Metal Thread II: Son of Metal Thread

Xray the Enforcer

I guess it's time I finally get on the Diablo Swing Orchestra bandwagon. I'll let you guys know in about a week what I think.

Just an update from my earlier albums - YOB's album is quite good, if you like sludgy doom. There are passages that devolve into pure drone, and some that pick up the pace (relatively) and are quite melodic. The whole thing seems incredibly angry but swimming in molasses.

The Celesty album is good power metal, but not very heavy. Ramming Speed actually have a few songs that are pretty good, but it's not a style that really suits me.

And I still can't stop listening to Melechesh. Seriously jealous of anyone going to MDF or any other venue that you get to see them.

I'm not a huge fan of DSO -- I mean, they're not bad by any stretch and they're pretty fun. But I grew tired of their schtick very quickly (like, within an album's duration). Then again, I don't have a lot of patience for bands like Alestorm, either, so this is definitely a personal taste/tolerance thing.

I've been listening to a lot of new (to me) music this past few weeks, but haven't had much of a chance to comment yet.

Relaxing to new Gwar. Just what I needed during a stressfull time. A good band that doesn't take things too seriously. Can't wait to see them live again.

Gwar - Metal Metal Land from Lust in Space

Gwar is good stuff, I missed them last time they were in my area because Watain was playing the same night. As we were headed back home we saw people on the subway who were 100% green, apparently they had been splashed with the fountain of semen coming from Cthulu.

I think that's the only time I've ever wanted to be around for a 'money shot'.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the new albums from 3 Inches of Blood and Ensiferum and have listened to them each a bit. It might be a bit premature to be commenting on them, especially 3IoB, considering each of their previous albums have taken some time for me to fully appreciate.

Listening to "Here Waits They Doom" the first thing that struck me was how stripped down the songs sounded compared to "Fire Up the Blades". Probably the only problem I had with Blades was that they tried to cram too much sound into each song and obscured the structures a bit too much and the mixing wasn't very clear. I'm all for muddy mixes, but I thought "Advance and Vanquish" with its cleaner sound was better for the band. However, this album goes the other direction and really dials it back and is more economical with sound. Of course the loss of Jamie Hooper on harsh vocals is incredibly apparent in more ways than one. Yes, there are moments when you think a good growl from Jamie as a counterpoint to Cam's wailing would not be miss, but after a while you realize that there really aren't that many of those moments because the songs have been crafted with the absence of Jamie in mind. I have no doubt that had Jamie still been in the band that not only would we be blessed with his vocals, but that the songs would be quite different in composition than they are now. As it stands, the band more than ever sounds like a throwback tribute to 80s heavy metal. I always felt like there style didn't fit into any single genre, but with the absence of Jamie and the new songwriting that isn't so much the case. There are a few harsh vocals (very few) and they don't have the power or distinctiveness of Jamie. However, were I to listen to this album having never heard 3IoB before (and therefore not realize the lack of the amazing Mr. Hooper), I think I would enjoy it what it is, pure good ol' fashioned metal. Not groundbreaking, mind you, and it wouldn't blow your mind and make you eagerly lap up everything else the band has done, but it is good, if disappointing for an old fan like me.

The Ensiferum album, otoh, is a marked improvement from their previous effort. There are some more changes in the band, as this time they add an orchestral element into the mix. Not everything works, and it is definitely not as good as "Iron", but there are some great songs. I especially enjoy the title track, "From Afar". So if you liked their self-titled and "Iron", but didn't care as much for "Victory Songs" (like me), don't worry, this album is closer in quality to the earlier albums than it is to "Victory Songs".

I also checked out Diablo Swing Orchestra. I've listened to the album "The Butcher's Ballroom" and I have some very mixed feelings. I have to skip the tracks where they do too much swing music, as I feel it just doesn't work that well. But when they get away from swing they have some really interesting songs. I especially enjoy "Ragdoll Physics" and "Heroines". There are other good songs too and I think I might need to explore the band a bit more to see which direction most of their other music takes. If it is more in the swing style I'll probably pass on the band overall.

I've also got a few other new albums that I haven't really formed any opinions on yet. Kauan's "Tietäjän Laulu" is doom metal in the vein of Lacrimosa. Overall I find it a little boring and probably won't be revisiting the band. No Made Sense's "The Epillanic Choragi" is an interesting album. They are a progressive band that isn't afraid to stray from melodic styles but don't actually fit any other genre (I guess they are truly a progressive band, not just a progressive metal band). The album seems pretty decent and a bit all over the place. At times they even sound a bit like Gojira's latest. Wine from Tears is melodic death/doom that hasn't really done anything for me yet (but I haven't given it much of a chance). And then Tombs and Wodensthrone round out my recent acquisitions with some capable black metal. From what I've heard I think these are both quite good, if maybe uninspired. I'll have to give them each more of a chance before passing judgment though.

I got the new Megadeth album on Friday. I've listened to it about three times and I don't think it's very good. The songs are similar to those on 'United Abominations' but there are no stand out tracks for me. Quite dissapointing, but hopefully they'll make up for it and do another UK tour soon.

I've been really got-damned lax on posting about the new music I've bought. There's been a fair fucking lot of it, too, owing to a 50-free-download windfall at eMusic and an itchy trigger finger when browsing Amazon mp3.

In no particular order, I've acquired:

Destroyer 666 - Cold Steel...For an Iron Age

Vreid - I Krig, Milorg

Lycia - The Burning Circle and Then Dust

Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Drudkh - Microcosmos

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter

Asmegin - Hin Vordende Sog og So

Behemoth* - Demonica

Agathodaimon - Higher Art of Rebellion

Entombed - Clandestine

Enslaved - Blodhemn, Eld, Monumension, Vikingligr Veldi

Antaeus* - Cut Your Flesh and Worship Satan

Ava Inferi - The Silhouette

Cryptopsy* - None So Vile

Katatonia* - Brave Murder Day, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, Dance of December Souls

Lamb (OK, not metal -- I forced myself to buy a non-metal album)

Orphaned Land* - Mabool

Suidakra* - Emprise to Avalon, Signs for the Fallen, Crogacht

Ufoammut* - Snailking

*Indicates I only got selected tracks rather than whole albums because I was running out of downloads.

I also bought an honest-ta-GAWD compact disc the other day and am waiting for it to arrive. The band is called Mitochondrion and they put out some really intense, fucked-up shit. I can't even think what to compare them to. Here are the reviews for the album on MA.

I'm still trying to digest all of that music, though, so my thoughts are still pretty preliminary. I mean, the classics like Cryptopsy, Immortal, Bathory, Entombed and Enslaved were all just me doing my due diligence for my record collection. If anyone wants thoughts on those, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just assume y'all either know you like or dislike those particular bands.

I guess I can talk about Destroyer 666. Listen to this when you need something loud, insistent and not too complicated. The music is straightforward blackened thrash, the lyrics are straight out of a Medieval: Total War campaign (if it were run by Terry Goodkind), but it's perfect for fist-pumping, head-banging action.

Listened to:

Red Fang:Red Fang: Pretty solid heavy rock and roll.

Black Cobra I listened to their Ep, Bestial, and Feather and Stone. This band would be awesome if the guitar player was better. Signs of greatness but needs refinement.

The Sword:Age of Winters: Good shit. Old Fashioned metal with a new edge.

As it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, I feel obliged to bring up Anaal Nathrakh's new (well, at least it was new three months ago) album In The Constellation Of The Black Widow, which is, as far as I am concerned, among the best (if not the best) releases of the year.

One could probably write quite long-winded reviews in its praise, but I really can't be arsed, so I'll keep it short. This album simply works. Vocals, guitar, bass, drums, it all comes together nicely, and I can't even find fault with the production. While some songs are certainly better than others, there isn't a single one I'd categorize as filler.

So if you have only the slightest interest in black metal of the non-kvlt-grim-frostbitten variety, you should give this one a try - if only for the wonderful track titles.

? Yes, please.

While it definitely doesn't lack in melody, I'd say it's a bit more violent (for want of a better word; that term is far too popular with reviewers) than Hell Is Empty overall. As far as I'm concerned, it still is the stylistic successor of Eschaton and Hell Is Empty, though.

Listened to the new Diablo Swing Orchestra. Much heavier guitar sound. The female singer is crazy awesome. She does opera vocals then segues into crooning and screaming. The male vocals are hilarious. He sounds like a cross between Dracula and a drunk Russian. One of the best bands to mix beautiful and brutal melodies.

Also listened to Golgoltha which later morphed into Acid Bath. Outrageously violent lyrics that would make Cannibal Corpse blanche. The music drips pure evil. A must for any fan of Acid Bath.

So last night I saw my first concert in awhile - Porcupine Tree. While not exactly the most metal of bands, they have been progressively heavier in their latest releases. I hadn't listened to their new album prior (just came out this week), but they played it straight through and it seemed to be a little heavier and proggier than previous records. The music was amazing, but they didn't really put on a show. Most bands are there to play their music for you and really have a performance. I felt like the band was very pretentious and felt like they were allowing us to watch them play their music, so they felt no need to do anything else but play the music. That turned me off a bit, but I still had a good time.

King's X was the opener and I had never really listened to them, but they were entertaining enough. Might check out some stuff by them.

My friend is seeing Porcupine Tree soon (or maybe she just saw them?) and I'll be curious to know how she felt about the show. (She'd be right at home in these threads, BTW, so I think comparing her experience to yours, TL, would be valid.)

King's X -- now there's a blast from the past. Mormont (the mod) is a pretty big King's X fan -- you could hit him up for recs. I think I've listened to Dogman more than their other albums (the ones I own, anyway) combined, so maybe start there?

Archived