American Politics XII

CloudFlare

I <3 Richard Lugar. No, seriously. I disagree with him on many things (the Federal Marriage act, his early support for the Iraq War), but he is easily one of the most reasonable, logical politicians in existence. It gives me comfort that even if something crazy happens and the Senate swings enough in 2010 for the Republicans to gain control, seniority gives the President Pro Temp position to him (granted, not as powerful a role as Speaker for the House, but still good).

Yeah, he's pretty much invincible in Indiana. The Democrats didn't even bother opposing him last time. Funny thing is, he gives off the vibe that even if he weren't, he still would have voted the same.

Almost 25 years ago, Senator Richard Lugar was the leader of a delegation of Senators (including freshman Senator John Kerry) who came to the Philippines to observe the election hastily organized by the dictator Ferdinand Marcos, to "prove" that he still had the mandate of the people after 15 years of martial law. Marcos's opponent was Corazon Aquino, widow of Benigno Aquino, an opposition leader that Marcos had had assassinated a couple of years earlier. During the election, Marcos's henchmen engaged in vote-buying, disenfranchisement of legitimate voters, intimidation, murder, and vote fraud.

Ronald Reagan didn't want to believe his pet dictator was guilty of fraud. I mean, it would look awfully silly for Reagan to be coddling a murderous, fraudulent thug after all his horseshit rhetoric about America being the "shining city on a hill." He'd even dispatched George Bush the Elder to the Philippines to toast Marcos for this "adherence to democratic principles" not that long after Aquino's assassination. Ronald Reagan, who spoke so stirringly in defense of freedom and democracy when rattling his sabers at a tottering Soviet regime, couldn't be bothered to register his displeasure at a militarily useful dictator who was oppressing, looting, and destroying his own country full of little dark people. So Reagan claimed that both sides must have been engaging in fraud. Lugar's assessment from within the Philippines was unambiguous. He condemned the Marcos regime and rightly stated that the fraud was overwhelmingly on the part of Marcos loyalists. He stood up to Reagan, despite Reagan's very obvious desire to keep one of his favorite dictators firmly installed.

All this is a roundabout way of saying I respect and admire Senator Lugar. And that I will forever piss on the memory of Ronald Reagan.

More GOP douchebaggery and distrution of town halls:

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/07/woman-mom-gop/

Rep. Steve Kagen (D-WI) faced a “heated†discussion about health care at a town hall meeting yesterday, with people in the crowd who were heckling, interrupting, and filibustering him.

One vocal attendee was a woman named Heather Blish, who identified herself as “just a mom from a few blocks away†and “not affiliated with any political party.â€

Her LinkedIn page shows something different. She was the vice chair of the Republican Party of Kewaunee County until last year. She worked on the John Gard campaign, who ran unsuccessfully against Kagen last year. And it says she’s a part of the Republican Party for Kagen’s district, as well as the Republican Party of Wisconsin, and the Republican National Committee.

Read an article in my local paper about my Rep. & HCR. Says he has concerns about the Dem solution/s (that it will cost jobs). But also that his district has been clear that it wants reform and they want to expand coverage to people who don't have it. It seemed like a friendly article to him, so I tend to think what it reports about the districts wants are accurate and if so, I am not sure where that leaves him.

Wait, lying straight to the camera about how your just a concerned citizen and not a part of nay political party when you are actually a GOP operative, that's "Community Organizing"?

No wonder the GOP was so against it!!

Archived