April 2009

Larry.

-Myshkin

I keep hearing mixed things about some 3 of Pyr's new offerings by Tom Lloyd, Matthew Sturges and James Enge. I need to get to them sometime and see for myself, but for every positve thing I hear, there is an opinion like yours (or two).

Same here. Lloyd has been published in the UK for a couple of years now, his stuff sounds like something I might like, and I'll generally order from overseas rather than wait for a US release, but the reviews have been so mixed I just can't bring myself to buy the first book. Sturges' book just doesn't appeal to me, regardless of the reviews. As for Enge, it seemed promising but .... well you saw what I thought of it.

Book's I've finished in the last weeks:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick. I expected this to be very similar to Blade Runner, which it wasn't. This was my first time reading Dick and I really enjoyed it. I love how he creates a reality in which you can't believe what you perceive. I'm definitely going to check out some of his other works.

Wij - Jeroen Olyslaegers. The year's 1976. A group of friends spend their vacation together in a villa on a mountain in Spain. Tensions rise and soon everything goes wrong... I actually quite liked this book, but I think nobody here's going to read it as it's only available in Dutch.

White Noise - Don DeLillo. Had to read this for my class on postmodernism. Don't really know what to think of it. It piqued my interest at times, but left me indifferent at others. I did occasionally find it funny and recommend it to anyone interested in reading a real postmodern novel.

As for my next book, I'm going to read Pratchett's Sourcery.

Edited for typo.

White Noise - Don DeLillo. Had to read this for my class on postmodernism. Don't really know what to think of it. It piqued my interest at times, but left me indifferent at others. I did occasionally find it funny and recommend it to anyone interested in reading a real postmodern novel.

Absolutely love Don DeLillo. I think once you get used to his very dry wit (which is there in most of his books), you start to love him more. Americana is pretty much sentence for sentence one of the funniest; but Underworld - if you can hack through it and stick with the 800 page behemoth - just blew me away. The humour had gone, and the prose was sizzling.

I finished Every Last Drop, the most recent Joe Pitt book by Charlie Huston. If I'm in a nitpicky mood, the books have their faults, but they're so enjoyable to read, so much fun, that I just stop worrying and enjoy the ride. I need another Huston fix. Guess it's time to order the Hank Thompson trilogy.

I just finished Kings and Assassins by Lane Robins. I read Maledicte a year or so ago, and liked it, but I didn't enjoy this sequel much. The characters it featured were unlikeable, and the intrigue fell flat. I never bought the way the gods seemed to possess/influence people, either.

I am now starting Thirteen by Richard Morgan.

Absolutely love Don DeLillo. I think once you get used to his very dry wit (which is there in most of his books), you start to love him more. Americana is pretty much sentence for sentence one of the funniest; but Underworld - if you can hack through it and stick with the 800 page behemoth - just blew me away. The humour had gone, and the prose was sizzling.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try Americana one day.

Same here. Lloyd has been published in the UK for a couple of years now, his stuff sounds like something I might like, and I'll generally order from overseas rather than wait for a US release, but the reviews have been so mixed I just can't bring myself to buy the first book. Sturges' book just doesn't appeal to me, regardless of the reviews. As for Enge, it seemed promising but .... well you saw what I thought of it.

Well I have the UK edition of The Stormcaller and I agree with a vast consensus of reviews that this is pretty damn bad. Not nice for Tom Lloyd to hear, a young author just atrting out, but his 1st book was not upto scratch at all. Scenes didn't make any sense, characters immature and generic.

I've read excerpts of Midwinter & Blood of Ambrose on Pyr's website and despite the usual lavish praise from Lou Anders for his authors I am unimpressed and will not buy these.

Archived