June 2009 Reads

Larry.

For Stross I enjoyed the Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue. Kind of a mix between James Bond and Lovecraft with a bit of the Office mixed in for humor.

I agree, those two books are the most enjoyable books I've read by Stross. I'm not so keen on his more serious science fiction works, Singularity Sky was just mediocre and Accelerando had some fantastic ideas but weak storytelling. I also read the first book of his fantasy series, The Family Trade, which was entertaining but not that memorable and his short story collection Toast which was a bit mixed but did have a few great stories in it (the cyberpunk Antibodies, Lovecraftian parody A Boy and His God and Lovecraftian alternate history A Colder War).

Thinking about mixing things up after that and reading some Stross or Scalzi. Any recs other than Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigade, or Saturn's Children?

Bones, Scalzi also has two stand-alone scifi novels, Agent to the Stars and The Android's Dream, both of which are quite good.

Finished Stover's Blade of Tyshalle today. Damn, that was some ride. Despite being a sequel to Heroes Die, this book is quite different in tone, plot, etc. Instead of constant straight action, we get a complex, interwoven plot with considerable depth (don't worry, there's still plenty of violence, though). There's also more philosophy and reflection on deeper themes present. Aside from that, I think BoT is probably one of the darkest books I've ever read. If you think some authors of 'gritty' fantasy treat their characters cruelly, wait until you read Stover. He's on a whole new level. Despite this, the book can be quite funny at times. The humour mostly consists of Caine's creative use of profanity, but it works. :D If I were to compare BoT with the works of other authors, I would describe it as 'a future earth dystopia from the nightmares of Philip K. Dick mixed with the character-driven fantasy of Joe Abercrombie, complete with violence reminiscent of Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels and topped off with plotting worthy of Lynch's Gentleman Bastards'. Suffice to say I enjoyed this novel a lot. I think it really deserves a reprint and a UK publisher. For all of you who are unable to find a copy of this book, I'm sorry if this review rubs salt in the wound.

I'm not so keen on his more serious science fiction works, Singularity Sky was just mediocre and Accelerando had some fantastic ideas but weak storytelling.

I thought Iron Sunrise and Glasshouse were both a lot stronger than their respective predecessors, at least as far as storytelling goes.

Recently finished my first reread of The Count of Monte Cristo in years. Damn, I love that book. :) One of the best novels ever written. :)

I also recently read Jacqueline Carey's Santa Olivia, which was not at all what I was expecting (I thought it was supposed to be urban fantasy with werewolves and it turned out to be a post-apocalyptic science fiction sports story) but which I greatly enjoyed. :)

I have started reading Drood by Dan Simmons, and so far it is good. It is historical horror featuring Victorian age writers Charles Dickens and Wilkie Collins. :)

Just finished Ian Esslemont's Return of the Crimson Guard. A good addition to the Malazan universe - lots of characters to keep track of, plenty of battles.

Now reading the Risen Empire by Scott Westerfield.

Denis Leary's Why We Suck is funny if you like Denis Leary.

Got Plutarch's Lives from the library. I'm planning to start with Julius Caesar, then maybe take on Theseus and go from there.

Adrian Tchaikovsky - Dragonfly Falling

I've really warmed to the places and the people in this series whilst reading the second book. I did find myself a tiny bit confused with some of the secondary characters this time around - possibly there were a few too many named characters? As a scientist I especially enjoyed the part where the artificers in Collegium kept popping up with inventions (unknown to their colleagues) to use in defence of the city. It's a classic reference to academia where most people have no idea what research their colleagues are working on, everyone just does their own thing in isolation. Really looking forward to part three now - especially to discover what the mosquito kinden can do.

John Wyndham - The Kraken Wakes

If the twee 'husband-wife reporter team' plot device was removed I dare say I'd have enjoyed this a lot more and gotten through it much faster. But it kept niggling me and I had to keep putting it down for something less annoying. I'm glad I read it but enjoyment is outweighed by distaste. Urgh. I've just started The Midwich Cuckoos, which begins with a husband and wife trying to get home - I sincerely hope it won't follow the same pattern otherwise it'll have to return to the library unread. :|

I sincerely hope it won't follow the same pattern otherwise it'll have to return to the library unread. :|

It's not, don't worry!

I've just started a children's book, The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud. Looks like it will be fun with a perfect, simple hook to start.

I was doing some travelling, and took some Bronte with me.

Wuthering Heights was just as disappointing as I remembered when I read it last 20 years ago, when I was quite young. I think the problem is that I had a hard time caring for the characters (except for the narrator, I cheered when his response by the end was to want to get the hell out of the county and these crazy scary people). As for classic revenge tales, nothing beats Dumas and Monte Cristo.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte was much better. Unlike her sisters, she's more of a romantic realist akin to Austen or Eliot, and also is very sensitive to social issues and ethics What a contrast in Emily's portrayal of Heathcliff with Anne's less sympathetic portrayal of an irresponsible, abusive husband and the wife who finally leaves the marriage (in the 1800's no less!) to strike out on her own. I liked this book a lot, and look forward to reading Agnes Grey soon.

But Villette by Charlotte, with its epic scope and psychological subtlety, was easily my favorite of the bunch. It's just a very satisfying tale, and I highly recommend it.

I'm still reading ANNA KARENINA. I started back in January. I really like the book but feel the need to read it slowly. I've always been a slow reader. Plus I have other stuff I have to do.

There are a couple of thoughts I have about this book. One is I get this weird feeling that I'm missing something since I'm not reading it in the original Russian. the second is that this book has a knack for making observations about certain elements of human character that I dislike in myself. That's probably the main reason I don't remember alot of what I read.

I haven't read any of it since about 2 weeks ago. Just started Book 6 today. I'm at the part where Levin and Kitty's family are all at the farm and Sergey seems to be showing an interest in Varenka.

I just finished Best Served Cold. Fantastic book and great addition to the First Law Trilogy.

I think I'll jump back to The Magus by John Fowles now that I've put it off. I need to get away from fantasy for a book.

I didn't follow my plan for the last few days.

I finished "Under the Eagle" and found it, well, ok. Nothing earthshattering - I'd pick up sequels if I needed a book but wouldn't go out of my way to get them.

I also read "Urban Shaman" by CE Murphy, which I actually rather liked. Very much urban fantasy, but it flowed well and I liked the mythos. Definite similarities to Patricia Briggs though. I will get the sequels - and I believe her other series got better reviews.

I also picked up "Poison Study" by Maria V Snyder. A bit meh to be honest. A slight story with little that stood out. If I saw the sequels on special offer I may pick them up.

I finished "Seven Times Never Kill Man" from the RRetrospective. I'm liking this book more and more as I read it. I'm doing my best to space it out though, so the next story will have to wait 2 weeks.

Currently reading Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov. His writing/language is really good but the story and narrative style are sort of disjointed.

Next up is LOTR--big for me as I've never read them! (I know, I deserve to be flogged). My dad read them to me when I was too young to understand what was going on, and I didn't re-experience the story until the movies came out. So it's about time that I read them myself

Wow! My favorite novel (and poem) is Pale Fire... It's not disjointed really. It's a mystery wrapped in a commentary, poem, and afterward. Truely a heartbreaking story to me.

I'm still reading ANNA KARENINA. I started back in January. I really like the book but feel the need to read it slowly. I've always been a slow reader. Plus I have other stuff I have to do.

There are a couple of thoughts I have about this book. One is I get this weird feeling that I'm missing something since I'm not reading it in the original Russian. the second is that this book has a knack for making observations about certain elements of human character that I dislike in myself. That's probably the main reason I don't remember alot of what I read.

I haven't read any of it since about 2 weeks ago. Just started Book 6 today. I'm at the part where Levin and Kitty's family are all at the farm and Sergey seems to be showing an interest in Varenka.

If your looking for great Russian novels read Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol. Very funny, and sad as a mirror into the Russian soul of the times.

First Crusader:Byzantium's Holy Wars by Geoffrey Regan was interesting but not mindblowing. It covered a far longer period of history than I thought it would and that was good. It was informative in its own way, I particularly liked the way it showed the rise of Islam and how the Byzantines completely ignored it. An Ok history book but nothing to write home about.

I read The Sultan's Seal by Jenny White. I thought it was an uneven history/crime fiction book. I liked the first part and I thought it felt authentic but as the writer was trying to make the plot more complicated and make use of political intrigue the book lost its focus, at least for me.

I also read and really enjoyed Shell Game, by Carol O'Donnell. A fascinating story about old crimes and deadly magic tricks and really complicated, multi-layered characters. I thought I had the answers and still there were little new twists to thrill me very often. A good book, I was kind of sad to finish it.

I just started reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. I like what I see so far.

I snuck in a quick read of Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer, as recommended to me by Slick ages and ages ago. Interesting stuff - I look forward to reading the second book after I 'get through' The Midwich Cuckoos.

I finished Santa Olivia (Jacqueline Carey) at 12:45 this morning. Not what I was expecting, but I still loved it. I read it in one day, which is VERY unusual for me. :thumbsup:

Now I am reading Kushiel's Mercy, also by Carey. So far so good.

Archived