June 2009 Reads

Larry.

Just finished this and the sequel (Killing of Worlds) earlier in the week - enjoyed it very much

I think the edition I have is both books in one, which is handy. I did a bit of looking around - it's disappointing that the author hasn't written anything more in the same setting. It's nothing particularly revolutionary, but it seems very well thought out and detailed.

Over the past couple of weeks I have read Scar - China Mieville i loved this book, Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon another book I really enjoyed I was unsure about it but once I started reading it I loved it & could not put it down. I also read Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis it was an ok book a quick read.

I am currently reading Dark & hungry god arises (Gap series) - Stephen Donaldson & I will also be receiving Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie in a couple of days :)

I finished A Deepness in the Sky. Every once in a while I post here that space opera, especially hard SF space opera, is just not my thing. But then someone (irl in this case) talks me into something based on it being highly acclaimed or Hugo-winning. But I find the parts with the humans tedious, the dialogue unrealistic. I find the parts with the aliens more engrossing, but the world is way too anthropomorphic. Or maybe Vernor Vinge is just not for me.

I finished off a PKD collection, reading through Martian Time-Slip and Dr. Bloodmoney (both uneven) and Now Wait For Last Year (a lesser known work, but surprisingly sweet and touching).

But what I really wanted to post about is Corambis, Sarah Monette's finale to her "Doctrine of Labyrinths" series. If, like me, you thought the last book or two was a bit tedious, and had become indifferent to reading this one, I would beg you to reconsider. Corambis is engrossing, well-written, with a fascinating new setting that raises many deliciously unanswered questions (what's up with the more advanced technology?). When Corambis starts, Felix and Mildmay are exiles, searching for a new home, and in Felix's case, coming to terms with past trauma and uneasy ghosts once and for all. Monette gets compared to Jacqueline Carey a lot, and they seem to share some of their fanbase. Now I think Carey's Kushiel books are perfectly good escapism for what they are, but I would say that Monette is quite different. The similarities are really superficial - occasional gay sex and magic sex. Monette is working on a different psychological level, imho, one that more easily finds parallels in our lives and our world. I especially enjoyed Corambis' exploration of the different types of love and friendship, sexual and platonic, positive and destructive. My only problem is that the series ends on a somewhat anticlimactic note. I can't imagine Mildmay and Felix being happy forever right where they are at the end, but I am also willing to fill in the blanks for the rest of their adventures.

I finished Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie a few days ago. It was good and fun, but it also dragged a bit and I couldn't help but be a bit underwhelmed by a feeling of 'more of the same' (full review).

I'm now reading Tides from the New Worlds by Tobias Buckell - a beautiful edition from Wyrm books.

Water For Elephants by Sarah Gruen. I guess I'd call it a romantic drama set in a Depression-era circus, with a side-order insight on senescence. Well written and convincingly portrays the era (although how can I tell if it is an accurate portrayal?). The narrator POV is very well written and adds to the story. There's also nice blend of literary parallels that I won't spoil. An enjoyable, quick read.

I admit I probably didn't experience this book in the best way - I and two others took turns reading the hebrew translation aloud, in a tent on a cliff overlooking the egyptian border over three days while our extremely immature commander made snorting noises to distract us (only to mysteriously stop at sex scenes) and we never made it to the very end (so I still don't know who did the killing.), but while I enjoyed the snarky old man and the general background, the whole story struck me as extremely cliche otherwise, with clunky silly writing and really unconvincing characters.

Just finished Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. Took me a while to read the book, but I enjoyed every moment of it. I think it's an improvement on The First Law trilogy (which was quite good in the first place). I'm already looking forward to Abercrombie's next offering.

Archived