June 2009 Reads

Larry.

I am leaning towards Santa Olivia or Kushiel's Mercy - Jacqueline Carey, or maybe continuing on with Aubrey and Maturin. I will have to see how the mood strikes me.

I went with Aubrey/Maturin #5 Desolation Island - Patrick O'Brian. :thumbsup:

Just finished Jean Sasson's Princess Sultana's Circle, her third book writing about/on behalf of a Saudi Princess. As always, so many disturbing things. :sick: But also occassionally uplifting and heroic, all the more poignant given the circumstances and hurdles. One thing in particular that I found interesting in this book, was the reaction to a depiction of the Prophet (not the infamous cartoons, this is before that). It really emphasizes the level of offense and even distress, in a way I did not appreciate before.

I finished Memoirs of a Master Forger and marked the occasion with several loud curses. It was a book that drew me in without a bit of a problem and towards the end I found myself tearing my self away. I didn't want the book the end, I would note the diminishing pages and tear myself away more and more often, all in an attempt to savor what was left, but in the end there was nothing left to do but finish the book. It was a very good novel, which is a bit of an understatement. It certainly is one of the best I've read this year, going so far as to slide itself above Zafon's Shadow of the Wind at the top of the list. I loved the book and I will definitely be reading it again soon, but in the mean time I can't wait to get read more from Joyce. And on that note, I hope that one of the books pops in at the library tomorrow, otherwise it is not going to be such a great day.

I'm reading stories from the new PS Pubslihing collection "Everland and other stories" by Paul Witcover. I started with the famous carnival tale "Red Shift" and it is indeed a good read. I suspect many more goodies will be found here, I hope so anyway.

This weekend I read Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (review). It's a good character-driven superhero story that should appeal to fans of both the author and the genre. I've had Kushiel's Dart for a while now and may have to bump it up the reading stack.

I'm already 150 pages into A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr, though I may put it aside if Best Served Cold shows up before I finish.

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley

This started off in familiar fantasy territory and I was looking forward to seeing where I was being taken. Unfortunately the pace slowed to a standstill and I soon found myself treading in mediocre treacle wishing for elsewhere. The problem with going slowly is that it gives the reader time to see the flaws and there are too many here to ignore.

Finished John Barth's Chimera yesterday. Most excellent comic mashup of various Greek myths. Almost done with Boris Vian's Heartsnatcher and it's similar in comic tone to Barth, but with a story set in contemporary France. Very good so far, with 50 pages to go. Almost done with Juan José Arreola's Confabulario definitivo. Good stuff as well. About 1/3 into Laura Restrepo's recently-released Demasiados héroes, which focuses on Argentina's post-1976 recent history. Interesting so far.

I'm finishing off Fall of Hyperion and Abhorsen (Garth Nix). Should I bother reading Endymion and sequel? I've heard such bad things about them, so I might just start Shadow of the Wind.

I thought Endymion was excellent. It just doesn't measure up to the brilliance (imo) of Hyperion, that's all.

Reading Thirteen, by Richard K. Morgan. Read all of his novels, and this is probably his best one. Just fantastic.

Ended up finishing David Williams' 'Burning Skies' (instead of 'Day of the Damned'), follow up to 'Mirrored Heavens' and a tale of hardcore techno-warfare in the 22nd century. The pacing is a bit choppy in places but still well worth a read for fans of military sci-fi. My full review is over Here. Now it's back to 'Day of the Damned'...

Well, I finally finished Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton - I haven't had much reading time lately. It's enjoyable and Newton's writing is promising, but I found Nights of Villjamur a bit uneven (full review)

Next up is Green by Jay Lake.

Currently reading Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov. His writing/language is really good but the story and narrative style are sort of disjointed.

Next up is LOTR--big for me as I've never read them! (I know, I deserve to be flogged). My dad read them to me when I was too young to understand what was going on, and I didn't re-experience the story until the movies came out. So it's about time that I read them myself

Archived