentioned the ringmaster role from an old "everybody gets a role" game. Anyway, it's normally limited, because protecting someone from a lynch everyday is pretty hardcore. Imagine a symp or a partnered bad guy getting the role. If the role is indeed limited then whoever got it must have just thought Varner was fun and protected him? Or maybe they thought he was in serious danger of being lynched and they wanted him alive for darker reasons? I wouldn't mind lynching him tomorrow, if we can.[/quote]

So you're taking this as a serious thing? :unsure:

I think it must be a day 1 only ability, because otherwise there is no way someone would use it when I was not seriously under threat of being lynched, regardless of whether I was being symped or protected from RP votes.

*narrows eyes*

[quote name='House Glover' post='1645483' date='Jan 12 2009, 06.27']My role is unconvertible bulletproof soldier, with a 3 shot lynch proof i'm saving for end game. ;)[/quote]

I hate fake role claims one day one.

Of course it is fake, there was absolutely no reason to reaveal this on day one.

[b]Vote Glover.[/b] Like you get a choice when people try to lynch you.

[quote name='House Pommingham' post='1645565' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.56']I'm currently reading Zelazny's Amber chronicles. So far I'm not liking the main character (Corwin) too much, which is a bit annoying.

As far as "seriousness" goes I think Chester implied that his vote on Glover was for hopping from Dondarrion to Varner (trying to push a popular lynch?). I put a vote on Glover myself, but he doesn't seem too put off by it.

Yes, yes and yes. I think someone mentioned the ringmaster role from an old "everybody gets a role" game. Anyway, it's normally limited, because protecting someone from a lynch everyday is pretty hardcore. Imagine a symp or a partnered bad guy getting the role. If the role is indeed limited then whoever got it must have just thought Varner was fun and protected him? Or maybe they thought he was in serious danger of being lynched and they wanted him alive for darker reasons? I wouldn't mind lynching him tomorrow, if we can.[/quote]

But by lynching him tomorrow we play into the hands of whatever git decided/was forced to use their power...
oh and [b]Pommington[/b], stop being so gullible :P

[quote name='House Pommingham' post='1645565' date='Jan 12 2009, 12.56']I think someone mentioned the ringmaster role from an old "everybody gets a role" game. Anyway, it's normally limited, because protecting someone from a lynch everyday is pretty hardcore. Imagine a symp or a partnered bad guy getting the role.[/quote]It isn't normally limited. In fact, I don't remember a single example of this role being limited. Ringmaster just can't choose same target for two days in row.

And, [b]Karstark[/b], if we will fail to found anything slightly suspicious, you should be default lynch, as lowest poster.

[quote name='House Farring' post='1645593' date='Jan 12 2009, 06.22']I hate fake role claims one day one.

Of course it is fake, there was absolutely no reason to reaveal this on day one.

[b]Vote Glover.[/b] Like you get a choice when people try to lynch you.[/quote]

I can't tell what you are saying here. Could you please clarify?

Clearly Glover was just making a joke, so are you seriously making a point about it?

[quote name='House Dondarrion' post='1645602' date='Jan 12 2009, 06.31']It isn't normally limited. In fact, I don't remember a single example of this role being limited. Ringmaster just can't choose same target for two days in row.

And, [b]Karstark[/b], if we will fail to found anything slightly suspicious, you should be default lynch, as lowest poster.[/quote]

Yep I agree with this, so I am hoping the evilz will reveal themselves today. :)

ETA: although there are 4 players with fewer posts than me currently

Archived