Metal Thread II: Son of Metal Thread

Xray the Enforcer

If you like Iced Earth try Mystic Prophecy. I can never find anyone who's heard of them but they are amazing.

We Kill You Die

Grave of a Thousand Lies

Some other bands i can think of would be Helloween Dark Empire, Persuader, Brainstorm, Symphony X, and Cage to name a few.

Don't forget Demons and Wizards, thats John from Iced Earth and Hansi's from Blind Gaurdian side project.

Also plz help me pray to every god that has ever existed that Kamelot play in Vancouver on the upcoming NA tour. PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!

One thing I'm a bit bummed out about for MDF -- quite a few grindcore bands on the bill. I'm not really a fan of grindcore, in that I like the musical approach (occasionally), but the juvenile and frequently misogynistic lyrics just turn my stomach. Yes, I know that some of the bands are saying these things tongue-in-cheek, but I'm pretty sure that many of the fans don't get the joke. :ack:

this is a very interesting issue regarding much of metal. my girl and i have had some very long conversations regarding the lyrics of brutality, sex, misogyny, rape, murder, etc that is a hallmark of a goodly amount of metal bands out there. i am a long-standing non-apologetic listener and lover of cannibal corpse. the lyrics are not for the faint of heart. but, for me it is a joke. all of it. songs about dissecting and consuming female genitals, raping with knives, sodomizing with meathooks, etc, all of it is a joke to me. it always has been. even when i was a wee lad and got into the band i never took the lyrics serious.

but, i do find the lyrics of rap artists to be more inflammatory, distasteful and unapproachable. it is a severe double standard on my behalf. i accept songs of murder and rape by demons and zombies, but a song about fucking a girl in the ass and shooting a rival in the street i find to be a bit over the line.

i would be interested in hearing other metalheads and their thoughts on the themes you find a lot of the times in death, black and grindcore music.

this is a very interesting issue regarding much of metal. my girl and i have had some very long conversations regarding the lyrics of brutality, sex, misogyny, rape, murder, etc that is a hallmark of a goodly amount of metal bands out there. i am a long-standing non-apologetic listener and lover of cannibal corpse. the lyrics are not for the faint of heart. but, for me it is a joke. all of it. songs about dissecting and consuming female genitals, raping with knives, sodomizing with meathooks, etc, all of it is a joke to me. it always has been. even when i was a wee lad and got into the band i never took the lyrics serious.

but, i do find the lyrics of rap artists to be more inflammatory, distasteful and unapproachable. it is a severe double standard on my behalf. i accept songs of murder and rape by demons and zombies, but a song about fucking a girl in the ass and shooting a rival in the street i find to be a bit over the line.

i would be interested in hearing other metalheads and their thoughts on the themes you find a lot of the times in death, black and grindcore music.

Honestly, I think with metal and rap...a LOT of it is tongue-in-cheek stuff, so lyrics don't really bother me for the most part. And the stuff in rap that isn't tongue-in-cheek, is pretty real, but, at the same time, a lot of those artists don't know anything different and that's the life they grew up in, so that's what they rap about as an escape or a way to cope.

One of my favorite hardcore acts is GlassJaw. Some of the stuff that Daryl sings about is fucked up, but everyone I've ever known that's met the guy says nothing negative about him. Some of the stuff is super misogynistic, but...from what I understand, him singing about it was just his way to deal with the bullshit that he was going through INSTEAD of actually punching some woman in the face not as a way to promote punching a woman in the face. It's a creative outlet.

I mean, hell. All of our favorite authors write some fucked up shit, but I don't think any of us for a second would say this same stuff about GRRM or whoever, you know?

There are very few lyrics that bother me...but the idea of neo-nazi bands really pisses me off. That stuff isn't a joke, that stuff is redneck trash that is out to promote hate. Fuck that.

I've actually made this argument to my girlfriend who abhors rap to a degree where it's almost dangerous to mention it xp. As a fan of both genres I think I can give some decent insight.

In metal, the anger that pours through has become stereotypical, which many bands can play off (i.e. Cannibal Corpse) but enough digging around the metal scene will show that a good half of metal, potentially more, does not discuss brutally maiming or burning people. Usually Death, Thrash and Grind are about all those murderous intents, but that's what those genres are for. For letting loose and being passionate about things you hate.

Rap is different, it's not about your feelings, not about your troubled past, your hatred for 'The Man', your desire to kill women. It's about looking cool and making sure everyone knows you're cool. Metal makes it's money by relating to it's listeners more base tendencies and feelings. Rap appeals to a romanticized version of Thug Life (btw, I'm using blanket statements here, there are exceptions to everything but for the purposes of this discussion I'm going along with the majority of what's output to today's youth).

It's no shock to anyone that minorities still experience more of the harsher side of life, so to be able to hear something from someone who grew up the same way and 'made it' makes things a little more hopeful and a little more upbeat. You don't have to be ashamed of the life you lead when there are so many people justifying it for you.

Personally I think that's why music of all genres attracts people. Doom Metal fits my bleaker moods, Punk fits when I'm feeling rebellious, Rap when I'm remembering my younger years and the communities I grew up in.

You may not approve of raps lyrics because they make no sense to you. Maybe you didn't grow up in a place where such discussion were common, or those particular outlets where the norm, or maybe it's because you realize that, unlike Cannibal Corpse, though the rapper himself may never have done those things, many modern rap references are a normal part of life, and they aren't something to really laugh at. Shooting up some guy on the street is more realistic and more common then Zombies raping women, so it's a little harder to laugh at.

Im gonna venture a guess here, id say many of the people who are really into rap say the same stuff about the popular rap on mtv that metal and punk fans bitch about in the more popular metal/punk bands. Something about how its over dramatized and simplified to appeal to a more mainstream audience.

Although i could be wrong :leaving: . Just seems to be a common trend in every form of entertainment.

Hmmm...I never meant to spark an actual side debate on the grindcore thing. All I'll say is this: hate is a legitimate emotion and expressing that through music is a legitimate response to those emotions. Those in the metal scene (the ones I have problems with) who are just doing shit for shock value (AxCx, etc) get no respect or regard. I'll listen to a NSBM band before I'll listen to the apolitical grindcore bands -- at least the NSBM bands stand for something more than the mere titillation factor (even when I disagree vehemently with NSBM political and cultural ideals). Basically, if the band is moronic, sophomoric or otherwise lame, I'm not interested and would rather not give them my money.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled metalfest:

eMusic re-upped today and, because a lot of shitty things have befallen my friends in the last few months (latest bad news came last night), I ended up with a lot of angry music.

Setherial -- Nord

Watain -- Causus Luciferi

Belphegor -- Goatreich-Fleshcult <--- I swear these guys wrote a black metal madlib program to get that album name

Anata -- The Conductor's Departure

Darkane -- Expanding Senses

1349 -- Hellfire

Empyrean Sky -- The Snow White Rose of Paradise (OK, this isn't that angry, AFAICT)

Moonspell -- Irreligious (OK, also not angry. not actually sure why I got this one)

I take it back about Empyrean Sky not being angry. They're angry.

I'm not sure how to describe this band -- progressive death metal/deathcore with acoustic interludes? They're labeled as progressive death metal on MA, but that doesn't really get across the style/tone of the music. There are heavy progressive elements, but crushing riffs, and the occasional (non-obtrusive! I take that back, see below) synthesizer flava thrown in. Vocals are clean or mostly clean -- in fact some of them make me think of old-school progressive rock more than anything in the metal genre.

In any case, I can see this band being something that could appeal to a bunch of people on this thread -- the -core elements/clean vocals and production for that crowd, the progressive elements/acoustic interludes for the prog fans, the melodic elements for the melodeath crowd. I'm not sure this will be a disc that too many people love, though. There are just so many contradictory elements (in that the musical elements that one subset of fans will love is going to drive another subset insane with annoyance and rage) in here, it'll be a special beast indeed who ends up putting this in their top 10.

ETA: Holy shit -- this song just went from death metal into full classic-era Axl Rose-esque wailing and a riff I am sure they ganked from a Ratt album. :stunned:

ETA2: Wow. And now we're into full-on power metal with symphonic elements.

slayer, slayer, fucking slayer!

so, tuesday the new album came out. i picked up 'world painted blood' and have given it a constant listen since. it is the only thing i have listened to for near a week.

i will tell you i love it. it is frantic, intense, powerful, heavy, full of classic slayer elements. but, it is not just a rehashing of old-school 'reign in blood' or 'seasons in the abyss.' it has a lot of surprises that i did not expect. tom sings in a clean voice rather than his usual tempo-based screams and shouts on a couple tracks. some of the guitar riffs have a modern metal feel to them with a bit more of a melodic bend to them instead of the standard slayer thrash.

i loved paul bostaph as a drummer. though his albums with slayer were not the band's strongest, i still think he was a highlight to that era. he brought a creativity behind the kit that i loved. however, having dave lombardo back heading up the rhythm section is fantastic. his work on 2006's 'christ illusion' was a warm-up. he is full and back in this album. it is as if he is still a 21 year old pounding out the drumming in 'reign in blood'. he has provided a backbone for the slayer monster to hold it's mass upon. i would love to hear his drumming on this album isolated. he really is in top form once again.

this does not sound like a band 27 years old. this does not sound like a record produced in 2009. it has a feel of thrash at it's finest. this could be 1986, and i mean it in a very very good and respectful way. i completely love this album.

fucking slayer!

Yeah, I loved the new Slayer album back when I heard it for the first time in '92 or '93.

Ouch. But honestly I think Thrash is the genre that leaves the least room for experimentation and variation (or at least it has been pushed the least). I'll still have to give the album a listen. I actually quite enjoyed Christ Illusion for what it was, so if this one is better then I'll probably like it as well.

Listen, it's not a criticism necessarily. I don't go to Wendy's because I want new and innovative avant-garde cuisine, and I don't pick up a Slayer album expecting to get Dream Theater or Voivod, you know? Slayer is Slayer, and that's just fine with me. I like Slayer.

Black Dahlia Murder and 3 Inches of Blood are touring together next year. Win.

I'm not a huge fan of Black Dahlia Murder, but I'm seeing 3 Inches of Blood a week from tomorrow. They're playing in a little hole in the wall bar in Sioux Falls, which is only about an hour and a half drive. Anybody familiar with Saviours or Holy Grail? They're opening and I have no clue who they are. I'm interested to see how much old material they play and how it will sound without Jamie Hooper.

Archived