MMA 2009

Ser Barry

As I recall, the Burns/Johnson fight didn't have much to do with rules regarding eye pokes, it was the athletic commission's inability to overturn referee decisions. Mazzagatti had called a TKO because he didn't see the poke. Regarding Smith/Lawler, I think it's fairly normal for a fight to be ruled a NC if one fighter can't continue due to an accidental foul. The Cro Cop/Overeem fight was ruled a NC after Cro Cop could not continue due to an accidental groin strike.

I don't know anything about the Couture/Belfort fight, but so far, the only difference I can see between eye pokes and any other foul is the rest period, which is odd.

[quote name='Oorag' post='1654334' date='Jan 19 2009, 14.57']As I recall, the Burns/Johnson fight didn't have much to do with rules regarding eye pokes, it was the athletic commission's inability to overturn referee decisions. Mazzagatti had called a TKO because he didn't see the poke. Regarding Smith/Lawler, I think it's fairly normal for a fight to be ruled a NC if one fighter can't continue due to an accidental foul. The Cro Cop/Overeem fight was ruled a NC after Cro Cop could not continue due to an accidental groin strike.

I don't know anything about the Couture/Belfort fight, but so far, the only difference I can see between eye pokes and any other foul is the rest period, which is odd.[/quote]

In the Couture fight it wasn't an illegal blow, hence it was ruled a TKO. There was no eye poke. The side of the glove caught him in the eye.

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1654350' date='Jan 19 2009, 15.05']In the Couture fight it wasn't an illegal blow, hence it was ruled a TKO. There was no eye poke. The side of the glove caught him in the eye.[/quote]
That's right, my bad. It's hard to remember cause it caused such a similar injury, but you're right, now that I remember correctly. Scratch that one.

Come to think of it , the Scott Smith eye injury wasn't the result of a poke either. Scratch two.

One place concerning the Johnson/Burns fight where the commission and the rule structure definitely needs to take blame is even allowing a fighter who can't make a fist to clear the pre-fight physical. That should be basic enough.

[quote name='Horus-SpiderObama' post='1654510' date='Jan 19 2009, 16.49']That's right, my bad. It's hard to remember cause it caused such a similar injury, but you're right, now that I remember correctly. Scratch that one.

Come to think of it , the Scott Smith eye injury wasn't the result of a poke either. Scratch two.

One place concerning the Johnson/Burns fight where the commission and the rule structure definitely needs to take blame is even allowing a fighter who can't make a fist to clear the pre-fight physical. That should be basic enough.[/quote]

In the Smith/Lawler fight it was an eye poke, hence the NC instead of the TKO.

[quote name='Horus-SpiderObama' post='1654510' date='Jan 19 2009, 14.49']One place concerning the Johnson/Burns fight where the commission and the rule structure definitely needs to take blame is even allowing a fighter who can't make a fist to clear the pre-fight physical. That should be basic enough.[/quote]
Burns could make a fist, but his hand was prone to breaking if he threw punches. It was his choice to try to throw palm-strikes to avoid a break. In their rematch, he was throwing punches as I recall, either because his hand had healed up or because he just didn't want to risk another poke.

I remember in a pre fight interview Burns said the bones in his hand had fused and he was able to throw punches instead of palm strikes again.

Eye pokes aren't subject to a particular rest period. Groin strikes you can recover from with a breather, which is why they are the ONLY injury where you get a five minute recoup time. Not so with an eye injury. If the ref is worried about it after he calls the foul, he throws it to the doctor who will stop it if he feels necessary. Other than that its time to get at it. If the fighter indicates at any time that he can't see the ref is supposed to kill it then and there too, IIRC.

Yeah benderschweiz, I've always figured that the first fight I'll see is more likely to be in Ohio than anywhere in Canada. I believe it's actually a shorter drive from me to Columbus, but I'm not sure. Jackson/Jardine? Where did that come from? All the talk was it'd be Jackson as the first title defense for Evans. At any rate, I got Jackson on that one.

Word now is it's Liddel/Rua to headline the April Montreal card. Not sure how I feel about that fight after seeing Rua gas out against Coleman. Before that fight I'd have given it to Shogun. Now, not so sure.

[quote name='GSP' post='1654999' date='Jan 20 2009, 09.49']Yeah benderschweiz, I've always figured that the first fight I'll see is more likely to be in Ohio than anywhere in Canada. I believe it's actually a shorter drive from me to Columbus, but I'm not sure. Jackson/Jardine? Where did that come from? All the talk was it'd be Jackson as the first title defense for Evans. At any rate, I got Jackson on that one.[/quote]

Machida vs Silva is the co-main to one of the biggest fights of all time. I reckon the winner is being set up for a title shot. Jackson, if he wins, gets the next shot after that.

Liddell vs Shogun is one of the few viable attractive fights left for Chuck. From what we saw on Saturday I go for Chuck to catch Shogun eventually. Don't underestimate how much money Chuck makes the UFC and his fights will be selected to try and extend his career as long as possible.

Shogun is a bit of a wild card. Granted Chuck hasn't looked nearly as bad even in losses as Shogun did in that win over Coleman, but I just can't help but think that he's due for a breakout performance, granted that he has any personal pride left. Chuck is certainly beatable, but I've gotta question if Shogun is just cashing checks on his way out the door. I wish that Shogun would move his training camp to ATT or some American-based camp, but Anderson Silva seems to do fine training in Brazil. Then again noone can question [i]his[/i] work ethic. That certainly ain't true for Shogun. This is a real gut-check time for Shogun bc if he wants any chance at regaining his stature he simply has to not only beat Chuck but stop him. Otherwise he may be going back to Brazil permanently.

[quote name='GSP' post='1654999' date='Jan 20 2009, 01.49']Eye pokes aren't subject to a particular rest period. Groin strikes you can recover from with a breather, which is why they are the ONLY injury where you get a five minute recoup time.[/quote]
Really? Because I believe I remember a fight in which a fighter got kneed in the head while both fighters were grounded, and the referee broke them up and gave the victim five minutes to rest. I remember because the blow was completely inconsequential, and the victim seemed a little confused that he was being given an opportunity to "rest" from a blow that did virtually no damage. He definitely would not have been confused if he'd just been kicked in the junk. Completely forget what fight or event it was.

Not sure what fight that was you saw, but I'm almost positive the rules are such that the groin strike is the only foul that gives you the five minutes. I could be wrong though. Or the ref overseeing the event may have been unclear what the rules were and did his own thing, which often happens in MMA. I believe that in a situation where someone gets a knee of kick to the head while they are down the match should be stopped, result of the foul determined (based on whether or not it was intentional) and if the fighter fouled can go on, re started from the feet, and if he can't go on the match is ruled a no contest or goes to the cards (depending on which round the foul happens IIRC).

Anyone see UFC prime time last night?

To sum up the position from BJ's camp GSP's a great athlete but BJ's a real fighter blah blah blah. You know, GSP, the guy dominating one of the most competitive divisions in the premiere MMA league and captured the belt twice, would be really great at track and field or something but really isn't made to be a fighter. Studied martial arts his whole life, used to bounce a lot, most likely been in his share of street fights, dynamically finishes world class fighters or beats their face into hamburger (a la Fitch), but isn't really a fighter. Blah blah blah. I wonder then, who besides BJ is a 'real' or 'natural' fighter?

Sick of the shit talk leading into this one. Enough of the mind games, fight already. Might not hear too much more though. I read BJ pulled the plug on the taping of his camp after being none too pleased with how he's been portrayed by the series so far. Can't say I blame him. It hasn't been flattering, and I'm guessing Zuffa's editing has a lot to do with that. I cannot possible conceive that BJ's slacking and taking this one lightly. That would be an epic level of hubris even for the prodigy.

Word had it that Penn ended his interview for the second episode after 8 minutes and refused to continue his cooperation with the show due to the way he was being portrayed. Not sure if that rumor was confirmed or busted by last night's episode. We certainly got a lot more from GSP's side than BJ's. Basically we saw the case for GSP as the unstoppable leviathan of the welterweight division, and BJ's family.

yep, that's as good a summary as any.

Weird family though man. Who gives all their kids the same name for 'family unity'. Sharing a surname aint enough for that I guess. Everyone ends up having to get their own nickname to differentiate them, so what's the point?

If next week's episode is all GSP we'll know the status of those rumours for sure. Good for Bj if it's true. Somebodies gotta have the sac not to play by Dana's rules all the time (assuming the editing hasn't given Penn a fair shake, of which I'm almost certain). Wonder if we've the start of another 'contract dispute' in the makings. I hope not. If he costs the UFC Penn I'd hope the Zuffa crew would put Dana's head on a pike for it. Sick of seeing elite level fighters frozen out of the org cause White's gotta show everyone how big a stick he swings.

[quote]Who gives all their kids the same name for 'family unity'.[/quote]George Foreman for one. Kimbo "Kevin Ferguson" Slice toyed with the idea, naming his kids Kevin Jr, Kevin II, Kevlar, Kevina, Kassandra, and Kiara. Though to be fair, I suspect those are both results of narcissisum rather than family unity.

Anyway, what are the picks for Affliction 2?

Fedor Emelianenko vs. [b]Andrei Arlovski[/b] - Going out on a limb and saying that Arlovski will run hotter than ever this time and outstrike Fedor on the feet en route to a shock TKO. It worked for Mir.

[b]Josh Barnett [/b]vs. Gilbert Yvel - Yvel is lucky he was even allowed in the ring with Barnett. He'll get taken down and outclassed rather easily, as long as he doesn't foul himself out first.

[b]Renato Sobral [/b]vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou - Apparently Sokoudjou's secret is out. I'm not a huge Babalu fan, but unless Soko has made some significant improvements, I don't see why Babalu can't just outlast Soko.

[b]Matt Lindland [/b]vs. Vitor Belfort - Lindland will hold him down for a decision.

Paul Buentello vs. [b]Kirill Sidelnikov[/b] - Never been impressed with Buentello, especially in the previous Affliction. Baby Fedor hasn't beaten any big names and certainly won't live up to his preposterous nickname, but hopefully he'll turn into something that's better than Buentello.

[b]Dan Lauzon [/b]vs. Bobby Green - Horodecki is out. BOO! Lauzon looked like the real deal when I saw him on TapouT, so I'll give him the nod over Green, a young nobody with very short notice.

[b]Jay Hieron [/b]vs. Jason High - Haven't seen either fight, honestly. High is undefeated against nobodies, and Hieron hasn't actually defeated anyone I've ever heard of, but I'll give the edge to Hieron because at least he's a bigger name and has been fighting in larger promotions. Plus, his actual name is Hieronymous. How cool is that?

[b]Vladimir Matyushenko[/b] vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira - Not really all that impressed by Nog the Lesser, and I think now is the Janitor's time to shine.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. [b]Andrei Arlovski[/b] - Arlovski is one of the few HW more athletic than Fedor. I think he'll bloody Fedor up quite a bit and manage a KO or TKO. I'm not all that confident that the Red Devil Fight team is up to todays standards for high level MMA teams, which seems to be becoming more and more important.

[b]Josh Barnett [/b] vs. Gilbert Yvel - To bad Affliction couldn't find someone decent for Barnett. Guess they're holding out for another 1 vs. 2 at HW card.

[b]Renato Sobral[/b] vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou - Wouldn't mind seeing Babalu back in the UFC if he's gotten his act together. Sokoudjou has shown nothing recently and his two big wins were very quick KOs.

[b]Matt Lindland[/b] vs. Vitor Belfort - Belfor will lose to Lindland pretty much the same exact way he lost to Hendo.

[b]Fedor[/b] vs Arlovski
I can't get past Arlovski's shaky chin. I think this is a KO/TKO 2nd round.

[b]Barnett[/b] vs Yvel
Looks like a mismatch

[b]Belfort[/b] vs Lindland
I am keeping the faith in Victor and I go for a big KO.

[b]Babalu[/b] vs Sokodjou

Buentello vs [b]Sidilnikov[/b]

[b]Fedor[/b] vs Arlovski
How much Arlovski's boxing has improved under Roach will be telling in this one. Sambo vs Sambo, interesting, tricky choice for this one.

[b]Barnett[/b] vs Yvel
Ditto the mismatch. Barnett should coast in this one

[b]Belfort[/b] vs Lindland
I see Belfort continuing the comeback in a 2nd or 3rd round TKO

[b]Babalu[/b] vs Sokodjou
This is probably Sok's last chance to really save any type of reputation as an elite fighter. He looked really bad in the UFC, but an upset over Babalu could cure all ills. That said, This one will probably end early regardless of who wins.

Buentello vs [b]Sidilnikov[/b]
Please put Paul Buentello away for good,

[b]Fedor[/b] vs Arlovski: Although Arlovski is nowhere near the underdog the betting lines have him at. Toughest call. Gonna be a barn burner however it goes down.

[b]Barnett[/b] vs Yvel: Throw some money on Yvel and if he does pull of the upset, you'll be rich. He's a high underdog for good reason though

[b]Belfort[/b] vs Lindland: Lindland hasn't impressed me as of late. Belfort has been looking 'on' lately.

Babalu vs [b]Sokodjou[/b]: Don't really believe this one, but I'd like to see Sokodjou show in good form and nobody else has chosen him.

[b]Buentello[/b] vs Sidilnikov: Sidilnikov is stepping way up in competition here according to Bas Rueten. I'll take his word for it. Buentello did not look great in his last bout with Affliction but he's generally a threat to take off anybody's head.

Archived