Metal Thread II: Son of Metal Thread

Xray the Enforcer

Nice!

I will definitely pick up the Grand Magus and Amebix and it sounds like Mourning Beloveth and Novembers Doom might be up my alley, too. (it depends on what type of doom it is -- I love epic doom, but other kinds of doom can be hit-or-miss with me.) I was thinking of getting some Einherjer, too.

Thank you! :)

I've seen plenty of criticism of Megadeth on metal forums. One that I read a lot, back when their last album came out, a guy said he liked it and got ripped apart for saying that because, obviously, any new Megadeth had to suck.

Metal forums are pretty bad places if you ask me. It's impossible to like a band who aren't HEAVY AS FUCK!!!!11!!1 without getting endlessly abused. The general response to something that one of the popular regulars disagrees with is "You are wrong emo".

Metal forums are pretty bad places if you ask me. It's impossible to like a band who aren't HEAVY AS FUCK!!!!11!!1 without getting endlessly abused. The general response to something that one of the popular regulars disagrees with is "You are wrong emo".

Ug, I'm sorry you've experienced that. I don;t know if you use Livejournal at all, but there are a number of healthy, intelligent and informative metal boards within. In fact, it's rare that anyone is subject to teasing because of their music taste.

Awright you dirty scurvy bastards, what are you listening to lately? I have downloads I must use and I'm casing the joint for good music.

TL -- of that list you posted earlier, anything of quality? (How was Crom? OMC?)

Should I be getting Amebix? Amasoeurs? Graveworm? What about Despised Icon? Cattle Decapitation?

The Crom album was pretty good, but definitely on the cheesy side. None of the other stuff really grabbed me, which was disappointing. I've noticed that I'm starting to come out of my black and doom kick. So maybe 6 months ago I would have thought differently on OMC and The Stone, but it just didn't do it for me now. I think I've moved into more of a traditional heavy metal and folk metal mood for the time being. There's really nothing new that has me excited either. I'm just hoping that the new Ensiferum in September is better than "Victory Songs". I've read one review which was pretty positive on it, but I haven't been able to get a hold of a preview yet.

And of course I'm anxiously waiting the coming of September for the new 3IoB as well. A little scared about no Jamie Hooper, but we'll see.

It´s embarrassing to say, but I think the swedes have better metal than us.. Anyways, just discovered

Have only been youtubing thus far, though I fear a CD-order is pretty close. They have a pretty relentless drum/bass section, with the guitar working on top of it. Oh, and they have vocals. Bah, I suck at analysing music, but it is quite good.

It´s embarrassing to say, but I think the swedes have better metal than us.. Anyways, just discovered

Have only been youtubing thus far, though I fear a CD-order is pretty close. They have a pretty relentless drum/bass section, with the guitar working on top of it. Oh, and they have vocals. Bah, I suck at analysing music, but it is quite good.

Plenty of Meshuggah fans in this thread, X-Ray especially. I like them quite a bit, and tech-death isn't even really one of the genres I'd say I'm a fan of. As for any album rec's, I'd leave that to X-Ray as she's the resident Meshuggah maven.

Ug, I'm sorry you've experienced that. I don;t know if you use Livejournal at all, but there are a number of healthy, intelligent and informative metal boards within. In fact, it's rare that anyone is subject to teasing because of their music taste.

It's on band's forums I've seen it. the maidenfans.com forum was one of the first I posted on and the attitude towards anyone who wasn't up to the same level of intelligence as the admin and mods got so much abuse. The regular posters slagged of the official Maiden forum for being childish but these so-called mature people were probably worse. What's quite odd is that someone from the next town along the coast from me was on the blazefans.com forum (run by the same people) and he and his e-friends got a hell of a lot of crap for no reason.

I don't have a problem...I can quit Meshuggah any time I want! :lol: :leaving:

For albums -- hmmm. Depends on what you like, which albums you'll prefer. The early albums -- Contradictions Collapse and Destroy Erase Improve mix technical metal with a punk aesthetic (the call-response-style vocals) and some free-jazz/anti-metal guitar noodlings. Really, those guitar solos (which are pretty awesome) are almost like blank verse in the middle of the song. Very abrupt transitions within the songs, where it sometimes feels like they've smashed two, three, or even four different songs all together and just gave it one name.

I like both of those albums (I prefer DEI), but the first Meshuggah album I love is Chaosphere. Songs and narrative approach feel more cohesive and focused, while still displaying the angularity of their earlier work. But this music is not like the prior two albums -- less frenetic -- and if you really like DEI and the "let's switch this shit up 3,500 times in one song," you might not like Chaosphere.

The albums Nothing and Catch Thirty Three are a logical progression from Chaosphere, except now Haake's drums/rhythm charge are definitely in the background (and in the case of Catch-33, programmed) -- most of the weirdness comes from the guitar section. I'm not a huge fan of these albums, but that's just a personal taste thing. They're solid with interesting songs.

Most recent album is obZen. It's probably my second favorite Meshuggah album (I find myself listening to Chaosphere as an album more often than obZen), but it has 3 of my favorite Meshuggah tracks on it, including all-time favorite "Bleed." Gods, I love the song "Bleed." Anyway, obZen is a synthesis of everything that has come before. It has the thrashiness of the earlier albums, but it ditches the herky-jerky tempo switches for the continuous mutation of the later albums. The music is really dense and claustrophobic and the drum work (not programmed this time) is amazing.

In any case, welcome to the cult glad to have another fan on the boards. :)

The Crom album was pretty good, but definitely on the cheesy side. None of the other stuff really grabbed me, which was disappointing. I've noticed that I'm starting to come out of my black and doom kick. So maybe 6 months ago I would have thought differently on OMC and The Stone, but it just didn't do it for me now. I think I've moved into more of a traditional heavy metal and folk metal mood for the time being. There's really nothing new that has me excited either. I'm just hoping that the new Ensiferum in September is better than "Victory Songs". I've read one review which was pretty positive on it, but I haven't been able to get a hold of a preview yet.

And of course I'm anxiously waiting the coming of September for the new 3IoB as well. A little scared about no Jamie Hooper, but we'll see.

Wait...

New Ensiferum?! I thought they broke up?!

Today rules so far.

Definitely not broken up.

I wished I liked them on CD as much as I like them live. I just can't seem to get excited about the new album.

Ah...well...that's the last time I get information from Wikipedia. It's always been such a reliable source of factual information! :leaving:

ensiferum is some great shit. it makes me want to swing a mug of ale in my hand while kicking the blood of my enemies off of my boots with my fellow warriors.

but, what i really want is a new album from jari and his project wintersun. we have been waiting entirely too long for his new album. it keeps getting pushed back and back some more. i imagine at this point it will likely be released alongside a dance with dragons! and then jari and george will do a massive world tour where he reads from his book while jari wails on his telecaster! it would be fucking sweet!

ensiferum is some great shit. it makes me want to swing a mug of ale in my hand while kicking the blood of my enemies off of my boots with my fellow warriors.

but, what i really want is a new album from jari and his project wintersun. we have been waiting entirely too long for his new album. it keeps getting pushed back and back some more. i imagine at this point it will likely be released alongside a dance with dragons! and then jari and george will do a massive world tour where he reads from his book while jari wails on his telecaster! it would be fucking sweet!

That album is never coming out. Jari will be working on it from the grave, I'm convinced.

Thus far, I have acquired 2 Amebix albums, a new copy of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, two Isis albums (which I thought I had but I couldn't find), the single track by Wormed (peeps were talking about this band in a few threads at MA) available on eMusic, The Novella Reservoir by November's Doom and a new copy of The Serpent's Egg by Dead Can Dance (remastered version). I still have a few downloads left, but I'm going to think about what I'm in the mood for. Inexplicably, I can't get enough of After Forever. The hell?

Thus far, I have acquired 2 Amebix albums, a new copy of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, two Isis albums (which I thought I had but I couldn't find), the single track by Wormed (peeps were talking about this band in a few threads at MA) available on eMusic, The Novella Reservoir by November's Doom and a new copy of The Serpent's Egg by Dead Can Dance (remastered version). I still have a few downloads left, but I'm going to think about what I'm in the mood for. Inexplicably, I can't get enough of After Forever. The hell?

Well, if you enjoy The Novella Reservoir, grab Dust by Mourning Beloveth, thats one of my favorite doom albums...ever.

Well, if you enjoy The Novella Reservoir, grab Dust by Mourning Beloveth, thats one of my favorite doom albums...ever.

LOVING November's Doom, so I suppose those last downloads will go to MB. (I thought they weren't on emusic, but they are -- I just spelled their name incorrectly the first time around. :dunce: )

To Grand Magus fans: emusic only has Grand Magus's s/t -- is this any good, or should I hold out for their later albums?

Wormed, btw, is...something to behold. It's brutal, dirty, brutal and dirty death metal. Lots of tempo changes, but it's not proggy at all. It's just...dirty. And brutal. I don't have Origin on my mp3 player right now, so I'm not sure they're a good comparison although they were the first band I thought of when I heard Wormed.

From an M-A review, which I think is pretty spot-on:

Saying Wormed is a brutal death metal band is like saying that Blasphemy are a black metal band, or that Incantation are a death metal band, or that Cryptic Slaughter play thrash. Yes it is true, they play death metal, but to just leave it at that is to do massive injustice to the band. When you think of brutal death metal, you think Suffocation, Pyaemia, and countless others, but whatever you think, it cannot prepare you for what Wormed has in store. It is as if the precision of Meshuggah mixed with the crazy beats of bands like Deeds of Flesh, Pyrexia, etc, were to travel to outer space and be raped by Prosthetic Cunt, and then gave birth to a child in toxic waste, to ensure mutations. That is what Wormed sounds like.

I can't wait to get more. :D

LOVING November's Doom, so I suppose those last downloads will go to MB. (I thought they weren't on emusic, but they are -- I just spelled their name incorrectly the first time around. :dunce: )

To Grand Magus fans: emusic only has Grand Magus's s/t -- is this any good, or should I hold out for their later albums?

Meh. It's very different than their later work. It's not bad, but I don't like it nearly as much.

Archived