Metal Thread II: Son of Metal Thread

Xray the Enforcer

I wonder if there is a way you could clear out of the area during the MM bits? I think my friend Ron went to Mayhemfest -- I'll see if I can get in touch with him to get a sense of how obnoxious the kids were...

And yeah, MDF is definitely looking like something I might try to hit next year, at least for one day.

And because I was housebound and bored yesterday, I bought some Deicide. :lol:

DEICIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

which one's did you get? i am not enamored with the newer stuff. give me legion, insinerateyhm, deicide, and once upon a cross any old time.

I bought Legion. Last time I owned that album, it was still on a cassette tape. :lol:

living in small mountain town i recall my first deicide being legion and being a cassette my older metalhead/d&d buddy recorded for me from his older sister's boyfriend's collection. he was like 'you have got to hear this. it is so fucking evil.' as a youth it did not grab me musically on the first few goes. but, the epic overwhelming hatred for christianity spoke to my young heathen soul and i kept listening to it until i loved it! before that the hardest things available to me were metallica, slayer and venom. all very tame musically compared to the assault on the ears that is deicide.

Just listened to a new track by 3 Inches of Blood that they posted on their myspace page. I love 3IoB, but I'm not sure I'm enamored with this song, "Call of the Hammer". Of course, the first couple times I listened to "Fire Up the Blades" I didn't much care for it, but now I love it. So we'll have to see if it grows on me when the whole album comes out. Can't wait for "Here Waits Thy Doom".

Checked it out. Different - for them. Lets just say it will not be my favorite song the album. I have just gotten into them in the last year or so. As I understand the screamer (Jamie Hooper?) is gone? Not sure how I feel about that.

Checked it out. Different - for them. Lets just say it will not be my favorite song the album. I have just gotten into them in the last year or so. As I understand the screamer (Jamie Hooper?) is gone? Not sure how I feel about that.

hooper not in the band would really change the vocal dynamic of the band. his screams alongside cam's powerful old-school metal sounding vocals really make the sound. it would be sad to not have his screams live on songs like 'night marauders.' still, i look forward to new music from this band.

Goddamn, that sounds like a fabulous show. :thumbsup:

It sure was. :) It's was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. And now I'm not sure whether my favourite live band is Megadeth or Testament. :unsure:

Ha. What a terrible problem to have. :P

So, I had idly listened to Melechesh over the t00bs in the past (and liked 'em), but due to them being on the lineup of MDF I decided to get a couple of their albums.

Holy mother of goats. In album form, that shit is EPIC. Awesome and epic and unusual and interesting and I fucken love it. As a general thing, it's black metal. Middle-eastern-influenced black metal. Fear not the zither -- they incorporate the tonalities using the traditional guitar/bass/drum setup rather than tack some bullshit on in the background. But that's where any good handholds on genre stop -- the production values of Emissaries is clean and high, and the drums are way more technical than you typically hear in black metal. (Proscriptor of Absu was the drummer on Djinn and Sphynx) The song structures are not typical black metal, either -- there aren't breakdowns, per se, but there's a lot of black metal churning and then CLIMAX, then more churning. So, dynamic song structure on top of everything else. Vocals remind me of the guy from Rudra and he screeches a lot about the Sumerians.

In any case, I got Sphynx and Emissaries and I've been thoroughly enjoying them both.

Ha. What a terrible problem to have. :P

So, I had idly listened to Melechesh over the t00bs in the past (and liked 'em), but due to them being on the lineup of MDF I decided to get a couple of their albums.

Holy mother of goats. In album form, that shit is EPIC. Awesome and epic and unusual and interesting and I fucken love it. As a general thing, it's black metal. Middle-eastern-influenced black metal. Fear not the zither -- they incorporate the tonalities using the traditional guitar/bass/drum setup rather than tack some bullshit on in the background. But that's where any good handholds on genre stop -- the production values of Emissaries is clean and high, and the drums are way more technical than you typically hear in black metal. (Proscriptor of Absu was the drummer on Djinn and Sphynx) The song structures are not typical black metal, either -- there aren't breakdowns, per se, but there's a lot of black metal churning and then CLIMAX, then more churning. So, dynamic song structure on top of everything else. Vocals remind me of the guy from Rudra and he screeches a lot about the Sumerians.

In any case, I got Sphynx and Emissaries and I've been thoroughly enjoying them both.

that sounds fucking cool. i am going to get me some of that asap! thanks for the heads up!

For a fan of any heavy music, attending touring metal festivals means confronting some uncomfortable truths, such as acknowledging that the mutants surrounding you share common aesthetic ground and thus are now your peers in a very real way. Metal crowds look inbred, not only because everyone appears related, but also because everyone seems seriously defective. If you find yourself in this situation, it's delusional to suggest you're the only normal one.

:rofl:

so true.

Haven't been listening to much music lately. :(

But, for anyone in this thread who has a passing interest in bands like Opeth, Enslaved, Borknagar and the like, I highly recommend Gwynbleidd's debut full-length, Nostalgia.

The easiest way to describe it (?) is progressive blackened death, but it's got some heavy folk influence in there too. Songs are long, complex and they switch between quiet, folky and beautiful interludes and heavy crunching and are utterly compelling. Or, well, Mr. X and I both like the album a lot and we have somewhat dissimilar tastes in metal.

Anyway, I can't wait to see these guys live. :thumbsup:

Wow thank you for that, it's nice to start seeing Gwynbleidd get noticed out there. It is my hope that this continues obviously, allowing us to grow this band and write some truly inspired music.

Speaking of inspirations, I am a huge fan of "Song of Ice and Fire". It is most definitely my favorite book series, GRRM is a genius who kept me drawn to the book every time I picked it up. The world he created has so much depth, and so much feeling.. on a number of occasions I daydreamed about writing music inspired by the books specifically to see whether I could attempt to translate some of the themes and scenes into music. who knows maybe one day :)

thanks again, keep spreading the word about Gwynbleidd!! We need it, and we're hungry to continue this project.

Maciej aka Sfarog

p.s. see you in Worcester, MA on Oct 10th.

p.s.2. where is Dance of Dragons? Are we there yet??? :)

Wow thank you for that, it's nice to start seeing Gwynbleidd get noticed out there. It is my hope that this continues obviously, allowing us to grow this band and write some truly inspired music.

p.s. see you in Worcester, MA on Oct 10th.

:thumbsup:

The props go to you guys for making awesome music. Nostalgia is definitely in my top 10 for 2009.

Hell, maybe you could take a stab at recording a version of The Rains of Castamere. :P

Ooh -- I see on your myspace page that in addition to the Sept 19th show, you have another on Oct 26 in NYC? (I live in Brooklyn, but will travel to Worcester if I have to -- birthplace of the diner car is always a hot destination at Casa X.)

As for what I've been listening to lately:

Can't stop listening to Melechesh. The track Of Mercury and Mercury (album opener for Sphynx) answers the question "What song will make Xray feel like she could take a running leap off of Half Dome in Yosemite and fly all the way to the Pacific?" No, I didn't think that was a question that ever needed answering, either, but there it is.

But yesterday I was totally sucked into Dornenreich's Bitter Ist's den Tod zu Dienen. I almost missed my stop on the F train on the way home because I was so into the album. They're supposed to be putting out a new album soon and I'm curious to see how it pans out. But this one, from 1999, just soars.

Only a few more days until my emusic renews -- not actually sure what I'm going to with the 75 downloads, except maybe get some of the remastered Dead Can Dance albums (yeah, I know that's not metal, but work with me, people). I've kind of disappeared down a black/death metal rabbit hole recently -- that and grindcore, of all things -- and I need to resurface and get some context again.

finally got the chance to see harvey milk live last friday. dear god. those fuckers are heavy as FUCK live. so fuckin' good.

I keep trying to get into these guys and can't. I don't know if I just have the wrong albums or if it's just not for me or if they're just a band that one has to see live... It's a bummer because I want to like the bastards. :unsure: Maybe I'll try again in a couple of months. (It's not unusual for me to dislike a band and eventually come around to them.)

Archived