June 2009 Reads

Larry.

I just finished The Magus by John Fowles and I'm damned disappointed though I wonder if it's simply because I failed to understand what the point was. I was so caught up in the story that I read for 4.5 hours to finish it and then I was left with a feeling of disappointment that the end seemed not to answer any of the mysteries presented in the novel. I don't know. Maybe this is something I need to think about.

I finished The Turnaround by George Pelecanos. He's always a nice smooth read. It was a good little story about race relations, father-son relationships and the lingering effects of violence, all set in Pelecanos' usual backdrop of Washington D.C. I liked it well enough, though he tends to re-use the same basic character types over and over again (the unrepentant urban predator criminal, two black brothers that take separate paths, the white middle class guy that hides his racism behind bland PC attitudes)

I just finished Falls the Shadow by Sharon Kay Penman. Pretty damn enjoyable read and covered a LONG period of time (something like 40 years).

I really enjoyed it when I read it a few years ago. I have Penman's Devil's Brood near the top of my TBR pile which I hope to read soon.

As for what I'm reading...well I just finished A Storm of Swords and I'm trying to decide if I immediately dive into A Feast For Crows or if I wait a few weeks. I mean it's kind of nice knowing there is still one more book in the series to read since who knows how much longer until the next one.

I really enjoyed it when I read it a few years ago. I have Penman's Devil's Brood near the top of my TBR pile which I hope to read soon.

I'm going for the Reckoning as soon as get through the first book in some recent hot-shot fantasy authors. The conflict between Edward I and Llewleyn ap Gruffyd sounds epic.

I just finished The Magus by John Fowles and I'm damned disappointed though I wonder if it's simply because I failed to understand what the point was. I was so caught up in the story that I read for 4.5 hours to finish it and then I was left with a feeling of disappointment that the end seemed not to answer any of the mysteries presented in the novel. I don't know. Maybe this is something I need to think about.
The Magus was the book that got me into the 'WTF is going on??' novel. I was so struck by it that I went on to read a whole slew of books in that style and I still love them today. I am more than happy to not have every little thing explained in detail. It's more realistic than when stories are neatly wrapped up and tied with a bow. Do we ever know all the answers to something in life so that we're left with nothing to puzzle out?

The Magus was the book that got me into the 'WTF is going on??' novel. I was so struck by it that I went on to read a whole slew of books in that style and I still love them today. I am more than happy to not have every little thing explained in detail. It's more realistic than when stories are neatly wrapped up and tied with a bow. Do we ever know all the answers to something in life so that we're left with nothing to puzzle out?

SPOILER: The Magus
I'm spoiling this because if I do post this, it'll ruin the book for people and honestly, it was a great book up until that last page.

I like movies where I don't have a clue (ie: David Lynch type of flicks). The problem I had with the book wasn't that it didn't spoonfed everything to me, it was more that it didn't spoonfeed anything to me. I mean, you spend 500 pages wondering what's a lie, what's the ultimate revelation Nicholas is supposed to get out of this and whether he ends up with Alison. But by the end of the book, you don't know why Conchis did what he did (or even who he is). You don't know what Nicholas ended up gaining from the experience. Hell, you don't even know if he ends up with Alison because for some reason (which I still have no idea about), he decided to hit her at the end. It's like I was no better off at the end of the book then I was at the beginning and that somewhat bothers me, especially when I invested so much time in it.

I think it's fair to say that the end was a little disappointing/confusing. Maybe that is intended to signify something - it's been years and years since I read it. But I do recall really enjoying the ride, regardless of the ending.

I've seen people level this complaint at Abercrombie too - that a character is no different at the end of the book that they were at the beginning. Well, people DO do stupid things repeatedly and just not learn from them. There is seemingly no limit to the number of times a person will do something that their friends know in advance will end in disaster. I don't see the problem with this - it's like real life. :) That may not be to everybodys' taste when selecting fiction to read but I don't think that necessarily makes it 'bad writing'.

I think it's fair to say that the end was a little disappointing/confusing. Maybe that is intended to signify something - it's been years and years since I read it. But I do recall really enjoying the ride, regardless of the ending.

I've seen people level this complaint at Abercrombie too - that a character is no different at the end of the book that they were at the beginning. Well, people DO do stupid things repeatedly and just not learn from them. There is seemingly no limit to the number of times a person will do something that their friends know in advance will end in disaster. I don't see the problem with this - it's like real life. :) That may not be to everybodys' taste when selecting fiction to read but I don't think that necessarily makes it 'bad writing'.

I wasn't talking about the character but more myself :) I think the character changed. I'm just unsure how. But yea, I enjoyed the ride too. As I said, I burned through the last 250 pages yesterday without pause.

Finished Pelevine's "Le livre sacré du loup-garou". I liked better the second half, not sure if it's because it was better or because I got used to it, but I still didn't really like it.

After that, I wanted some well written litterature, so I read some Maupassant : "Boule de suif", a wonderful cruel short story about egoïsm. Then "La Maison Tellier", another short story, more light-hearted, and finally "Une vie" a beautiful but depressing novel.

Have not decided yet what I will pick up next. I'm planning a malazan reread, but I also have a lot of other things to read...

I finished up Green by Jay Lake last week and got my review up. It's pretty good, but does have a few issues.

Now I'm about half-way through Best Served Cold by Abercrombie. So far it's good, but not the second coming that some of the early reviews would make it seem.

Guest Raidne

I just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem. It was absolutely amazing. It would be my vote for my favorite speculative fiction novel of all time. I'm - so far unsuccessfully - trying to revive the thread.

I also read Morgan's Market Forces. It was alright. I also read Revolutionary Road, which was depressing, Greg Bear's Quantico, a total throwaway beach read, and Ian McEwan's The Innocent, which reminded me why I like to read speculative fiction more than writers who try too hard to raise "important themes."

I just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem. It was absolutely amazing. It would be my vote for my favorite speculative fiction novel of all time.

What does it mean? The genre name?

Guest Raidne
What does it mean? The genre name?

I'm sure we've had a whole thread on it before that can be found with the search function, but just do I don't state some proposition about it that someone wants to argue with, here's Wiki:

"Speculative fiction is a fiction genre speculating about worlds that are unlike the real world in various important ways. In these contexts, it generally overlaps one or more of the following: science fiction, fantasy fiction, horror fiction, supernatural fiction, superhero fiction, utopian and dystopian fiction, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction, and alternate history."

Have started Winterbirth by Ruckley and is not thrilled so far.

Will give it a few more chapters to pick up.

Pretty generic races and setting. Politics are a little fun so far, but not enough to salvage the rest. But just a preliminary opinion. Will go read some more.

I finished Green by Jay Lake. The book is pretty well written, but it suffers from a couple of problems, namely uneven plotting. The main character also comes off as a bit of a Mary Sue. I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked but I still thought it was a good book.

I need a break from fantasy before starting Warbreaker so I'm going to read Helliconia Spring by Brian Aldiss.

Finished reading Chris Wooding's 'Retribution Falls', a tale of the pirate airship 'Ketty Jay' and the attempts of her crew to escape the bounty that her captain has inadvertently put on their heads. I really enjoyed reading about the exploits of the 'Ketty Jay' but the 'pulp format' and sparse world building (in places) took the shine off things a little bit. My full review is over Here. I'm now finishing off Tim Waggoner's 'Nekropolis' and Judith Tarr's 'Bring down the Sun'...

I recently finished John C. Wright's Golden Age trilogy, which is among the finest science fiction I've read. I also read The Ascent of Money: The Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson, which was smaller in scope than implied by the title, but nonetheless contained fascinating information about the history of finance.

Right now, I'm in the middle of reading A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World by William Bernstein, and rereading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

The House Gun by Nadine Gordimer. Boring. The story had potential but the writing did absolutely nothing for me.

The Sand Reckoner by Gillian Brandshaw. A very well written historical novel about young Archimedes going back to Syracuse to see his sick father and how he ended up helping his city against the Romans. I really enjoyed following this brilliant but absent-minded young man around as he made the biggest catapults of his era and dealt with new responsibilities and emotions. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical novels.

I also read Many Bloody Returns, a collection of vampire stories (and birthdays) edited by Charlaine Harris. I mostly bought it for the Sookie Stackhouse story but I liked most of the stories in the book.

I'm currently reading Julian by Gore Vidal. 70 pages into it and so far so good.

I've been reading House of Leaves this month. It may have caused me to become insane. Well, not really. It's been an interesting read, but it hasn't gotten into my head. I kind of wish it would, though. Insanity sounds fun.

Archived