Jon's Burned Hand

oxmix

I'd lean toward agreeing with you Knight who also squires on the side, he just burned his hand doing what needed to be done. I still think it could for the hell of it brought up or refrenced later on. It wouldn't surprise i mean.. that may not be the reason it was burned, it could be for the reason you said knight, but doesn't mean it won't double later on.

Jon, 25 years from now- sitting lazily on his thrown, his shirt about to burst at the seams from his fat belly, sexually harassing yet another serving wench and showing her his burned hand and scared face, saying he was clawed and burned by Dany's dragons before he roundhouse kicked them, a-la Robert's chipped tooth style. :P

Maybe GRR Martin really liked the book 'Johnny Tremain' (1943) and created Jon's burn as a homage to the children's novel based on conflicts and choosing sides during the American revolution.

Conspiracy? dun dun dunnnn

• 2 years later...

Because Stannis already had the market cornered on teeth grinding :dunno: As others have said it keeps Jon from being one demensional, it gives him a quirk, its a hero arc tradition...

*shrug* Lots of people have scars. By the time most of the warrior-types are older, they're missing fingers or have big old gouges in their faces or something. I guess this is sort of Jon's road down a similar path (if he lives that long). Like the other scar over his eye.

As for the relation to Targaryen...ism, if R+L=J is true. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was a way to throw us off the Targaryen trail ("Jon can't be a Targ, he's burned!") while simultaneously creating foreshadowing for Dany ("But Targs can burn").

As for the relation to Targaryen...ism, if R+L=J is true. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was a way to throw us off the Targaryen trail ("Jon can't be a Targ, he's burned!") while simultaneously creating foreshadowing for Dany ("But Targs can burn").

Viserys burned and he was a Targaryen but I agree it was probably to throw us off R+L=J and also to give meaning to the sword as if Longclaw is actually Lightbearer.

I thought Jon was acting very Targ like in this instance because he said that the flames felt like a kiss. He likes the heat. :)

Although there are non-Targs who like fire too like Selyse and co.

But if we go with the Jon-is-a-Targ theory, what do we make of a Targ with a bad burn? I don't know.

That he's human and humans get burned?

Whether Jon is a Targ or not doesn't matter. They aren't immune to fire. Dany's dragon hatching was a one-time thing.

Exhibit A: Summerhall

Viserys burned and he was a Targaryen but I agree it was probably to throw us off R+L=J and also to give meaning to the sword as if Longclaw is actually Lightbearer.

I know, I was thinking about that, too. But people use it as an argument to disprove R+L=J anyway, even despite the very clear sign in the book that Targaryens aren't inherently immune to fire.

I thought Jon was acting very Targ like in this instance because he said that the flames felt like a kiss. He likes the heat. :)

Although there are non-Targs who like fire too like Selyse and co.

Cersei seems a little overly enthused by fire as well.

Well, GRRM loves his character parallels. Sansa is the only Stark who's pretending to be a bastard, like her brother Jon, and she's currently in the Vale, within spitting distance of the Burned Men. Maybe Jon's burned hand is a hint that Sansa will end up with a certain Red Hand of the Burned Men?

Archived